• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OH He*& here we go ROANOKE TIMES:Bomb squad called to editorial writer's home

67GT390FB

imported post

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/108505

I really hope he just forgot he ordered something and is showing us what a ridiculous putz he is or that he sent it to himself in order to garner sympathy and more media coverage. I really pray no one that truly supports our cause would be this stupid. If this is a true threat and not some mistake or media stunt then this type of thing is completely counter productive to what we want. This is exactly the kind of stunt that causes people to label gun owners as nuts. If this was done as a threat I hope they catch the idiot and throw him under the jail.

Joe

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From the article: A neighbor lady said: "... I saw a yellow truck this morning. They delivered a package this morning. It said DHL on the side. ... "

Mr. Trejbal probably has an account with DHL. Shipping companies regularly deliver supplies without yourequesting them.I guess Trejbal is nervous??

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Sounds like he's trying to play the victim card to deflect blame from his own actions.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/108505

No bomb at editorial writer's home By Donna Alvis-Banks and Paul Dellinger
UPDATED4:18 p.m.
The mysterious package that was delivered todayto Roanoke Times editorial writer Christian Trejbal's home and prompted the closing of a Christiansburg street turned out to be full of blank mailing labels and cardboard mailers.
School Lane was closed, a state police bomb squad was called and at least some neighbors were evacuated after Trejbal, who attracted a deluge of criticism with a column about concealed carry firearms permits, found the packageduring a lunch-time trip home. Trejbal has received threats in the wake of his Sunday column, whichcelebrated opengovernment and public records andwas accompanied by an online database listing the about 135,000 Virginians who are licensed to carry concealed firearms. The information is available to anyone who inquires at county courthouses, or can be obtained on a statewide basis from Richmond.
Angryresponses poured into the paper's message boardsafter the column ran,with readers complaining that putting the database online would make it easier for thieves to find weapons to steal or for abusive spouses to track down partners who'd acquired weapons to protect themselves. The Roanoke Times removed the database from its Web site Monday afternoon due to concern that it might include names that should not have been made public, president and publisher Debbie Meade said.
Lt. Mark Sisson of the Christiansburg police said today that Trejbal said he definitely didn't order the package "so we're going to take every precaution."
Susan Thomas, who lives near Trejbal, called him a good neighbor, but said hehad upset people with his columns. She and others who live in the neighborhood were confused as police arrived at his home.
"We don't have any idea what's going on," Thomas, 64, said as the bomb squad examined the box."... I saw a yellow truck this morning. They delivered a package this morning. It said DHL on the side. ... Then I saw all the police cars. I asked them, 'Should we be concerned?' and they said 'Just give us a minute.' 'A minute has been two or three hours.' "
The box was full of blank mailers and labels from shipping company DHL. Wendy Parmalee of DHL's Blacksburg office said the box sounded like something that went to new customers and she was not sure why it was delivered to Trejbal.

VApatriot

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
From the article: A neighbor lady said: "... I saw a yellow truck this morning. They delivered a package this morning. It said DHL on the side. ... "

Mr. Trejbal probably has an account with DHL. Shipping companies regularly deliver supplies without yourequesting them.I guess Trejbal is nervous??
Don't y'all know that DHL stands for Disgruntalled Handgun Licensee?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, in order to be delivered, it must have an address and a DHL tracking number. Shouldn't take too much work to figure out what happened.

And if by some hapenstance, someone thought it would be cute to send a suspicious package to Trejbal, I hope they are caught and prosecuted. We don't want those types associated with honest and honorable CHP holders.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Hey wait a min. I saw a DHL yellow van next to my house today... Umm whats that number to the bomb squad?

IanB

imported post

I'm sure you can call DHL and request them to send you a shipment of DHL shipping materials. They probably will do it free of charge. Sounds like a prank to me.

ballester

imported post

I love that little part in the article that said the paper removed the list off of the site over the concern of some of the people on it....is it not closer to the reason that they had an oh suger moment and relized they screwed up? just wondering. almost sounded like they had good intentions for a second there...whew almost bought it....:cuss:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ballester wrote:
 I love that little part in the article that said the paper removed the list off of the site over the concern of some of the people on it....is it not closer to the reason that they had an oh suger moment and relized they screwed up?  just wondering.  almost sounded like they had good intentions for a second there...whew almost bought it....:cuss:

When I talked to the editor on Monday morning I pointed out to her that there ACTUALLY WERE crime victims on that list that were in hiding and had been advised by their local police to get a weapon, take the training, and get a permit.

She was astonished that this might be the case, because she had never heard of that kind of police advice. We also discussed code section 19.2-11.2 and that it might be that the list contained the names of people who should not have been released under FOIA, and that the VSP were going to be looking into that issue. She said she was going to call an editorial staff meeting as soon as she hung up to see what they should do. She also said if they heard from VSP that their was an issue they would pull the list until it was cleared up. That was at about 11:30 am.

I think with that uncertainty they did pull the list until they could talk to VSP, and I know that VSP was going to call them and suggest that it come down until they could get a ruling from the AGs office.

It had nothing to do with our privacy rights or even protecting people from harm, and everything to do with the possibility they could get sued.

I should also not that she called me after I talked to Landmark Communications and discussed these issues with them. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when they called her.

Regards

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ballester wrote:
I love that little part in the article that said the paper removed the list off of the site over the concern of some of the people on it....is it not closer to the reason that they had an oh suger moment and relized they screwed up? just wondering. almost sounded like they had good intentions for a second there...whew almost bought it....:cuss:

When I talked to the editor on Monday morning I pointed out to her that there ACTUALLY WERE crime victims on that list that were in hiding and had been advised by their local police to get a weapon, take the training, and get a permit.
This lib editor is really out of touch. Does she seriously think a useless little piece of paper known as a protective order is going to protect someone? The only person who can protect me, is me-hence my reason for packing to protect myself from my ex. I have written to two state senators, and gotten some excellent responses. Creigh Deeds said the list shouldn't have been released. Both Deeds, and Emmet Hanger say they will work to prevent this from happening again.