• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Extraction

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Beautiful quote Kelly, thanks!

But George Will forgot one of the most important guarantees of 1A: Redress of Grievances!! Redress is the peaceable way to force the government to act accordingly, and should that peaceable method fail, we resort to 2A. Our founding fathers were sheer and absolute geniuses, forged deep within the fires of freedom.

By pen or by sword, this government shall be held accountable to the People for its actions!

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Can you picture a 2007 metrosexual being transplanted to late 1700's America? He'd squeal in shock.

Our founding fathers had seen blood and death, and went armed every day.

My grandfather smashed his thumb with a hammer one day. He knew from experience that it would swell and get sore and start to loosen and snag... so he cut it out with his pocketknife. :shock:

Now that's a tough guy.

Kelly J

imported post

BobCav wrote:

But George Will forgot one of the most important guarantees of 1A: Redress of Grievances!! Redress is the peaceable way to force the government to act accordingly, and should that peaceable method fail, we resort to 2A. Our founding fathers were sheer and absolute geniuses, forged deep within the fires of freedom.

By pen or by sword, this government shall be held accountable to the People for its actions!

OT

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kelly J wrote:
There is no doubt of that, but the striking thing that I totally fail to understand is why, the American people of today have forgotten, that this form of Government is a Republic form of Government, not a Democratic form of Government, some absolutely fail to understand that the two are not one in the same, and the more we lean to the Democratic form, the closer we are to becoming under the rule of a Dictatorship, so if we as Citizens do not retake control of our Governing Body, we are in for a really rude awakening.

I also do not understand, how the Congress can reach the conclusion that the Bill of Rights, is there to be ignored, changed, or simply altered as the winds of time, and Political Party in power, see fit to apply as they will them to mean.

I am totally convinced that if the Founding Fathers were to be raised from the Grave to witness the changes, that have taken place, and the way the Government has evolved into the powerful nanny state it is, that they would simply say put me back in the grave, there is no hope for these people.

1. Education failure and apathy. Add inlevel of personal responsibility--we all hear lots of complaining; how many are actively trying to counter it. Check out some of the garbage that has been taught in the public schools for years.I've read somewhere that Prentiss Hall texts teach that the 2ndAmendwas only to protect the militia.*Also, I suspect evenat theFounding, there wasa sizeable portion of the population that didn'tget too involved. What percentage of males actually shouldered arms in the Revolution? I'm guessinga small one. I'm guessing, too, that human nature hasn't changed much since the Founding, or even since the founding of Egypt. What we see today, as far as human-nature type stuffalready existedat the Founding in greater or lesser visible degree. Why else did several Founders harp on the idea that self-government requiredpublic virtue? A virtuous public wouldn'thave needed to be told to be virtuous.It just means we have to work harder for longer, that's all.

2. I'm glad my high school history teacher taught us that the "living" aspect of the Constitution was that it could be changed through the amendment process. I suspect this was the source idea that got changed into "living" equals judges get to interpret it their own way.

3. Lysander Spooner, a judge,complained in his 1870 book, No Treason, that the Constitution either authorized the government that we have, or was powerless to stop it.** That comment says a lot.

*Essay on gunlaws.com if I recall. **Quoted from 1973 reprint by Kenneth Royce in Hologram of Liberty.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I rather like this quote from Sam Adams:

“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:

“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
Me, too! I wonder how many people took heart or shouldered arms because of it.

Kelly J

imported post

BobCav wrote:

OT

Kelly J

imported post

BobCav wrote:

OT

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kelly J wrote:
BobCav wrote:

I use this as my Signiture on several sites I am on, it isn't exact, but it was from the Patriot Post, and I really liked what it said, Maybe it isn't an exact Quote if so Maybe I should change it.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"

IF you could please direct me to the Quotation so that I may get it right.
Here is the complete quote and I got it from here:
http://thinkexist.com/quotation/contemplate-the-mangled-bodies-of-your-countrymen/821904.html

“Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samual Adams

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Y'all are probably way ahead of me on this, but I just realized that maybe the best place for the Sam Adams quote really is right here on 2A forums, NRA advertising, and grassroots advertising. Maybe it will inspire casual folks to get a little more active!

Kelly J

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
BobCav wrote:

OT