• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My latest purchase

vrwmiller

sitedzn

imported post

going out west for some big game? i've seen that the 300 win mag is plenty good enough to take out an elk at 500 yds.

vrwmiller

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
going out west for some big game? i've seen that the 300 win mag is plenty good enough to take out an elk at 500 yds.

Yes, at some point. Myself and one of my hunting buddies have often considered taking an elk hunting trip.

There is a small elk population in South-West VA, estimated at about 100. The VDGIF allows bagging elk during deer season using one of your antlered deer tags. So, we have considered that as well. Of course, I'm sure the elk out here aren't as big as out west.

72Malibu

imported post

Nice purchase!

My last rifle purchase was a .300 Weatherby Mag w/muzzle brake. It's been up at my parents' house for 5 years, so I about half don't remember what it looks like (they still have a lot of my guns since before I moved to California). I remember that it has a Leupold on it too.

sitedzn

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
sitedzn wrote:

Yes, at some point. Myself and one of my hunting buddies have often considered taking an elk hunting trip.

There is a small elk population in South-West VA, estimated at about 100. The VDGIF allows bagging elk during deer season using one of your antlered deer tags. So, we have considered that as well. Of course, I'm sure the elk out here aren't as big as out west.
i wish i had a picture of the one a co-worker got. the mount doesn't fit in his suburban. 5' from the bottom of the mount to the tip of the antlers. 2 days to hike out the meat.

vrwmiller

imported post

MarinesWife wrote:
I wana go hunting so bad, havent gone since i was itty bitty

You should hunt again. I was reading an article published by the VDGIF that indicates that deer hunting is starting lag, therefore deer populations are growing. It also indicated a rise in female hunters, which they said they are liking.

I usually hunt in Fauqier County. Fauquier has a large deer poplation and typically ranks in the top 5 in all of VA as far as number of bagged deer. I think it ranked 3rd for this past season.

I have a buddy of mine who owns nearly 1000 acres in western VA along the border with WV. Have not had a chance to ever go out there though.

67GT390FB

imported post

MarinesWife wrote:
I wana go hunting so bad, havent gone since i was itty bitty

get sig off his but and go.

My girlfriend and i go several times a year. she carries a remington model 7 in 7mm-08 for deer.

seing your screenname this location might interest you.

Quantico Marine Reservation
  • Deer:
    • General Firearms: November 18-January 6. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Open half day on Thanksgiving Day.
    • Archery Season: October 7-November 17.
    • No Muzzleloading Season.
    • Consult Quantico Game Check Station for daily and seasonal bag limits, other seasons and further details, at (703) 784-5523
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/

Joe

MarinesWife

imported post

Well thank you! That's actually not too far from here I don't think. I always thought hunting on bases was illegal though?

67GT390FB

imported post

MarinesWife wrote:
Well thank you! That's actually not too far from here I don't think. I always thought hunting on bases was illegal though?
they each have special procedures but they are all open to hunting in one form or another. after 911 they had no hunting but they have since relaxed a little and allow it once again. just check with the contact number for any special procedures. My boss and i drove through AP Hill on 301 and were both talking about how nice just the area we could see from the road looked for deerhunting.

from the VDGIF website:

Military Areas
Fort A.P. Hill
  • Archery Season: October 7-November 17
  • Muzzleloading Season: November 4-November 17
  • General Firearms: November 18-January 6. One deer per day.
  • Either sex deer hunting on Saturdays and November 20-24 and January 1-5. Closed Christmas and New Year's Day. Open half day on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
  • All persons 12 years of age and older must present a hunter education certificate in order to purchase an A.P. Hill hunting permit. Contact Fort A.P. Hill Game Check Station at (804) 633-8244 for details about the hunter education requirements, permits, and fees required to hunt on Post; and restrictions, seasons and bag limits for all other game species.
Fort Pickett
  • Deer:
    • General Firearms: November 18-January 6. Two per day, four per year, either-sex deer hunting on Wednesdays and November 25, December 2 and January 1-6.
  • Quail:
    • Hunting permitted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
  • Contact the Ft. Pickett Game Check Station at (434) 292-2618 for further details about seasons and special restrictions.
Quantico Marine Reservation
  • Deer:
    • General Firearms: November 18-January 6. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Open half day on Thanksgiving Day.
    • Archery Season: October 7-November 17.
    • No Muzzleloading Season.
    • Consult Quantico Game Check Station for daily and seasonal bag limits, other seasons and further details, at (703) 784-5523.
Fort Belvoir
  • Archery Only: qualification required.
  • Deer: September 16, 2006-March 31, 2007.
  • Spring Gobbler: April 14-May 19, 2007.
  • Contact Outdoor Recreation staff at (703) 805-3688 for further details.

vrwmiller

imported post

Woo! Took the rifle out today to do some sighting-in and have fun with the son. Sighted it in at 300yds. Very accurate!

Took several firearms with us, but ended up shooting:

Remington 700
Ruger 10/22
ParaOrdnance P12.45 LDA

The son liked the Remington 700 and the .22 rifle, but not so much on the .45. He's still got a few years left on learning to handle a pistol.

All in all, a good day.