• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teenager killed in Spotsylvania

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/032007/03172007/0317rifle

A teenager was killed this morning when a rifle accidentally went off at a get-together in Spotsylvania County, authorities say.

Date published: 3/17/2007

A teenager was killed this morning when a rifle accidentally went off at a get-together in Spotsylvania County, authorities say.

Anthony Brian Ballard, 19, was among a group of people gathered at 10125 Renee Korie Lane early this morning, said Spotsylvania Sheriff Howard Smith. The group had been smoking marijuana and drinking.

Donny Ray Harris, an 18-year-old Spotsylvania resident, was playing with a .30-30 rifle and passing it around the table when the gun went off, Smith said.

The bullet hit Ballard in the head, killing him. The Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Office was called to the scene about 3:30 a.m.

Four people at the trailer told detectives that they had been smoking marijuana and drinking, Smith said. The shooting has been deemed accidental.

Harris was charged with manslaughter and reckless handling of a firearm, Smith said. He was being held without bond at the Rappahannock Regional Jail.

Detectives confiscated marijuana and a 12-gauge sawed-off shotgun from the trailer, Smith said. The homeowner, who is not Harris, is likely to be charged with possessing an illegal shotgun. Marijuana charges are also possible.

-Bill Freehling, The Free Lance-Star

Man, lots of gun safety rules broken in this one. Of course, the rifle just "went off".

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Man, lots of gun safety rules broken in this one. Of course, the rifle just "went off".

Anti's really think that guns are just pure evil, waiting to hurt some poor defenseless person. Most of them have no concept of the fact that if the idiot had kept his booger hook off of the bang switch disaster would have been averted.

As in most "accidents" a series of things have to have gone wrong for things to turn out the way they did. Idiot potheads playing with a loaded rifle was just the last step in making this latest contender for a Darwin Award complete.

IanB

imported post

The homeowner, who is not Harris, is likely to be charged with possessing an illegal shotgun.
Ummm, so what was illegal about the shotgun? Less than 18 inches? And what bussiness did the poh-leece have looking at a shotgun when a .30-30 is what they were looking for? They must have said "show us all the guns you have here" and some dummy complied. OK, after thinking a bit, there were drugs in the house. I think that gives the PD free rein to look around for other "stuff" and they may have found the shotgun during that search. But still, does that give them the right to measure a gun?

Highlander

imported post

Maybe becasue they were investigating a possible murder? Could they tell by the wound in the guy's grape what kind of weapon was used? The .30-30 was probably next to the victim, but the entire house is searched for evidence.

If they found the shotgun and saw the barrel had been sawed off, that would be probable cause to measure it.

LEO 229

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
The homeowner, who is not Harris, is likely to be charged with possessing an illegal shotgun.
Ummm, so what was illegal about the shotgun? Less than 18 inches? And what bussiness did the poh-leece have looking at a shotgun when a .30-30 is what they were looking for? They must have said "show us all the guns you have here" and some dummy complied. OK, after thinking a bit, there were drugs in the house. I think that gives the PD free rein to look around for other "stuff" and they may have found the shotgun during that search. But still, does that give them the right to measure a gun?

Let's not jump to conclusions and bash the poh-leece. :eek:) It could have been right there in the open too. Remember... this group ws not thinking all that great.. :D

If they took it.. I am sure it was under the legal limit.

LEO 229

imported post

Talk about stupid people..... Worked a case in the Army...

Four soldiers in barracks room getting ready to go to the club. One has a revolver in the room and was not supposed to. It is not loaded and he points it at each friend several times and pulls the trigger. Laughs at them each time....

One of the groupsteps out of sight and was unawarethe owner had loaded the gun before placing it on the table.

The owner steps away and the friendreturns to the table.The friend decides it was his turn to be all cool and picks up the gun.He raises up the gun and calls out to the owner....the owner yells no and raises up his arms.... BANG!!!! One shot right in the head!

IanB

imported post

I've started using "poh-leece" because that's how Manassas PD refer to themselves in their own FIOA'd emails

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I've started using "poh-leece" because that's how Manassas PD refer to themselves in their own FIOA'd emails

Yea, well you might want to reconsider that. It is clearly some ones idea of an "ebonic" pronunciation and it carries a certain racial implication that people might legitimately find offensive. The fact that the MCPD is using too says something about the department as well.

Regards

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I guess I now understand what all this talk of "smart guns" is about. A smart gun is one that "just goes off" when it's pointed at a very stupid person. Now that's a true advancement in technology! Ah the gene pool just got a little cleaner.