• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And to think I was scared of the sheep..

TheJordTrain

imported post

Well tonight was a low-key night, however, I said to myself I had to start somewhere and tonight might as well have been it. First I went to the sbux in Media, where I know most of the girls that work there. Not a second glance, not a word. If they knew, they didn't care. It was a nice way to 'ease in' to OC though, there was only one guy in the place besides me and he didn't make an issue of it.

Sbux was a stop on my route; I was really headed to my brother's across town to eat some chinese food and watch a movie. Problem with Media is that parking is a bear on saturday nights. So I parked up by the courthouse, two blocks away, and strolled down the main drag. Not a word was spoken! When I got to the only PNC ATM (a very conspicuous and well-lit location, within stumbling distance from most of the bars on the strip) was the only time I'd heard my OC mentioned. I had passed by a 50something couple, and the wife gave me a look. Well, from behind I hear hubby say, faux authoritatively,

"Must be a stakeout."

I couldn't help but chuckle. I walked back to my car without further incident, ate some chinese, a good time was had by all.

I don't feel weird walking around with it in public, or I didn't tonight. That might change on a sunny, sober (them not me) afternoon. And I didn't run into any cops. Things will improve, I think, with experience - and through this I've gained the confidence to *get* the experience.

I think it went rather well! thoughts?

TheJordTrain

imported post

To summarize (I thought this might go better in another post):

Ease yourself in!
1) Go somewhere where you know the help. It's a little easier than approaching strangers, at first.

2) Dress the part, or don't. I wore a red tee and some jeans, and the only person I heard mentioning it thought I was an undercover :shock:

3) Act the part, absolutely. I look, if one takes a small leap of unassuming logic, like a soldier/cop/bouncer, given the haircut and the weight lifting habit. But walking around like I was toting extra brass in my pants is really what I think did the trick.

4) If you can't meet people you know, take people you know. A big dog running around loose is cause to take notice - a big dog running around playing frisbee is just having fun.

5) Above all, try it, sometime, somewhere. You may well be surprised by the results.