Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Why open carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, ,
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    I lived in Vermont for 20 years and never ONCE did I open carry, nor did I ever SEE ANYONE OC, except HUNTERS in blaze orange. We all know the gun laws in Vermont there are none.

    I have my Virginia CHP and my gun will never see the light of day in public unless I have a legal reason to draw.

    I'd be very upset if someone became concerned about me carrying a gun I don't want anyone to know that I have it.

    In Virginia I have recently seen two men OCing in stores, one of them in the Wal-Mart down the road from Bob Moat's. Both of these "men" were about 5 feet tall and weren't buying anything just walking around nervously to see what reaction they could get with their GUN.

    I think Texas has it right with regards to OC.




  2. #2
    Regular Member CaptainCharles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg City, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    70

    Post imported post

    Why open carry??



    The same reason you posted your thread, because we can......



    Although personally I never OC, unless required by law..I do not question those who choose to exercise their rights.

  3. #3
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    In Virginia I have recently seen two men OCing in stores, one of them in the Wal-Mart down the road from Bob Moat's. Both of these "men" were about 5 feet tall and weren't buying anything just walking around nervously to see what reaction they could get with their GUN.
    How do you know they weren't buying anything and that they wanted only to see what reaction they couldget?

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    ...SNIP

    I think Texas has it right with regards to OC.
    Well ... You take route 66 west to interstate 81 south, follow that to I 40 west and keep going until you see a sign that says "Welcome to Texas".

    Rights are like intellect, if you fail to exercise them you will soon find yourself without any.

    Welcome to the Commonwealth

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Richmond, ,
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.





  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Englewood, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    654

    Post imported post

    Taraus,

    Remember one thing before you make such a inapporpirate statement....

    We have the "Right" to open carry, but a Right not used is soon lost.

    We have the "Privilage" to conceal carry. It can be taken away from us without a whole lot of effort if the right people are in the positions to vote a new law in or Out.



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    I lived in Vermont for 20 years and never ONCE did I open carry, nor did I ever SEE ANYONE OC, except HUNTERS in blaze orange. We all know the gun laws in Vermont there are none.

    I have my Virginia CHP and my gun will never see the light of day in public unless I have a legal reason to draw.

    I'd be very upset if someone became concerned about me carrying a gun I don't want anyone to know that I have it.

    In Virginia I have recently seen two men OCing in stores, one of them in the Wal-Mart down the road from Bob Moat's. Both of these "men" were about 5 feet tall and weren't buying anything just walking around nervously to see what reaction they could get with their GUN.

    I think Texas has it right with regards to OC.


    A. Maybe they didn't have their CHP's yet
    B. People in Va have to exercise their rights more than people in VT. While they are in the minority, there are still people in Va trying to take our guns away.
    C. The law says they are allowed to

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.



    Umm name one open carrier who gets off scaring people. Surely there is one in this forum.

    And a CHP is a privilege not a right, just as driving on public roads is a privilege and not a right. If one requires permission from the government to do an act, no matter how freely it is given doesn't make it a freely exercised right.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    McLean, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    the main page, opencarry.org says "A right unexercised is a right lost"

    i couldn't agree with that more. i don't carry to try and get a rise out of people or try to get thrown out of places, i do it because i like to exercise my rights. i didn't even know i had the right to open carry until about a year ago. if i had known, i would have started carrying much earlier.

    i'm 6 foot 3, 200 lbs. i'm not 5 feet tall and i don't have some sort of napoleon complex. i'm not trying to scare people or shake up the public. i'm a fit young adult and i can/have defended myself when needed without using a gun. i don't carry to try and start a fight, icarry in orderto diffuse one if the situation ever arises.

    i gotin a confrentationin a parking lot in mclean 2 summers ago by an aggressive driver. he got out of his vehicle andstarted throwing punches as iwas walking into a store.if he had seen a gun on my hip, i really doubt he would have even gotten out of his toyota.

    i also carry for the same reason cops do: protection. i often times carry when i'm out in the boonies, on camping trips, and while offroading. when in remote areas, you're far away from the nearest cop. cell phones don't work and who knows if anyone's got their CB radio on, or if you're even in range for that matter. if someone started something with me, i'd have to deal with it myself, 911 isn't an option when you're on a mountaintop with no roads.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    McLean, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    also, just because you don't see people open carrying doesn't mean it doesn't happen. there are very few people living in the state of vermont,less than 650,000 people according to the census bureau's2005 survey. all of that divided up over 9,250 square miles.

    lets compare that to fairfax county virginia, right outside of DC (where a huge percentage of active members on this forum are from). a survey also done in 2005 puts the number at over a million. those people live within the 407 square miles of the county.

    fairfax county is 4.4% the size of vermont but hasabout 60%more people.
    what i'm trying to say is lots of people in a small area, people are bound to trip overone anotherand see more of eachother. also, this area is innundated with technology,the vast majority of people are on the internet, and many ofthem are on sites like this, talking about guns and learning about their rights.i don't have the statistics, but i doubtthat vermont hasa large percentage of their residents on the internet as opposed to here in fairfax county. could be wrong though.

    i'm not suprised you didn't see many people open carryingduringyour 20 years in vermont.people are just more spread out. the little suburb i live in here, a stone's throw from the district, has a larger population than the biggest city in vermont. i'm just comparing one county to the entire state of vermont. throw in a few other large counties and you can see why so many people open carry in VA. i don't think there's a larger percentage of gun enthusiasts in virginia as opposed to vermont, i just think that since the population is so huge, there is a greatre numberof gun enthusiasts walking around and excercising their rights. more for you to see, talk about, and hear about.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    I have my Virginia CHP and my gun will never see the light of day in public unless I have a legal reason to draw.
    I have a question for you, what do you with your weapon when you go to a restaurant that serves alcohol?

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.*
    You are expressing a very strange view of the universe.

    I happen to be 6"3" and around 200 lbs. I am aware that on occasion my physical size frightens and intimidates people simply because I am a lot bigger than they are. No gun involved at all, no fast threatening movements, no waving of arms, just me walking along in a store or on a public sidewalk, or in a mall, in normal street cloths. This is particularly true of toddlers and small children, but the occasional "adult" has reacted in fear as well.

    Are you suggesting that people like myself should not go out, or be allowed to go out, in public because we occasionally frighten someone by living on the same planet with them? Should I not go into a toy store to buy gifts for my nieces and nephews because i will scare the children in the store? I have the right to move freely about in society, and if that frightens people, well that's just too bad.

    While I agree that going out of ones way to scare or disturb people is wrong, I also think that if someone feels the need to go armed, they have the right to make that choice within the prevailing laws. If you carry concealed and people do not fear you, and they do fear you when they see a holstered weapon on your belt, then they have an irrational fear of an inanimate object, and they should seek counseling.

    The real question you should be asking is why anyone should fear a fellow law abiding citizen. If they are uncomfortable because they are unarmed and fear for their safety, they should realized that they have the same right to carry as anyone else and act accordingly.

    Perhaps I was wrong in my previous post to you. When you see the "welcome to Texas" sign, you should keep going about another 1000 miles. When you get to a BIG body of water with a lot of waves, stop and buy a house. That is where most of the people in this country go that believe that their rights supersede those of the people around them.

    Act ye not to remove the rights of others lest ye care not for your own.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    Then Taurusfan, why are you on OCDO? Are you a closet OC'er? lol...

    Funny, because the ONLY reason I applied for my CHP is because I need it to pick up my daughter at school and to make car carry easier. Otherwise, I'm OC'ing everywhere I can. No need ot cause fear in anyone. I'm a 220 lb 6' tall Italian from NorthJersey. If that isn't enough...nothing is.

    Imagine if we never told the former Soviet Union about our nukes and just played the old "you'll see what we've got if and when we need it" game that I hear many CC'ers espousing. We'd all be dust by now....

    I carry to defend myself and family, not just to get the "tactical advantage" in a shootout. OC is an in your face deterrent form of defense and my God given right.Better they leave me alone than have to prove it prove it on the battlefield.


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    I'd be very upset if someone became concerned about me carrying a gun
    Their problem, not yours.

    Both of these "men" were about 5 feet tall

    OK, so you have a problem with short men who OC, just short men, or just OC and you feel the need to comment on someones height even though it has no bearing on the carrying of firearms. Are five foot women allowed to OC? How long did you follow these men to determine they were not shopping? Do you often stalk law abiding people? Are you a former marine who happens to eat at Tony's Pizza? And last but not least, do you have a concealed carry badge that you wear on your belt when you are surveilling OC'ers?


    BTW, did you join OCDO to convince everyonethat OC is wrong, or are you just a bored troll?


    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post



  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    I have a question for you, what do you with your weapon when you go to a restaurant that serves alcohol?
    +1

    If a person doesn't want to apply for an information intensive CHP, how does he carry a handgun outside his property?

  17. #17
    Regular Member vermonter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    It's the people from NEW JERSEY and Mass who are moving to Vermont and ruining it! I for one am moving to Kentucky with the hopes that images of "coal miners daughter" will keep them away. I pray that no one from NJ or MA will follow me. I would never move to VA or NC as they are being flooded withthe same invaders! Taurusfan, why would you EVER move to VA after seeing what the PRNJ/MA flatlanders have done here? I am sure that VA natives are the nicest people in the world, but those pretentious, subaru driving, Bernie Sanders kissing, granola crunching.... Don't get me started! Vile Bastards!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.



    Umm name one open carrier who gets off scaring people. Surely there is one in this forum.

    And a CHP is a privilege not a right, just as driving on public roads is a privilege and not a right. If one requires permission from the government to do an act, no matter how freely it is given doesn't make it a freely exercised right.
    Just to reinforce your point, or what i think was your point.

    CHP is a priviledge
    OC is a right

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.
    Don't feed the troll!

    That said though, carefully consider responding to Anony Mouse too.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    I lived in Vermont for 20 years and never ONCE did I open carry, nor did I ever SEE ANYONE OC, except HUNTERS in blaze orange. We all know the gun laws in Vermont there are none.

    I have my Virginia CHP and my gun will never see the light of day in public unless I have a legal reason to draw.

    I'd be very upset if someone became concerned about me carrying a gun I don't want anyone to know that I have it.

    In Virginia I have recently seen two men OCing in stores, one of them in the Wal-Mart down the road from Bob Moat's. Both of these "men" were about 5 feet tall and weren't buying anything just walking around nervously to see what reaction they could get with their GUN.

    I think Texas has it right with regards to OC.
    Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here asking a valid question.

    I am a LEO here in Virginia and I asked the same question you did. I wanted to know why... and quickly learned that many carry OC because the have the right to do so and they want to protect their family.

    Some OC people have applied fora CWP but do not have it yet. Others do not care for aCWP and have chosen tojust OC. There are situations here in VA where you cannot carry concealed but you can OC.

    I believe some that OC people do not want crime to happen to them and making it known they are armed. Thismay causethe bad guy to choose someone else. Ifurther believe it is a little easier to draw your gun when it is not blocked by layers of clothing to hide it away.

    Not much hunting landin the DC Metro area so they are going to carry without the blaze orange here. Why buy a gun if you cannot use it on a daily basis. Plus.... if it is real nice... you can show it off too. Sweet!

    No need for you to be upset if someone else gets upset over it. That is there problem. Iunderstand you have no desire to upset anyone over something you do but.... if you OC... you are legal and it is allowed.

    Just keep in mind that... The bag guy is not going to broadcast that he has a gun by wearing it out in the open. The two guys you saw could have been nervous because they may not know how the store felt about them being armed. The OC people are trying to get a feel for where they can go armed without being challenged. Theyare also making an attempt to educate the public and make them aware it is legal to do. Many people... evenCOPS do not know it is legal.

    Again... welcome to the forum and don't take it personal if a few people jump on you here. They do it to me all the time.

    BTW: Some people cannotqualify for a CWP but can still owna gun. How should they protecttheir families? OC is theanswer.



  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.
    Open carry is not bad... It is not fully understood or accepted by the some of the public. Some people are scared of crime andhear thatguns are used in crimes.I can understand their fear but they need to know that the bag guy only shows his gun when it is pointed in your direction. He most likely will notOC.

    A few years ago I was on duty in jeans and a collared shirt. My gun was out in the open and I had mybadge on my belt above my front pocket andnear my gun. The young employee at Radio Shack walked over to help me, noticed my gun, and said "Your not going to rob me are you?"

    He was serious!! He knew it could happen and when he walked over to help me saw it and reacted with what was on his mind. I then turned slightly so he could see my badge and told him I was a LEO. He hadthislook of relief as he exhaled deeply.

    There are always a few exceptions to every group of people. Some may get a kick out of the reactions of others.. But I feel that most OC peopleare not like that. I do not believe that those who OC are getting off on scaring the public.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    I lived in Vermont for 20 years and never ONCE did I open carry, nor did I ever SEE ANYONE OC, except HUNTERS in blaze orange. We all know the gun laws in Vermont there are none.

    I have my Virginia CHP and my gun will never see the light of day in public unless I have a legal reason to draw.

    I'd be very upset if someone became concerned about me carrying a gun I don't want anyone to know that I have it.

    In Virginia I have recently seen two men OCing in stores, one of them in the Wal-Mart down the road from Bob Moat's. Both of these "men" were about 5 feet tall and weren't buying anything just walking around nervously to see what reaction they could get with their GUN.

    I think Texas has it right with regards to OC.
    You're entitled to your opinion. I question why you'd post it on a forum titled "opencarry.org".

    Why?

    1. Because I can.

    2. Because for me it's tactically more advantageous. Not everyone reacts the same or has the same reach, or reaction time, or presence of mind, so perhaps others will not feel the same. In my case, the sight of a gun on my person (if others even notice it; most don't) tells others I'm prepared to defend myself if necessary. The fact it is not the primary object of my attention tells others it's not there for a nefarious purpose.

    3. The one time I needed a gun I didn't have one, and if it had been in my purse anyway, I still wouldn't have had one.

    4. It enables me to see who's more interested in how I choose to live my life than in taking care of their own business. It enables me to see whois feeling morally superior because s/he makes a different choice. Then I can choose to live my life, fight the battles I want,and focus my activities more productively.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Burke, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    212

    Post imported post

    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.



    Cease fire for a moment. Where do you come up with this nonsence? I open carry pretty much everywhere I legally can because I have a family to protect and possibly other citizens as need be. Criminals will stay away from a man carrying a gun as long as he can see it, for the most part. I've never had any negative interactions while OCing and the interactions I do recieve involve uneducated people asking questions about OCing which I don't mind entertaining at all because that person I educated may tell his/her freinds about its legality and possibly more people will OC or carry because of it.

    Do not come here and disrespect this Commonwealth whichI hold so dear. I wish more states were like the Sovereign State of Virginiais. I don't sit here and quote GYSGT. R. Lee Ermeyand say "Holy dog ****. Texas? Only steers and ****** come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down"

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Burke, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    212

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    taurusfan wrote:
    The legal right is the CHP open carrying is all BAD if anyone sees your gun and is afraid you have done something very wrong.

    The fact is that many open carriers in Virginia are getting off on scaring people or making waves.
    You are expressing a very strange view of the universe.

    I happen to be 6"3" and around 200 lbs. I am aware that on occasion my physical size frightens and intimidates people simply because I am a lot bigger than they are. No gun involved at all, no fast threatening movements, no waving of arms, just me walking along in a store or on a public sidewalk, or in a mall, in normal street cloths. This is particularly true of toddlers and small children, but the occasional "adult" has reacted in fear as well.

    Are you suggesting that people like myself should not go out, or be allowed to go out, in public because we occasionally frighten someone by living on the same planet with them? Should I not go into a toy store to buy gifts for my nieces and nephews because i will scare the children in the store? I have the right to move freely about in society, and if that frightens people, well that's just too bad.

    While I agree that going out of ones way to scare or disturb people is wrong, I also think that if someone feels the need to go armed, they have the right to make that choice within the prevailing laws. If you carry concealed and people do not fear you, and they do fear you when they see a holstered weapon on your belt, then they have an irrational fear of an inanimate object, and they should seek counseling.

    The real question you should be asking is why anyone should fear a fellow law abiding citizen. If they are uncomfortable because they are unarmed and fear for their safety, they should realized that they have the same right to carry as anyone else and act accordingly.

    Perhaps I was wrong in my previous post to you. When you see the "welcome to Texas" sign, you should keep going about another 1000 miles. When you get to a BIG body of water with a lot of waves, stop and buy a house. That is where most of the people in this country go that believe that their rights supersede those of the people around them.

    Act ye not to remove the rights of others lest ye care not for your own.

    Regards
    Wow, Absolutly would have never thought about wording it that way. I understand its seriousness but also couldnt help but laugh at it. I mean why would anyone ever be scared of a manmade or machine made object? Hillarious! May I use that particular quote?

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    What do you think 'hoplophobia' means but 'fear of things?' The ignorant Zumbos think it means 'fear of weapons.' The root hoplein means as well 'thing' or 'instrumentality.'

    The pro-2A community is saddled by ignorance and ignorant would-be leaders as the general population. Dumbo and Anony Mouse are fine examples.

    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •