• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Horse Center - Lexington?

sitedzn

imported post

when will you be there? i've got an intern from VMI working for me right now who's on spring break. he'll be back up there on Monday if it's not too late to have him check it out.

xdfan

imported post

Well, I was there - all weekend in fact, but for comfort I kept my jacket on and gun concealed. T'was a bit chilly, to say the least! No mention of guns in any signage.

Today I saw an apparently unarmed Horse Center security guy walking around, periodically stopping and scanning the crowd. He seemed somewhat unhappy to be there. I did notice he had a pair of handcuffs on his duty belt.

Really pretty area though, and the nicest folks! Looking forward to visiting Virginia again, perhaps when the Blue Ridge Parkway is fully open (parts closed right now).

BTW, I did OC in a couple restaurants, one near the Horse Center and another in downtown Lexington... no one seemed to notice. If it only had been warmer...

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

xdfan wrote:
Really pretty area though, and the nicest folks! Looking forward to visiting Virginia again, perhaps when the Blue Ridge Parkway is fully open (parts closed right now).
Glad you had a good trip... just remember on your next visit that Blue Ridge Parkway is part of the NPS and carry is a no go for now....

Next time you're in Lexington drop by Southern Inn. They had good food and handled open carry very well. I think I was one of the first people there that didn't follow a sugestion that it may be illegal and return the gun to the vehicle. After a quick explanation on VA law while continuing to be served, the person that addressed me disappeared to verify the info I provided. Then he came back and wished us a pleasant meal.

I recommend them to everyone heading that way! That way when I return, it will not be such a shock to see a .45 hanging from someone's hip.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

xdfan wrote:
Well, I was there - all weekend in fact, but for comfort I kept my jacket on and gun concealed. T'was a bit chilly, to say the least! No mention of guns in any signage.

Today I saw an apparently unarmed Horse Center security guy walking around, periodically stopping and scanning the crowd. He seemed somewhat unhappy to be there. I did notice he had a pair of handcuffs on his duty belt.
I was part of the event staff at the Rodeo in Feb. I saw VHC armed security at that event. The center has a mounted unit. I haven't really seen the mounted security that often, except at horse shows where I am competing.

xdfan

imported post

You'll be pleased to know that the restaurant we visited in downtown Lexington was none other than the Southern Inn. The other place was the Redwood Family Restaurant near I-64 & 11.

A friend from Stuarts Branch who met up with us used the curious phrase "hoity-toity" to describe the place, but was quite happy to let me buy his lunch. :)

xdfan

imported post

Yep, before deciding to try Redwood Family Restaurant - which was pretty good BTW but cash/check only, my family dropped by Cafe Michel and seeing an avg. $28 per entree - we kept driving.

67GT390FB

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
xdfan wrote:
Glad you had a good trip... just remember on your next visit that Blue Ridge Parkway is part of the NPS and carry is a no go for now....

Next time you're in Lexington drop by Southern Inn. They had good food and handled open carry very well. I think I was one of the first people there that didn't follow a sugestion that it may be illegal and return the gun to the vehicle. After a quick explanation on VA law while continuing to be served, the person that addressed me disappeared to verify the info I provided. Then he came back and wished us a pleasant meal.

I recommend them to everyone heading that way! That way when I return, it will not be such a shock to see a .45 hanging from someone's hip.

here's another place to stop in on your way to lexington follow the link here:

http://www.whitestruckstop.com/arsenal.htm

Owned by Jennifer White
General Manager Teresa Fisk
2440 Raphine Rd, Raphine Va. 24472
I-81/64 Exit 205
Phone- 540-377-2111
for some reason i don't believe you will have a problem OC'ing there. I am new to open carry but we would always stop in here when family road tripping growing up.

yes the thompson and the mauser are class III.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

xdfan wrote:
Yep, before deciding to try Redwood Family Restaurant - which was pretty good BTW but cash/check only, my family dropped by Cafe Michel and seeing an avg. $28 per entree - we kept driving.
Significant other wanted to go to Cafe Michel for coffee. I don't eat out, not with food allergies. One place that you might like is Berky's Restaurant at the Lee Hi Truck plaza on Route 11 just off I-81, it has some good food according to S.O. We were there once for the Hunter Ed. Instructor Awards Banquet. I found the place a tad creepy despite being there with a bunch of game wardens. There is an awful lot of smoking that you have to pass through to get to non-smoking sections.