• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL will hold a public meeting this Thursday, Mar 15, 8PM!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Have you remembered to sign up for the VA-ALERT yet? If so,
are you enjoying it? If not, what are you waiting for? It's FREE!
just click

http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert.html

------------------------------

From Today's VA-ALERT:

1. VCDL Public Meeting this Thursday

VCDL will hold a public meeting this Thursday, Mar 15.

6507 Columbia Pike
Annandale, VA 22003
Fellowship: 1930 - 2000 (7:30pm - 8:00pm)
Meeting: 2000 - 2130 (8:00pm - 9:30pm)

Items for discussion at this meeting will address the recent Roanoke
Times articles and the National Parks issue. The public is welcome!

Following the meeting, many members adjourn to a nearby restaurant for
more fellowship.

For directions: http://www.mapquest.com/directions

The VCDL meeting schedule for 2007 can be found at:

http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html

67GT390FB

imported post

Why are all the meetings scheduled for Northern VA and none scheduled for the Henrico or Chesterfield locations? Is there a problem booking the other venues?

Joe

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

There have been several meetings in Henrico area in last several years. Maybe email Philip and let him know you want more meetings dfown there and can help recruit new memebrs.

72Malibu

imported post

How far away do people come to these meetings? I'd love to attend, but being near Charlottesville, it seems too far for me. That and wifey won't be happy if I abandon her at home to take care of the boy herself for a night.

Plus, since every one seems to be on a thursday and run until 9:30 minimum, that would put me home near midnight and I get up at 5am on work-nights. Too bad they weren't on a Friday.

67GT390FB

imported post

I'm not complaining as I haven't joined VCDL yet. I believe my girlfriend and I may try and make this meeting tomorrow but as Malibu pointed out its a pretty good haul from Richmond to Nova especially with traffic and not getting off work until 6:00. It just struck me as odd that all 10 of the meetings are scheduled for NOVA. I wasn't expecting every meeting to be in my backyard but maybe a couple. That is why i was asking if there was a problem with bookingthe central VA venues in Henrico and Chesterfield.

Joe

67GT390FB

imported post

no regional divisions that i know of. i guess i need to clarify what i mean by problem. by problem i mean not a problem of vcdl booking only NOVA sites, but a problem with the venues themselves to be able to book the CENVA locations.

joe

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's what I meant. Perhaps we need Northern, Southern and Western divisions? Montly Divisional meetings and quarterly (or greater) state wide meetings?

IanB

imported post

I have also wondered about videotaping the meeting discussion (only person on video would be the speaker at the front of the room. Crowd would not be on video for privacy reasons but the audio would be picked up if the crowd spoke) and posting the video on Youtube. This would make our meeting more accessible to those who are not in NoVA. I know if these meeting were in Richmond I would not attend them but I would appreciate the opportunity to watch taped meetings.

72Malibu

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Do I smell Regional Divisions?

Nah, that's just the onions on the sandwich I'm currently eating for lunch.

I had met someone at the gun shop north of Charlottesville a couple of weeks ago who said he was a regional coordinator or something for VCDL? Maybe for VCDL booths at gun shows? I don't remember his name (I'm horrible with names). I thought maybe he was involved with regional meetings that would include the Charlottesville area. That was the day after I joined VCDL too.

Edit:

Nevermind, I recognized his name on the VCDL website, he's one of the Shenandoah Gun Show Coordinators (Bob Schmidt). He was one of the guys that helped me make the decision to by my little Kel Tec PF9.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The main reason for the meetings being in NOVA is that it is a stronghold of members. Even Philip drives up from Henrico for the meetings.

BTW I will be at the meeting as usual, I expect to see the Marine Mafia and Tonys 7 as well.

casullshooter

imported post

The VCDL started as the NVCDL(N for Northern) before it went statewide , this explains the concentration of members in our area . I am glad that it has expanded howeverit will just take some time to expand the organizational side as well .

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm really gonna try to be there, but my wife is having surgery first thing in the morning, cardiac catheterization. It's a preliminary procedure and fairly commonplace now, but she's still my wife. She wants me to go, but that all depends on how well she's doing.

VAopencarry

imported post

I don't know if it is the fact it was NVCDL, as much as NOVA= a lot of frikkin people. A lot of frikkin people = more members of VCDL in NOVA or I would say any statewide organization.

I may or may not be there, as usual, won't know until tomorrow. Might be able to make Fuddrucker's if not the meeting.

SIGarmed229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The main reason for the meetings being in NOVA is that it is a stronghold of members. Even Philip drives up from Henrico for the meetings.

BTW I will be at the meeting as usual, I expect to see the Marine Mafia and Tonys 7 as well.

+1 for the Marine Mafia and Tonys 7

The wife and I will be there for the first time. As well as Fuddruckers.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

To bad for you SIG that only the Tonys 7 and Super Moderator know everyone in the Tonys 7 :D.

SIGarmed229

imported post

It will forever remaina mystery for me.. I was simply giving the Tonys 7 collectivly as a group the +1 for educating the MPD and citizens in Manassas the OC is totally legal and now everyone knows it. So +1 as a tribute to them.

VApatriot

imported post

hlh wrote:
Yea, why not have the meeting 50% of the time on this side of the Mason Dixon line? :D
Sir, I take great offence to that! LOL!

Hey, the northern portion of our great Commonwealth may not be much of the heart of Dixie anymore, but by golly it is still the start of Dixie. And, don't y'all forget what a formidable fighting force the Army of Northern Virginia was.