• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Storing a gun in your car

vega480

imported post

I am new to carrying, I currently OC will be getting my CCW eventually. But my question is for those who leave their gun in the car when at work or when you are somewhere that prohibits carrying it, have you had any issues with heat? For example is it safe to leave the clip in the gun, or do you take the clip out?

mzbk2l

imported post

vega480, I live in Mesa, too (when I'm not working in Iraq).

I once went through a period where my employer did not allow weapons on the property, including the parking lot, so I had to be sneaky with mine.

I kept my pistol in the trunk and never had any trouble. It would be a little to hot to actually hold in my hand by the end of the work day, but it cooled off on the ride home.

I would be leery of keeping it in the car, unless you keep it OUT of direct sunlight. I have actually had a 3.5" floppy disc MELT on the back seat of my car. I don't know what the cookoff temp is for ammunition, but I don't want to find out by experimentation, either. :)

Vermont0311

imported post

Speaking of hot guns in cars: has anyone ever heard of a polymer framed pistol melting from being kept inside a car in the heat of summer? Seems like if they can handle the extreme heat of the weapon firing repeatedly it should be able handle that.

Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06

"Always Flexible

drifter44

imported post

SemperGumby wrote:
Speaking of hot guns in cars: has anyone ever heard of a polymer framed pistol melting from being kept inside a car in the heat of summer? Seems like if they can handle the extreme heat of the weapon firing repeatedly it should be able handle that.

Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06

"Always Flexible
I watched a Guns&Ammo tv episode where they put a Glock on a grill with cooking chicken. I don't remember exactly how long,but the only damage was marks from the hot grill bars themselves. The gun still functioned fine.

vega480

imported post

Thanks for the responses, I will just remove the clip and take that with me since I do not have a covered parking spot at work and just leave the gun in the car.

drifter44

imported post

That isn't a bad ideal if it will be in a hot car all day. When ammo gets really hot the pressure will be higher when fired. the point of aim will change some but I have never seen that much at handgun ranges. In extreme cold the pressure will lower and lower velocity.It may matter in a rifle but again not much at pistol range. I haven't fired much at less than 28 deg. so I can't say how much lower the vel. would be.

lostone1413

imported post

Get your CCW for places that have a sign. That is why they call it concealed. Have gun will travel

lostone1413

imported post

Get your CCW for places that have a sign. That is why they call it concealed. Have gun will travel

swatpro911

imported post

If I had to store my gun inside my car I have a special lock box installed in side my trunk, I usually take the clip off and I put the slide back and locked. When I am ready to roll i insert my mag and release the slide forward i am ready to roll!!!!

swat