• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age for FTF sale?

jeri534

imported post

Here in AZ, it is legal to buy a handgun if Im 19 through a FTF sale, is that the same for WA State?

Im a student ehre in Az and Im flying back up for a month and Im gonna look for a gun while Im there...

mattjohnston87

imported post

I can almost say with 100% confidence that you CANNOT buy a handgun (or long gun, I don't know...) if you aren't a resident of that state.

Now you said you were a student, so you might still have a Washington ID. In that case, I'll be back after I do some digging....

Matt

mattjohnston87

imported post

Alright here is the shakedown of it:

Ownership:

RCW 9.41.240

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

And read this as well: Delivery to ineligible persons.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.080

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Couple of points as I understand it from recently looking into a FTF deal with a Oregon resident who was going to be in Washington. After researchign, decided it wasn't worth the risk.

1- State law prohibits dealer from transferring a handgun to person under 21 years of age.

2-FEDERAL law prohibits ANY transfer of handgun to a person who is not a resident of that state. It requires an FFL to ship the gun to another FFL in the person's home state who then copletes the transfer. Also prohibits a person from importing a weapon into their state unless licensed to do so.

3- State law only allows certian circumstances where you can possess, so while if you are a WA resident, you could probably buy one FTF, but getting it back to AZ might involve breaking some laws.

I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once....

joeroket

imported post

Actually a person that is 19 can transport a pistol as long as he does it while it is unoaded and it is in an opaque case.

9.41.050 states:

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

9.41.060 which is exeptions to 9.41.050 states:

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper.

Now it seems the real question is can he legally purchase one. I do not believe he would have a problem. RCW 9.41.080 states:

No person may deliver a firearm to any person whom he or she has reasonable cause to believe is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

None of the 9.41.x statues dealwith transfer to a non-resident. Only with licensing of a non-resident. Of course they may be some obscure law that total shows the opposite of what I am saying but I haveyet to see it.

carnaby

imported post

I called the Firearms Unit of the Dept of Licensing and they verified for me that it is entirely legal to sell a pistol to a person between the ages of 18-20 inclusive. It is perfectly legal for them to buy the pistol. They cannot buy from a dealer, because federal law prohibits the dealer from selling to persons in that age range. Ordinary citizens are not affected in FTF deals, and only the states regulate that.

So it is clear that in WA state, it's ok.

apjonas

imported post

How many different threads are you going to start on essentially the same subject? If you are asking in good faith then you should have realized by now that the answer is dependent on several factors that you have not provided.