• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Reason To OC In NH

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Retired officer objects to county inmates working at nursing home

OSSIPEE (AP) — A retired police officer says he may start bringing a gun with him when he visits his mother's nursing home.

David Batstone is among the critics of a program that lets prisoners from the Carroll County jail help out at the county nursing home.

"My mother can't defend herself," he said.

The inmates don't wear orange jumpsuits and aren't identified as criminals. Batstone says the nursing home should post signs and warnings. Officials say the free labor is safe — and irreplaceable, as they struggle to upgrade the aging nursing home after it failed an inspection by the state, then by the state fire marshal.

"They are the ones that we have out mowing the lawn," said county commission Chairman David Sorenson. "We're short on help, and we're using inmates. Unless you hear something different, or we get a tremendous amount of feedback form the general public, we are going to continue using them."

The Mountain View Nursing Home stopped using inmates more than a year ago. But now they are installing new ceiling tiles under a tight deadline, alongside regular work crews that are laying new floors and replacing outdated fixtures. If the ceiling fails to go up on schedule, county officials fear the state could fine the home or even close it.

Still, the nursing home's director asked for a vote on the inmates' presence at a meeting with the commission last week. Forrest Painter said the use of county jail inmates should be suspended temporarily because it has created "discomfort and discord" among staff and residents and their families. The commission asked Painter to determine how quickly the inmates could finish installing the ceiling tiles.

———

Information from: The Conway Daily Sun, http://www.mountwashingtonvalley.com

30 cal slut

imported post

try OC'ing in chestmanster and nastyuaand see what the local constabularies (all ex-ma$$holes) will do to you.

the North Country (except for PRHangover, where I lived for 4 years) is a different story.

mvpel

imported post

The majority of inmates in the prison-industrial complex are not violent criminals, and probably about 99% of the "crimes" for which they're imprisoned didn't even exist 100 years ago.

NYNRA

Criminals are generally THIEVES and not to be trusted. I would not want them anywhere other than in jail or on a chain gang on some highway ala Cool Hand Luke

doobie

try OC'ing in chestmanster and nastyuaand see what the local constabularies (all ex-ma$$holes) will do to you.

the North Country (except for PRHangover, where I lived for 4 years) is a different story.

Plenty of OC experiences in both Manchester and Nashua (I assume that's what you were saying). I've even OC'd an AR-15 pistol in Nashua; while waving to a Nashua PD vehicle driving by.