• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

armed guard open carry?

milkman

imported post

i live in michigan and recently got a job as an armed guard that picks up money and drops it off to less than safe places surrounded by sketchy people can i utilize the open carry rule walking into a bank and back to truck while of cours adhering to the locked and unloaded in vehicle policy also i notice that theother guards are wearing there pistols in the open does this violate the brandishing law here? i have applied for ccw but the county i ive in drags there feet and in the meantime its my life on the line

Legba

imported post

I live in Ohio (and I'm not a lawyer in any case), so I won't presume to advise you about the legality of the situation, but I have to wonder how your employer reasonably expects you toguard/move cash without one? Either they ought to have provided an opportunity for you to obtain a carry permit before you started (and even helped expedite the process if they're supplying "armed" guards), or explained that you didn't need one in the course of your duties, whichever applies. Completely asinine that this would be at issue after the fact. Personally, I'd go ahead and carry under the circumstances and risk a charge before going naked with a cash-hauling job. There may be a "reasonableness" standard that affords you an affirmative defense to a CCW chargein the Michigan criminal statutes - which is not to say that the authorities might not still have a basis for making a complaint - just that you might be able to beat it in court that way.Ohio had such an affirmative defense available to people doing hazardous jobs like that before they recently reworked the CCW laws. Ask your boss and/or check with a lawyer.

-ljp

milkman

imported post

i get my ccw on april 10 so if i can make it that long without the police hassling me i will be alright i guess in general they leave us alone but they really dont like the fact that we carryy guns i think its because some people look simalar to swat with tactical vests and thigh holsters but intimidation can play a key role in changing someones mind to rob u so they may look like yahoo cowboys but there is an effective reasoning for that i open carry and i support the open carry thanks for the reply