• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a federal credit union federal property?

mercutio545

imported post

I was going to OC in chartway to go close my account, and I remembered it has a "federal" in the name, so I just want to be sure that it's not federal property and that I can carry there. Thanks for the clarification.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I was going to OC in chartway to go close my account, and I remembered it has a "federal" in the name, so I just want to be sure that it's not federal property and that I can carry there. Thanks for the clarification.

Not unless it is located inside a federal compound like a military base, or federally leased facility.

mlands

imported post

It is just the affilation for the financial institution. It is not federal property as such. Just like the *****National bank, etc. The only time you cannot carry in there is if it posted on the door or wall stating No Guns/Firearms or if they tell you to leave.

mercutio545

imported post

Gotchya. I don't think there is a no gun sign posted, and it isn't on federal property, but there is always a police officer or a guard in there. Can't wait to see what he'll say. Thanks for the clarification.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Unequivocally, "HECK NO!"

A federal credit union derives its moniker from the Federal Credit Union Act of 1934, "to make credit available and promote thrift through a national system of nonprofit, cooperative credit unions." It established the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions to "charter and oversee federal credit unions." The NCUA Board is committed to reducing regulatory burden, which enables federal credit unions to offer a variety of services to meet the financial needs of their members.

By law, a credit union is a member-owned financial cooperative, democratically controlled by its members, and operated for the purpose of promoting thrift, providing credit at competitive rates, and providing other financial services to its members.

It is NOT owned by the Federal Government.

While it is required to comply with federal banking laws, when it comes to matters such as the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, it operates like any other business, in that the business is free to operate within state law to either respect the Constitutional right of it's members to keep and bear arms, or to disrespect the Constitutional prohibition against any infringement.

Until we correct the massively twisted and distorted point of view held by the courts, less-rationally-minded business will be free to adopt the brain-dead, three-times stupid response of creating seriously dangerous "gun-free zones" in their walls, a target of opportunity which few criminals can resist.

Although so-called "gun-free zones" occupy less than 10% of the places visited by the general public, they experience a full two-thirds (66.1%) of all mass shootings, precisely because the public has been disarmed. When businesses disarm their customers, they engaged in the most flagrant violation of their safety, placing them at 17.9 times greater risk than had they adopted the same stance as Walmart and the vast majority of local businesses, who simply say, "We respect the rights of our customers commensurate with all local, state, and federal laws."

If state law says "Open Carry is legal," as it is in 45 of our 50 United States (90%), but a business refuses to allow its customers to OC, that business is NOT respecting the the rights of its customers under the law. Doing so invites criminals to prey upon their weakened customers, and dramatically increases the likelihood of injury or death for both their customers as well as their staff.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for the necro-post. Obviously the issue had not been settled 7 years ago.

Would you please explain, since you have opened up this can of worms, how a private enterprise "is NOT respecting the the rights of its customers under the law." Perhaps you could start by citing the law that allows credit union customers (since for now we are just talking about them) to act contrary to the rules established by the credit union regarding customer conduct on their property?

Next, would you please explain to me how credit unions can infringe/violate the constitutional rights of their customers? For some reason I always thought that it was only the government that could be accused of doing that. Or are credit unions - for this purpose but no thers - now arms and agents of the government? (In spite of everything you posted to demonstrate that they are not a governmental entity.)

I'm retired now. That means I have plenty of time to wait for your reasoned response.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a comment, but I'm not going to post it until 7 years from today.
By then we may have an official rule on necro posting - hope I live to see the day. Not that I am that dead set against necro posting, it's just that 7 more years would be a lucky streak extended quite nicely thank you.

1245A Defender

Really????

Sooo Ive gotta know,,,
Is 7 years 4 months a Record for a Necro post?

It would seem that Since9 did this through mistake or ignorance,
NOT because he actually wanted to make a scene.
He actually posted on topic!

I dont think it counts toward the record...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sooo Ive gotta know,,,
Is 7 years 4 months a Record for a Necro post?
--snipped--
No, but it deserves a serious Honorable Mention.

The oldest (most necro post) that I found logged in at 7 years 9 months - ranking it as #1:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?35096-Getting-a-new-quot-toy-quot-tomorrow&p=2040391&highlight=necro#post2040391

I hope you appreciate the effort - it took a while to individually check the over 1.4 million posts since OCDOs inception in May 2006 :p

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

No, but it deserves a serious Honorable Mention.

The oldest (most necro post) that I found logged in at 7 years 9 months - ranking it as #1:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?35096-Getting-a-new-quot-toy-quot-tomorrow&p=2040391&highlight=necro#post2040391

I hope you appreciate the effort - it took a while to individually check the over 1.4 million posts since OCDOs inception in May 2006 :p

I also did some research last night...
Found a good one,,, 8 years 1 month...
If I neco it,,, will I get a prize?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Nice find - no prize, but you got it locked for going off topic :p
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?34889-Moran&p=2075802#post2075802

sOOOO,,, i CANT HAZ A PRIZE????

OK,, you locked it,,, but now its posted,, and its no longer on page 4?? of the virginia sub fora...

ps... we here arent always just about open carry.
its just a message board.
some posters here are a pain...
I post just a little,,, and try to add a lot.
i am just annoying sometimes, I hope.

PPS... If you are keeping tack??
I do think I may hold the RECORD for the most NECROED of ALL necro posts ever of all time!!!!