• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA jobs

Haroon

imported post

I am trying to move out of MD to VA. If anyone anyone has any job connections let me know. After being able to OC in VA and knowing what type of laws they have compared to MD and getting familiar with the VCDL, I think its time to move! I am looking for a job relating to the computer field or an entry level construction job. If you PM me I can give you details of my skills, thanks.

Haroon

imported post

No degree, but experience

Here is part of my resume:

Work Experience

10/2004 - Present - PC/Network Technician - Howard Community College

- Developed a PHP/SQL license and software tracking web site

- Developed web servers running Debian Linux/MS IIS, PHP, Apache, mySQL/PostgreSQL

- Set up proxy servers with Squid and FreeBSD 4.10

- Maintained www.marylandtraining.com and www.mdcommunitycolleges.com

- Developed and administered production Windows XP, 2000, and 2003 servers in an Active Directory environment

- Used the HEAT ticketing system to keep track of calls

- Isolated IT problems in a Windows and Mac environment

- Resolved corrupted software by network downloads, hard disk duplication, hot-fix patches, or disk installs

- Utilized various security tools to analyze computer integrity on compromised systems

- Imaged computers with Norton Ghost

- Unpacked and configured Dell desktop computers with LCD monitors in classrooms. Approximately 500 units in 20 rooms

11/1999 - 09/2004 - Computer Technician - James Real Estate Group

- Created interactive flash presentations with Macromedia Flash

- Developed and maintained www.james-group.com and http://www.formyhomevalue.com

- Composed high-end documents, brochures and postcards

- Maintained internal, departmental documentation web pages

- Analyzed areas of improvement and recommended/implemented new tools and resources to increase productivity

- Wrote technical support documentation

- Created virtual tours and panoramic images with Visual Tour

- Created business cards and marketing material

01/2003 - 06/2003 - PC/Network Technician - Howard Community College (BTC Division)

- Administered a Windows 2000 Server based network including transporting, installing, configuring and troubleshooting hardware, software, and network connectivity problems

- Installation, configuration and support of computers using Windows 98, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory, including the resolution of hardware, software and networking issues

- Computer repair procedures including the verification of computer networking operations, involving hardware, software and networking connectivity issues.

Technical Expertise

Windows Operating Systems:
- Windows 95 and 98
- Windows ME
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory
- Windows 2003 Server with Active Directory

Linux/Unix Operating Systems:
- Red Hat
- Debian
- Fedora Core
- FreeBSD
- Developed a FreeBSD/Squid live CD
- OpenBSD

Additional Technical Skills:
- Shell Scripting
- Macromedia DreamWeaver
- Macromedia Flash
- mySQL
- PostgreSQL
- HTML
- CSS
- PHP
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Photoshop
- Norton Ghost
- Apache HTTP Server
- Microsoft IIS
- HEAT Ticketing System
- Microsoft Office
- Star Office / Open Office
- Microsoft FrontPage

Spoken Languages
- English
- Spanish - 4 years education
- Urdu

Education
- 09/2003- present - Howard Community College - Columbia, MD
- 09/1999 - 05/2003 - Hammond High School - Columbia, MD

72Malibu

imported post

I work in Test Engineering at my company, looks more like you're network/web design experienced. Our IS/IT/Network department hasn't posted anything job-wise, or I'd PM you for your resume and contact info.

I've been looking on monster at jobs around this area (Charlottesville), I remember seeing some with keywords that match many in your resume. Try searching for jobs in this area. Be forewarned though, having just recently moved here myself, I was shocked at the salary vs cost of living for C'ville and the surrounding areas. Was a little higher than I expected or researched, but the housing market is slowing, so it's becoming a buyer's market.

Good luck in your search!

You know what, I'm going to PM you anyway, My company's growing and I'm not 100% sure what they're looking for, but you could browse the careers website and see if anything fits. We actually have someone starting next week who's moving here from MD (He's originally from C'ville though).

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Haroon, there's an opening at my companyhere in Alexandria. Sounds like a good fit too. Here's the link (and you can apply online):

http://careers.vsecorp.com/Careers.aspx?adata=T0Zi23ZGDBkQgGhgnvtgMhwQPJadVa14IHZDCf%2b3SmmqRfS4CrU5R1v6CqF%2bTVXL%2bwk6BSlDWZ%2fkVPDJUgElXw%3d%3d

and here's the job description:

1872: Network Technician

Employment Type
Part Time/Regular

Job Description & Responsibilities

Job Description:
o Description: Installs, configures and upgrades operating systems and software, using standard business and administrative packages; may modify specific applications for use in operational departments.
o Installs, assembles and configures computers, monitors, network infrastructure and peripherals such as printers, scanners and related hardware; pulls cables and rewires or directs the rewiring of cables as required for new installations and office reconfiguration.
o Troubleshoots problems with computer systems, including troubleshooting hardware and software, e-mail, network and peripheral equipment problems; makes repairs and corrections where required.
o Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.

Qualifications Required

Knowledge and Skills:
o Computer hardware, software and peripherals such as central processing units, servers, monitors, cables, network systems, printers
o Functions, operations and technology related to Microsoft Windows business and administrative applications and related hardware and software
o Procedures for installing, configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting and repairing applicable software, hardware and peripherals
o Principles, practices, hardware and software related to the establishment and maintenance of LANs and WANs.
Experience and Education
o 3 or more years of experience in network cabling and workstation burn-in and set-up.
Desired:

NOTE: Travel may be required at VSE expense in support of this project.
Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy equipment (up to 50
lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking. Must also be able to tolerate confined spaces.