• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC Council Hearing on Gun control Scheduled for 2PM on 21 March 2007

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

[align=center]"Let's Give Self-Defense a Chance!"[/align]
Let's roll folks - I know we have OCDO members who live, work, or go to school in DC.

Let's sign-up for this event and speak. If you have them, brings some Guns Save Lives Badges.

I have emailed the POC to sign up and intend to ask the DC Council to simply conform DC handgun carry laws to the majority rule across the several states - open carry allowed at 18, concealed carry allowed at 21 with permit.

The hearing will be held on Wednesday 21 March 2007 at 2:00 pm in the 5th floorCouncil Chamber of the John A. Wilson Building. To sign up to testify, please contact Mr. Victor Bonett at (202) 724-4865 or vbonett@dccouncil.us.

---------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
> CONTACT: Jason J. Shedlock
> March 9, 2007
> Phone: (202) 724-8779
>
> Fax: (202) 724-8099
>
> MENDELSON TO HOLD HEARING ON GUN CONTROL AND GUN VIOLENCE>
>
> Councilmember Mendelson has scheduled a hearing that
> will focus on gun control and the problem of gun violence, as well as
> find workable solutions to stop the proliferation of firearms on the
> streets of the District of Columbia. This hearing, to be held March 21st
> , is especially timely in the wake of the recent Federal Circuit Court
> decision that has struck down the District’s gun control law.
>
> The public hearing, to be held on March 21st will also
> discuss the “Gun Violence Reduction Act of 2007.”
>
> The District of Columbia had one of the strictest gun
> laws in the nation. Even so, gun violence continues to be a problem,
> especially among youth. Preliminary MPD statistics show that 267
> gun-involved robberies and assaults were reported during the first six
> weeks of 2007, compared with 181 in the same period just one year ago -
> a nearly 50 percent increase.
>
> “This situation will likely worsen if the court’s
> decision is not overturned,” says Councilmember Mendelson. “Guns are
> too commonplace, already.”
>
> “As a community, we have become all too used to gun
> violence,” acknowledged Mendelson. “We must look for new strategies and
> this hearing is an opportunity for the Council to discuss the court
> decision and confront the need to reduce the proliferation of guns on
> our streets.”
>
> The hearing will be held at 2:00 pm in the 5th floor
> Council Chamber of the John A. Wilson Building. To sign up to testify,
> please contact Mr. Victor Bonett at (202) 724-4865 or
> vbonett@dccouncil.us.
>
> -30-
>
> Currently serving in his third term as At-Large Councilmember, Phil
> Mendelson is also Chairman of the Council’s Committee on Public Safety
> and the Judiciary. For more information, visit
> http://dccouncil.us/mendelson/index.html.
>
> Jason J. Shedlock
> Special Assistant to the Councilmember
> The Office of Councilmember Phil Mendelson (At-Large)
>> 1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Suite 402>
> Washington, DC 20004
> (202) 724-8779>
> jshedlock@dccouncil.us

markand

imported post

DC resident and former ANC Commissioner Deborah Jane Lindeman will speak, as will VA resident Mark Anderson

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

See
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/20/AR2007032001977.html

SNIP

At the D.C. Council hearing last week on the confirmation of Cathy Lanier as police chief, a parade of regular people told the panel what was happening in their neighborhoods. "Citizens with proper training should be allowed to have handguns," Joyce Saucier said.

"I do not support gun control, because it's been a disaster," said the Rev. Douglas Moore, who says he is a black member of the NRA. "The liberals have the illusion that you can take away all the people's guns and everything would be all right. I believe in the Constitution. We never had any police brutality in Hickory, North Carolina, because everybody had guns. One day a police officer slapped my uncle, and my grandfather came out with a shotgun and said, 'I'll blow your goddamn head off.' And my grandfather was a Methodist preacher."

Moore, a former D.C. Council member, said he was the only original council member to vote against the gun ban. He has come out this day to praise the ruling that overturned it. "Everybody in my family has a gun. The police aren't responsible for your protection. You have to protect yourself."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
"I do not support gun control, because it's been a disaster," said the Rev. Douglas Moore, who says he is a black member of the NRA. "The liberals have the illusion that you can take away all the people's guns and everything would be all right. I believe in the Constitution. We never had any police brutality in Hickory, North Carolina, because everybody had guns. One day a police officer slapped my uncle, and my grandfather came out with a shotgun and said, 'I'll blow your goddamn head off.' And my grandfather was a Methodist preacher."

Moore, a former D.C. Council member, said he was the only original council member to vote against the gun ban. He has come out this day to praise the ruling that overturned it. "Everybody in my family has a gun. The police aren't responsible for your protection. You have to protect yourself."
This reverend has got it goin' on. Good for him.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

We had 5 pro-gun speakers:

VA Residents who frequently travel to the district:
Me (OpenCarry.org)
Jeff Knox (Firearms Coalition)
Mark Anderson (businessman)

DC residents:
former ANC Commissioner Deborah Jane Lindeman
Valencia Mohammed, publisher of a DC newspaper

There is a web film of this somewhere - anyone know?

I gave the attached briefing - the 3 council members looked at the maps in disbelief - I think that they are in denial - and cannot believe the extent of gun rights across the US.

We need to communicate to DC residents what their gun rights would be if they lived anywhere else in the US

Thoughts?

Attachments

• After Parker, it’s time to give self-defense - comments to DC City COuncil Judiciary Committ...pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 244

30 cal slut

imported post

gives me goose-bumps reading this ;)

ProtectMd

imported post

lol. legal open carry in DC, I wonder how many gang members would take advantage of that... DC is also a city where open carry would be taken advantage of to further the use of a crime. However it would be quite interesting to see how they react when EVERYONE has a gun.Its clear they already enjoy the freedom to concealed carry and gain the element of suprise on an unsuspecting city of victims.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ProtectMd wrote:
lol. legal open carry in DC, I wonder how many gang members would take advantage of that...
Experience in most of the urban areas of the US indicate that gangs don't OC - this has been covered extensively on this board.

HerbM

imported post

ProtectMd wrote:
lol. legal open carry in DC, I wonder how many gang members would take advantage of that... DC is also a city where open carry would be taken advantage of to further the use of a crime. However it would be quite interesting to see how they react when EVERYONE has a gun.Its clear they already enjoy the freedom to concealed carry and gain the element of suprise on an unsuspecting city of victims.
Almost all murderers and other violent criminals have (multiple) prior felonies (or juvenile equivalent), in excess of 90%.

Open carry by criminals would give the police the heads up so that they could run their record and incarcerate them for the illegal gun possession (either felon or juvenile even without a record.)

Police say that criminals prefer not to use HOLSTERS since it identifies the use of a firearm even when empty too -- e.g., if the gun is thrown away.

--
Herb