• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to deny someone services..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I was at WalMart tonight, open carrying...and decided I should go to the range this weekend! So I wandered to the sporting goods, and started chatting with the woman behind the counter, whom I was already acquainted with. After we talked for a bit, I decided I'd get a box of 100 .40 cals, and made a light-hearted crack about how that'd be considered an aresenal if we were in NY. Thats when she said "well umm I can't sell you those anyway...'cause of umm that" as she points to my hip.

She went on to explain that she'd get in a lot of trouble if she sold any ammo to anyone with a gun....she wouldn't even let me buy some .380's, even though I didn't have a gun to fire them on me. The problem was that other customers might get nervous seeing an armed man with a cart full of bullets.

Since her and I were friends, I cocked my eyebrows at her, then brought her attention to the full clip on my left hip. She said "oh! don't show me that!" I looked at her funny and said "I've already got bullets on me, whats another box in my shopping cart going to hurt? :p"

SHE was being as nice as she could be, and doesn't mind that I carry...but there was no way in hell she was going to sell bullets to a man with a gun. It seemed like she was honestly afraid of the "trouble" she'd get into.

So yeah..is this normal? is this legal? wtf?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I don't think they can legally refuse to sell youa product that is available and offered for sale to the general public.

You may want to consider talking to the store manager. Sounds like another case of WalMart local store policy, one that would be inconsistent with HQ policy.

You get kudos for handling it so amiably with the counter woman. That's class.

VAopencarry

imported post

Yes this seems to be pretty consistent in WalMart. I think there is an old thread in Virginai section on this, sorry I am to tired to go find it for you. A call to HQ or an email might clear things up.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Thats what I was thinking. I don't suppose anyone could quote something legal to support that, could they? I don't want the cashier to get in trouble...since she was kind enough to allow my girlfriend to buy the bullets with my card as long as I walked away while the transaction took place. She really didn't want to say no to me...but she definately felt like she had to.

So yeah, I got my rounds, but it just didn't feel right, ya know? I'm just at a loss as to what people are thinking.

Earlier that night we pulled into the parking lot of a resturant, and since they served alcohol I had to leave the gun in the car (North Carolina...eh). As I was removing all my accessories, a group of kids wandered out of the resturant to their car, parked next to ours, then pulled a volley ball out and started passing it back and forth to earchother in the parking lot. I was placing my gun in the glove compartment thinking "I should ask those kids to go somewhere else with that before it *BUMP!*" Yep, that was MY rear fender the ball just hit...hard.

---Now I had in my immediate access a gun, two knives, a collapsible night stick, a ungodly bright flashlight, and a couple other heavy objects.

I really feel like the world would have expected me to pull my gun and shoot those 3 kids for hitting my car with their ball, then grab everything i had in my car that could be used as a weapon, and go into that resturant shooting, slashing, and beating. Then, when i was done there, I would have jumped into my car, shot two cops on my way out of the parking lot, then gotten into a highspeed car chase before I escaped, only to return home later that night, shoot my girlfriend and her kid, pick up another 100000000 rounds, drive to my home state, shooting gas station attendants and hotel employees on the way, and finally killing all of my immediate family, and then their neighbors, and then stopping by walmart, being out of ammo at this point, and in blood soaked clothing with an empty gun on my hip, insist that the cashier sell me 50 more rounds so I could take over the universe.

Instead, all thoughmy girlfriend suggested I get my knife and pop their ball, I glared at them (without an apology received) as we walked inside, then I politely informed the manager ofthe situation. He walked out and apparently had them move to the far end of the parking lot.

Today's Americans: :uhoh:The rest of the good ones that are left: :banghead:

ne1

imported post

I can guarantee you this:

IT IS LEGAL TO REFUSE TO PATRONIZE SUCH ESTABLISHMENTS.

When will people learn that this is the only way that some businesses will learn.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I can guarantee you this:

IT IS LEGAL TO REFUSE TO PATRONIZE SUCH ESTABLISHMENTS.

When will people learn that this is the only way that some businesses will learn.
I hate to tell you this, but Wal-Mart is not going to miss my business, nor that ofthe few followers I might be able to gather for my cause. Furthermore, I'm stationed in the-middle-of-nowhere North Carolina, and Wal-Mart is literally my only choice for a lot of things.

While I appreciate your input, I really don't like your tone. If you don't want to offer answers to the questions I posed, or participate in my frustration, then why say anything at all?

ne1

imported post

While I appreciate your input, I really don't like your tone. If you don't want to offer answers to the questions I posed, or participate in my frustration, then why say anything at all?

Okay then. You've convinced yourself that there is no other choice but to follow the flock. Kwicherbitchin and start "baa baa baaing" like the rest of the sheep. I am not convinced that there is an absolute need to shop at any particular store for anything.

vega480

imported post

Thats not a standard practice at wal-mart that I am aware of, that or the guy who sold me my rounds did not care or see my gun. I went in OCing with my gun on the right side over my front pocket, pretty sure he saw it, he did not say a thing about it. I would definately contact HQ and get there story and then the local manager, if you already have a gun and rounds in it, you already have enough to take care of who ever is behind the gun coutner to get more. Even after I get my CCW i will continue to OC when I can to get more people used to it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, ne1...are you even old enough to own a handgun? Your maturity definately points towards no. I very respectfully, if not a little harshly, informed you that I thought you were being rude, and asked that you stopped. So you respond with childish insults and language? I do hope you're not attempting to impress anyone, because if so, you're failing horribly. Apparently I need to ask again that you please stop posting in this thread, since you've made it abundantly clear that you've nothing helpful to offer.

To the others that have offered advice, thank you. I'm not sure where I'll go with it as of yet, but I'ma gonna do somethin, lol.

vega480

imported post

I would like to here back if you contact wal-mart local or HQ and what their official stance is.

danbus

imported post

I have the similar problem at the Wal-Mart located in Hampton, VA. However I can drive 15 mins to another one and purchase ammo while OC'ing. I have contacted Corporate about the issue, however have NOT received a response.

ne1

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Wow, ne1...
You insult everyone's intelligence by complaining about an infringement on your rights when the solution is so obvious. I gave you the best advice that you're going to get but you choose not to accept it. Fine by me. Your frustration is self-imposed. WalMart may be big but it is not a monopoly. Everything sold at WalMart can be obtained somewhere else, not always as conveniently but that does not make shopping at WallyWorld a necessity. Chances are you even drove by many smaller businesses on the way to finding WalMart.

Whenever you do whatever it is that you decide to do, just don't bother fooling yourself that are doing it to fight for America's rights and freedoms. In my America, I have the right to say what I want and I have the right to choose where to spend my money without manipulating a girlfriend to do it for me (possibly illegally). At least I can give you a little credit for being slightly more mature than your gf (isn't she old enough to have her own ID?) and not popping the kiddies' ball.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Damn. You just told me I'm not fighting for America's freedom? When was the last time you were in a war zone? It's been a few months for me...

Since your location isn't in your profile, I'm going to have to ask where you live? You seem like an interesting person...I'd like to meet you face to face.

Anyway update on the wal-mart thing. Apparently a few years ago, they had a guy walk into walmart with an unloaded gun on his hip, by some ammo for it, then walk back into the parking lot and proceed to blow his own head off. They were deamed liable by the insurance company since it happened on their property, without any "no weapons" signs, and it was their ammo.

They had originally considered posting no weapons signs so that they wouldn't be liable in the future for any weapon related injuries on their property, but that's against HQ policy...

Interestingly enough, I just found out as well that the local ABC Package Stores are posting "no weapons" signs for the same reason. They know that if someones gonna rob the place, they're not going to care about a sign.By posting the sign, however, they avoid the liabilityif someone happens to get accidently injured by a gun while in the store.

So that's that. I wonder if they DID get robbed, and the employee got shot, if they'd be liable for that since the signs prevented armed citizens from being present and possible preventing the situation??

casullshooter

imported post

I bought a .22LR rifle for my son a few years ago at the wal-mart in Manassas,VA . I had to wait for a manager to "walk" me to the door even though I did not purchase ammo and the gun was boxed. Store policy on private property , so their rules .

+1 for your service to the country .

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks. It's not something I feel I need to broadcast, but that idiot is really getting on my nerves. I love it when people act so tough online. I'll pay for the plane ticket to say hi to this guy...

Anyway I didn't realize insurance companies had so much to do with it. I guess it's along the same lines of "no shirt no shoes no service"...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Since your location isn't in your profile, I'm going to have to ask where you live? You seem like an interesting person...I'd like to meet you face to face.
He probably lives too far for you two to meet.

Just PM him your cell # and order him to call you to get everything off his chest. That's the way some people do it here.

vega480

imported post

I am missing it somewhere, but basically your response from them, Wal-Mart (Local or HQ?) is that its in their policy not to sell ammo to people who are carrying? I think the insurance company overreacted there. If he had left his gun in the car and bought the ammo would they have been liable?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I am missing it somewhere, but basically your response from them, Wal-Mart (Local or HQ?) is that its in their policy not to sell ammo to people who are carrying? I think the insurance company overreacted there. If he had left his gun in the car and bought the ammo would they have been liable?
Local, and that's a good question. I'd be willing to bet there was more to it, like perhaps the man was exhibiting signs that he probably shouldn't have a loaded gun... kinda like you're not supposed to sell alcohol to someone who is obviously drunk.

I'd be willing to bet they also did that because seemingly everyone in this area heard about it, so WalMart probably felt obligated to do SOMETHING to ease the public's mind. Put into that context, I really can't blame them. After all, their policy on open carry is almost encouraging it. They don't, however, let their employee's carry....whatever that means :?

vega480

imported post

I can see that, what they ended up paying out, was far far less than what they may have lost to sales. Glad I am getting my CCW soon so I can tuck it away if I need to buy some ammo at wal-mart. Still prefer OC for comfort, but you gotta do what you gotta do.