• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maryland Shall Issue Update 03/22/2007

ProtectMd

imported post

Events that took place on 10/21/2007....

The hearings today were ... interesting.

There were more than 40 of us who showed up to testify in favor of CCW. About a third were women ... once again, some of them were very well-spoken. It was a good turnout.

As usual, the CCW bill was heard last. However, this time there was a new twist. A vote on Nancy Jacobs "Jessica's Law" was scheduled for 4 PM ... in essence forcing Senator Jacobs to choose between supporting CCW by hearing all of us ... or supporting "Jessica's Law" by asking us to cut our testimony short.

As usual, most of the anti-gun senators simply left the room and didn't bother to hear us. Senator Tony Muse did stay for some of the testimony and got to hear Jane Weaver speak eloquently about the dangers she faces as a resident of his district. Jane has just now become the new Maryland coordinator for the Second Amendment Sisters. You can email her atjgweaver2001@comcast.net You don't have to be a woman to join.....

So... in some ways testifying seems to just be a waste of time. The Senators we need to convince simply leave the room and don't listen (and probably don't read the written testimony either) while those who are in favor of CCW stay and listen but are just sort of going through the motions ... knowing that Chairman Senator Frosh will probably not allow a vote anyway.

With this as background, Senator Jacobs chose "Jessica's Law" over listening to our CCW testimony. Despite the fact that some 40 people took the day off work to be heard on a subject that for one reason or another profoundly affects their lives ... Senator Jacobs walked around the room before the hearings started ... not even knowing how long or how short the proceedings might be .... and asked the gunnies to NOT TESTIFY other than just say "me too" when called. We expect the 'bum's rush' from Frosh and the anti-gun Senators ... we don't expect to get it from a supposedly pro-gun Senator -- no matter what the reason.

We'll be watching to see how Senator Jacobs plays this. Most of us gave her the benefit of the doubt and cut our testimony short -- despite taking a day off work just to be heard. Now it remains to be seen if she will return the favor by working hard on our issue, or if it is simply a non-issue for her. Time will tell.

There were some moments of laughter during the testimony. One was where someone was being partisan and decrying how Republicans are needed to pass CCW reform, at which point Senator Jim Brochin said that he was a Democrat and not only was pro-gun but was trying to get his Democratic colleagues to see the light. That got laughter and applause.

The other was towards the end of the witness list when co-chair Lisa Gladden (since Frosh had left the room) asked if there were any more who needed to testify... if we were willing to stop testimony. I didn't catch the name, but one of our gunny guys said "If you'll take a vote, then we'll be willing to stop testifying." Lisa Gladden didn't miss a beat in calling the next witness. ... it got a round of chuckles.... a vote at that time would have been 6 to 1 in favor of CCW.<g>

I tried to make the point of racism as being the origin of our discretionary CCW system, but I'm afraid I'm not yet a good public speaker. I recently learned that open carry for citizens was legal without a permit in Maryland until 1972 - more than 300 years - much of that time it was even required by law that one carry! In 1972 the law first prevented open carry without a (discretionary) permit for Maryland citizens ... it was less than 4 years after the Baltimore Race Riots ... and the discretionary law allowed the MSP to decide who they'd trust with permits and who they wouldn't. Essentially only allowing 'good negroes' to carry. Interestingly, the law was nearly identical to the 1831 law that required a (discretionary) permit for (only) FREE BLACKS to carry ... that law was passed the same year as the Turner Rebellion of slaves in Virginia... at a time when blacks were not considered citizens. The parallels between the two laws is striking! It's a powerful point, but I wasn't very good at delivering it....

Well ... the next step is a committee vote ... and that's entirely up to Senator Brian Frosh. Please call Senator Frosh at410-841-3124 and politely tell him that you want the committee to be allowed to vote on SB 761 and 762. After more than 15 years of the bill being introduced we deserve a vote.

It was nice to see the DOT's Chief of Police for the Transit Authority submit written testimony in favor of SB 762!

There was NO ONE IN OPPOSITION to SB 762 giving oral testimony, and I didn't notice any written testimony in opposition either.

There's a new show on WBAL 1090 AM between Noon and 3 PM - the Rob Douglas Show. He heard our ads yesterday on WBAL and called to talk about Shall-Issue and the hearings. He's quite concerned about the crime in Maryland and very much in favor of Shall-Issue CCW. They've asked me to talk again tomorrow (Thursday the 22nd) during the noon hour, on how the hearings went. Tune in. Call in. Today as I was talking with Rob Douglas just before the hearings he said the call-in boards were all lit up with bunches of folks calling in....

- Henry Heymering, President

Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.
P.O. Box 314
Libertytown, MD 21762
240-446-6782
[url]http://www.marylandshallissue.org[/url]
henry@marylandshallissue.org

ProtectMd

imported post

Made my phone call, the secretary stated that "she would pass my word along."

Sig229

imported post

You folks keep up the fight!

I gave up on Maryland a few years ago and escaped that disgusting state.

It really makes me angry that you folks pay those peoples paychecks, yet they cant sit around and listen to what you have to say.

Maybe bring that up at the next hearing? In a polite manner of course.

Good luck!