• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying for CWP

Drake

imported post

Now now, I know this is a forum for open carry .... buts its not a bad idea to get a CWP :p

Soon I will be turning 21. I live in the harrisonburg area (Near James Madison University) but my official place of residency is Chesterfield County (Near Richmond). Since I am going to turn 21 in a couple of months, I am allready looking for classes to take and to make sure I am clear on the permit process. Apparently, I was going to be eligable for a life-time permit but that bill didn't get funding :? There is one thing that seemed to bother me .... in Chesterfield County you must have fingerprints taken and those records aren't destoryed (according to the VCDL) after everything is checked out. I am a bit of a libertarian when it comes to privacy rights and I am simply not "OK" with this. I was wondering if I must get my permit in Chesterfield county or if I could apply for it elsewhere.

Maybe one day I will open carry, but right now .... being 21, young, and always wearing a t-shirt and jeans ...... I feel it will just create unwanted attention for myself.

I am a proud owner of a PX4 Berretta 9mm.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I went to JMU (undergrad class of 1997 and grad school class of 2000) and have open carried in Harrisonburg and on campus, as well as concealed carry (as a student, JMU does not permit you toopen or concealed carry on campus). I have open carried on campus only twice, both times expecting visits from the police that never happened. Several students saw my gun and did double takes, but that was all. I open carried for several hours on campus, including the bookstore and a dining facility.

I also am from Chesterfield originally and am basically a libertarian (or classical liberal). Small world! (LC Bird HS - class of 1993).

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your fingerprint card must be returned to you, by law. So, it isn't destroyed, but it also is not kept.

sitedzn

imported post

DDrake wrote:
Now now, I know this is a forum for open carry .... buts its not a bad idea to get a CWP :p

Soon I will be turning 21. I live in the harrisonburg area (Near James Madison University) but my official place of residency is Chesterfield County (Near Richmond). Since I am going to turn 21 in a couple of months, I am allready looking for classes to take and to make sure I am clear on the permit process. Apparently, I was going to be eligable for a life-time permit but that bill didn't get funding :? There is one thing that seemed to bother me .... in Chesterfield County you must have fingerprints taken and those records aren't destoryed (according to the VCDL) after everything is checked out. I am a bit of a libertarian when it comes to privacy rights and I am simply not "OK" with this. I was wondering if I must get my permit in Chesterfield county or if I could apply for it elsewhere.

Maybe one day I will open carry, but right now .... being 21, young, and always wearing a t-shirt and jeans ...... I feel it will just create unwanted attention for myself.

I am a proud owner of a PX4 Berretta 9mm.
where did you find this info? when i got my permit 2 months ago, i had to sign off on my fingerprints and was specifically asked if i wanted them mailed to me or destroyed. had i thought about it more, i should have had them mailed so i could re-use them for a Utah permit, but i told them to destroy. if VCDL says they really aren't getting destroyed, i'd like to know if this is true, as i need to take a trip back to the CH to check on this. i also know the commonwealth attorney for chesterfield - maybe i'll ask him if i see himthis morning.

casullshooter

imported post

I believe the prints are run by the FBI database for the check . It is well known that once the prints are in possesion of the Feds that they do not destroy them as they are added to a computer base. Therefore even if the local Gov't did destroy as they say Big Brother still has them . I teach Adult Ed for Fairfax county so my prints are in the database wheather I like it or not . I knew this going in so I don't have room to fuss . I did not have to give prints here in Prince William County when I applied for my CCW .

Drake

imported post

http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/survey_2005_statewide.html

"[size=[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]No matter what the Virginia code requires, the FBI never destroys a finger print record once it is received."

It also saids most places do not have fingerprint registration. Does anyone know if I could try to get my permit in Harrisonburg. I believe harrisonburg (and Rockyham County) is very gun friendly.
[/font]][/size]

Drake

imported post

" class="Content"At this time the applicant will be fingerprinted and begin the records check."

Apparently harrisonburg checks fingerprints also....

casullshooter

imported post

You might want to have a copy of the new law with you as the local Gov't might not be up to date on the change . Without proof in hand they will dig in their heels as we all know no Gov't official is ever wrong .