• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Pizzaria shooting

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Heard on the way into the office this morning about the NY shooting. Bloomberg is quoted by wtop as saying the man had a small arsenal (2 handguns and 100 rounds). I guess he'd lay a golden egg if he saw just about any one of us on the way to the range!!!

Besides the fact that this can't happen where there are so FEW legal handguns!

WTOP/AP story

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Looks like NYPD did a great job on this pig. He shot some poor schmoe 15 times in the back!

psmartin

imported post

Bloomie would definately have a stroke at a gun range.. 3 handguns and 500 rounds, that's enough to capture a small country after all!!

Only in New York would be find "volunteer unarmed police officers" -- Why in the &&&& do you chase someone with a gun who has already ambushed 1 person!?!?

--------------------

NEW YORK - A gunman shot and killed a pizza parlor employee and two unarmed volunteer police officers who pursued him, then was shot to death by other officers in a series of shootings in a crowded Manhattan neighborhood Wednesday, the mayor said.

The bedlam began around 9 p.m., when the gunman went into the pizzeria, asked for a menu and then shot an employee 15 times in the back, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The two auxiliary officers — civilian volunteers who wear uniforms, are unarmed and help patrol streets — followed the killer briefly before he turned his gun on them, the mayor said.

coltcarrier wrote:
Heard on the way into the office this morning about the NY shooting. Bloomberg is quoted by wtop as saying the man had a small arsenal (2 handguns and 100 rounds). I guess he'd lay a golden egg if he saw just about any one of us on the way to the range!!!

Besides the fact that this can't happen where there are so FEW legal handguns!

WTOP/AP story

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

psmartin wrote:
Only in New York would be find "volunteer unarmed police officers" --
That's not true. There are volunteer auxilary police efforts all over the country. New York's works pretty well. NYC can be bashed for lots of things but having an auxilary voluntary police force ain't one of them.

psmartin wrote:
Why in the &&&& do you chase someone with a gun who has already ambushed 1 person!?!?
The two volunteer guys were probably trying to help or just put themselves into a vulnerable position. Under extreme stress they may havemade fatal errors. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere...

The main story is that some madman with a gun viciously murdered 3 human beings. Not that NY has a auxiliary volunteer police force.

molonlabetn

imported post

When handguns are banned, only criminals will have them.

It is painfully obvious that if ANYONE else in the vicinity had been armed, there would be at least a few more good people alive right now.

molonlabetn

sitedzn

imported post

luckily here in chesterfield the auxilliary volunteers CAN carry.

psmartin

imported post

That probably came off sounding the wrong way..

the intended point was: although the two unarmed aux's made an attempt, and definately had bigger "brass ones" that most (I for one would have broken the land-speed-record running away, gun or not), but it's shocking that "politics"(ie: no guns allowed for aux) might have contributed to their fall.

One of th news reports indicated they were pursing the guy, but others indicate otherwise.

HankT wrote:
psmartin wrote:
Only in New York would be find "volunteer unarmed police officers" --
That's not true. There are volunteer auxilary police efforts all over the country. New York's works pretty well. NYC can be bashed for lots of things but having an auxilary voluntary police force ain't one of them.

psmartin wrote:
Why in the &&&& do you chase someone with a gun who has already ambushed 1 person!?!?
The two volunteer guys were probably trying to help or just put themselves into a vulnerable position. Under extreme stress they may havemade fatal errors. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere...

The main story is that some madman with a gun viciously murdered 3 human beings. Not that NY has a auxiliary volunteer police force.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

psmartin wrote:
That probably came off sounding the wrong way..

the intended point was: although the two unarmed aux's made an attempt, and definately had bigger "brass ones" that most (I for one would have broken the land-speed-record running away, gun or not), but it's shocking that "politics"(ie: no guns allowed for aux) might have contributed to their fall.

One of th news reports indicated they were pursing the guy, but others indicate otherwise.

Yah, psm, I can see that point. But the whole design structure for the auxiliary force is that its role is for (artificially) increasing perception of PD presence and to furnish extra eyes and ears to report crimes.Politics plays a part in the design of the auxiliary but there are other, likely more important factors that determine the structure and operations: liability, managability, cost, etc. I think that most auxiliary police groups across the country do not carry guns. So, it's entirely normal.

It's still kind of fuzzy how those two auxiliary officers died but one thing for sure, they were killed in the line of duty. Very probably they were acting bravely in their requisite role. But the madman with a gun just took 'em out. One of the auxiliaries was wearing a vest so he probably got shot in the head.

Kudos to NYPD officers for destroying that murderer. Those guys acted bravely, too.

BTW, I'm with you. Fleeing is often (not always) a smart and effective defense tactic. For civilians, I mean. LEOs don't have that choice.