• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pending Traffic Misdemeanors, affect rifle purchase?

vrwmiller

imported post

I have been looking through the VA statutes for certain code barring the purchase of a firearm by a person with pending charges and cannot find any legislation expressly prohibiting such.

I am aware that a convicted felon is not permitted to purchase a firearm. Unsure about a person with pending felony charges. However, what I am most interested, at this point, is whether a person with pending traffic misdemeanor charges is prohibited from purchasing a firearm. It is this particular scenerio that I am unable to locate statutes for.

So, I am wondering if anyone out there would know, under these circumstances, if a firearm purchase is prohibited.

Flowmaster

imported post

a friend of mine got a posession charge and already went to court for it.about 3 weeks after his court date,he bought a handgun at the last chantilly gun show. the background check took about half an hour, but they let him buy it. it was done with a real FFL, it wasn't some private sale.

i'd say considering my friend got a handgun after being found guilty of posession, you're probably fine with a traffic infraction.