Thread: Video: Todd Jarrett teaching proper handgun grip

Post imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Well worth 5 minutes of your time.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Wow...that thing about the pistol being straight in your hand (and lined up with your elbow)is interesting. My muzzle definately points slightly inboard when I hold my pistol comfortably...almost like the grip was designed to be held that way. I can't tell if holding it "straighter" will help my shooting or not...I'll have to test that out on the range.

Does anyone know what caliber he's using? I'm gonna guess 9mm by the way he can keep the sights on target..

Post imported post

He was shooting a 1911 I think.

If you look at video of all world class master shooters they all shoot like that.

I've tried the "thumbs forward" style several times at the range, and my accuracy goes waaay down when I try that. But, in the long run, if you learn to shoot that way (and practice that way) it pays off big time with accuracy and speed. Todd was demonstrating the "thumbs forward" grip in the video.

Post imported post

The problem with that grip is your right thumb will be on the slide stop with a lot of non 1911 pistols, preventing the slide from auto lock on an empty mag. At least that has been my experience. That is smooooth on the draw.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

State Researcher

Post imported post

So I lied, my muzzle points outboard. Anyway yeah, I noticed that if I put my thumb up there, I was resting right on the slide-lock..we'll just have to see how it works at the range.

Post imported post

Here's a very good article on "thumbs forward". Pls note that Dave Sevingy (who uses a Glock and is prolly the best shooter in the world right now) uses this grip in competition. Take a look at the pics. You will notice the thumbs are below where your slide stop would be.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_t...ombatg_100306/

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

In my opinion, and from everything I have witnessed, flinching is the single most common cause of poor accuracy. If you can't consistently make a 3" group with a modern pistol at 7 yds, you are flinching. I cured my flinching by just practicing dry firing. A good grip is very helpful in being consistent, but if you flinch, you will never be consistent no matter how good your grip is.

Post imported post

Very true Rev.

The dang "7 o'clock" problem.

Post imported post

I have a somewhat unique way of holding my pistol as well. I'm FAR from a world-class shooter or anything, but it works for me, and I'm combat accurate with my Walther P99 well out to 50 yards using it.

I'll have to take a picture of it, because it's somewhat hard to describe...but it works for me with just about every pistol I own including several Ruger Mark II target pistols....I can reliably hit a 12oz soda can at 55 meters using it from a standing position.

The main difference between what I do and what I see most other shooter do is that I hold the gun closer to my face...my elbows are bent at about 45-55 degrees, and I rest the index finger of my left hand on the front of the trigger guard.

This is just my "natural" way of holding a handgun, which I know contradicts many principles of what other shooters learn.

I'm not trying to be a world-class marksman though....I'm practicing to potentially save my own life. I do what comes naturally because it is faster for me to get my gun clear of the holster and on target...although I use "point-shooting" from the time my gun clears the holster until the time I get it to full draw, then I switch to aimed fire using my rather unorthodox grip.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Good video -Thanks. Looks like something else I'll have to try and practice on. It's like the same stance and grip a guy at work and I were talking about. Square shoulders, straight arms.