• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is OC ok in NYS

nitrobol

imported post

Is open carry allowed in NY, I live in rural upstate NY, Wayne County to be exact. I can never seem to find a clear answer if OC is legal or it *has* to be concealed.

Thanks!!!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

New York State is a "red" banned open carry state. The licenses that allow you to carry off of your property (at least as far as private civilians) is to "have and carry concealed".

DT4E31

imported post

Open carry is illegal in NYS. It is covered under NYS Penal Law article 265 which deals with criminal possesion of weapons.
Concealed carry is allowed with proper licensing/permits. Upstate may be more likely to issue such a permit. Downstate counties, NYC, long island do not issue CCW permits without extenuating cirmcustances, such as if you were Robert Deniro and wished to have one.:banghead: