• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interaction with Ffx Co LEO tonight

IanB

imported post

The neighbors back yard gate appeared to be broken by force. It was laying on the ground in the back yard and the hinges showed signs of blunt trauma. I brought it to the attention to the HOA since the house is vacant and nobody lives there right now. The gate was in working order as of two days ago.

The HOA called the poh-leece and they just arrived to check things out and possibly notify the bank (who currently owns the property pending sale) about the break in/damage.

I had been OC'ing outside smoking for a while and the neighbors two doors down (with kids outside playing) had seen me and were keeping an eye on me. I wondered if they called the PD on me, but he was there for the broken gate.

After the LEO took the report he saw me standing on my porch OC'ing while checking things out. He had to walk right past me to get to his car.

After he noticed me and saw I was carrying he said "Hello, how are you" I replied "Very good, and I hope you are too". He replied "I am doing well, have a nice evening". Then he stepped into his cruiser and was off.

No dumb questions about why I had a gun or anything.

Another informed Ffx Co police officer. I applaud them. They appear to have it together here.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

He would have to have been way off the reservation to ask about the gun under those circumstances. Think "CURTALAGE". You could even have concealed the weapon without a permit where you were standing.

curtilage

Virginia law states - § 18.2-308 - Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry

B. This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof;

And of course open carry would not be an issue where you were either.

Nice that he knew that and acted accordingly. Although the Tony's incident has caused many departments to send around reminders of Virginia law on this subject.

Regards

VAopencarry

imported post

FFX County PD has been aware of OC for several years now.

Manassas PD is in the minority, MOST PD's in the area are aware of the legality of OC and have been, even prior to the Manassas incident.

mercutio545

imported post

I've had friendly conversations with many LEO's (Chesapeake, Henrico, Richmond, Newport News), and I could tell that they saw it, but never said anything. I'm glad they started getting the memos.