• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any funny gun store interactions?

SIGarmed229

imported post

Just for laughs, I was wondering if any of you who have been to a gun store and/or gun show or work at a gun store have had interesting questions or actions with customers. One example would be when I was at a gun show years back I overheard a person asking a dealer about a "six-hour" and if it was chambered in 9mm. The customer had a broken spanish accent. Dealer responded with "I've not heard of those particular types of pistols" I thought to myself "it sounds allot like sig sauer. Turns out that is what he was asking about.

KLEMMTHAMM

imported post

I used to work at a local gun shop, and a guy came in one day and insisted that he was an "AFT" agent and needed a fully automatic weapon for his duties as such. I asked him what an "AFT" agent is and he said, "ya know... one of them guys that bust people for guns." I said "Ohhhhh, so then you must be their dyslexic agent I have been hearing so much about.... I am sorry sir, we are not a Class III dealer and so don't sell full autos." The owner overheard this conversation and called the police and the guy was arrested for public intoxication.

After it was all done and over with, I was LMAO.

Edit: I am not in VA but I thought it was funny so I posted it

67GT390FB

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
SIGarmed229 wrote:
Just for laughs, I was wondering if any of you who have been to a gun store and/or gun show or work at a gun store have had interesting questions or actions with customers.
No, not anything like that. I have yet to enter any of the local shops that didn't act stupid towards me because of my gender.

My girlfriend runs into the same thing alot. What really sets her off is if the sales guy only speaks to me about the gun. They also almost always start to hand the gun to me and I quickly tell them that they are not dealing with me but her. We did run into one incredibly dense guy at the gun show who just didn't seem to get it. SO she proceeded to make the poor guy feel like an idiot look at every gun in the case then leave. The other one tha sets her off is the that guns too big for you. She admits that it may be too big to carry but not too big to shoot. she likes her .44's and .45's.

As for good service at the gun shows look for Jim Jarret just ask for him at any of the tables most everyone will point you in the right direction. I know he goes to dale city,chantilly,richmond, etc. Kim had good luck with Rabbit Ridge as well.

Store wise in Richmond, try:

DeGoffs great service owners daughter-in-law works there as well so they don't have woman issues either. Askfor Neil(owner),Gray,Charlie or Joe, I think the ladies name is Tammy thats Joe's wife.

Dominion (they sell guns and have an indoor range and defense classes) Ask for Adam or Craig or Eric, all of these guys are professionals and Kim said she never had any issues even when going in there as a single woman before we met.

Greentop only bad thing is they like to automatically assume that this is your first gun so they try to point out .38 revolvers just immediately let them know what you are interested in and they get past that quick.at least they don't push the .22/.25/.32 crap for defense.

Man i think we must hang out in those places too much.

MarinesWife

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
SIGarmed229 wrote:
Just for laughs, I was wondering if any of you who have been to a gun store and/or gun show or work at a gun store have had interesting questions or actions with customers.
No, not anything like that. I have yet to enter any of the local shops that didn't act stupid towards me because of my gender.

My girlfriend runs into the same thing alot. What really sets her off is if the sales guy only speaks to me about the gun. They also almost always start to hand the gun to me and I quickly tell them that they are not dealing with me but her.
Car salesman are the same way!

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
My girlfriend runs into the same thing alot. What really sets her off is if the sales guy only speaks to me about the gun.
I was reall mad about how I have been treated in local gun shops, and some in Roanoke, and on some ranges. Even after purchasing my deer rifle, a Savage .270 with 3X9 Bushnell scope atGrizzly Archery in Buena Vista, I was STILL treated like an idiot by the salesman. Grizzly has a habit of jacking up the price way over the MSRP. I'm not getting anything else there. I like this one Lexington gun dealer, Agnor's Gunworks-a friend of mine who is a fellow hunter ed. instructor.

I was at the Blue Ridge Shooters Club gun range with Significant other trying out his little concealed carry Taurus, and his .44 magnum hunting handgun.

Ok, this total moron came up to us, treated me like some idiot female. He obviously didn't know me from the club regulars since none of them would have acted like that. He saw me shoot the .44 magnum. Then he saw me shoot my .357 magnum and that ended the stupid comments.

casullshooter

imported post

If you are willing to drive to Prince William County you will find the staff @ VA Arms very professional . (Center St. in Manassas) Prices usually about 10% below MSRP. I have seen many female customers there .

MarinesWife

imported post

VA Arms staff is full of hilarious people. Myself and my husband go there all the time.

bellbw

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
SIGarmed229 wrote:

My girlfriend runs into the same thing alot. What really sets her off is if the sales guy only speaks to me about the gun. They also almost always start to hand the gun to me and I quickly tell them that they are not dealing with me but her. We did run into one incredibly dense guy at the gun show who just didn't seem to get it. SO she proceeded to make the poor guy feel like an idiot look at every gun in the case then leave. The other one tha sets her off is the that guns too big for you. She admits that it may be too big to carry but not too big to shoot. she likes her .44's and .45's.

As for good service at the gun shows look for Jim Jarret just ask for him at any of the tables most everyone will point you in the right direction. I know he goes to dale city,chantilly,richmond, etc. Kim had good luck with Rabbit Ridge as well.

Store wise in Richmond, try:

DeGoffs great service owners daughter-in-law works there as well so they don't have woman issues either. Askfor Neil(owner),Gray,Charlie or Joe, I think the ladies name is Tammy thats Joe's wife.

Dominion (they sell guns and have an indoor range and defense classes) Ask for Adam or Craig or Eric, all of these guys are professionals and Kim said she never had any issues even when going in there as a single woman before we met.

Greentop only bad thing is they like to automatically assume that this is your first gun so they try to point out .38 revolvers just immediately let them know what you are interested in and they get past that quick.at least they don't push the .22/.25/.32 crap for defense.

Man i think we must hang out in those places too much.
DeGoff has great service, but their prices are usually a little steep. I had a bad experience at greentops, the sales guy wouldn't offer to let me look at any guns when i already knew exactly what i was going to buy because i look so young. I am 22 and look like i am about 18 or 19 so once i said i was ready to buy he was super skeptical and kind of insulting about whether i was old enough or not. It made me pretty mad:cuss:until the guy who rung me up started talking me up and giving me the chance to show that I knew what I was talking about :). Turns out, after many more visits it was just that one guy that acted that way. Everyone else has treated me with respect. Sometimes at the gunshows people look at me like I am some punk just trying to be gangster cuz I am obviously a skateboarder when you look how I am dressed. I just pass their table and go to the next, because little do they know I have been shooting for 14 years. So ladies...don't feel bad, I get discriminated against too. By the way...where is dominion and how can I get in contact with them?

67GT390FB

imported post

DeGoff has great service, but their prices are usually a little steep. I had a bad experience at greentops, the sales guy wouldn't offer to let me look at any guns when i already knew exactly what i was going to buy because i look so young. I am 22 and look like i am about 18 or 19 so once i said i was ready to buy he was super skeptical and kind of insulting about whether i was old enough or not. It made me pretty mad:cuss:until the guy who rung me up started talking me up and giving me the chance to show that I knew what I was talking about :). Turns out, after many more visits it was just that one guy that acted that way. Everyone else has treated me with respect. Sometimes at the gunshows people look at me like I am some punk just trying to be gangster cuz I am obviously a skateboarder when you look how I am dressed. I just pass their table and go to the next, because little do they know I have been shooting for 14 years. So ladies...don't feel bad, I get discriminated against too. By the way...where is dominion and how can I get in contact with them?

Dominion 276-2851 located right behind Southern Police Equipment on Midlo Tpke. DeGoffs and Greentop are virtually identical on pricing. I have discovered i don't mind paying extra if i get good service.

Joe

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Dominion 276-2851 located right behind Southern Police Equipment on Midlo Tpke. DeGoffs and Greentop are virtually identical on pricing. I have discovered i don't mind paying extra if i get good service.

Joe
Do y'all know of any place that is closer to Lexington? I know that place in Manassas. I was last there in 2003, Significant Other was driving. We were visiting his sister. We go over to the NRA museum which was really great.