• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to deny someone services..

teknoid

imported post

It seems that this is not corporate policy, but Wal-Mart is a bit odd when it comes to guns. If you buy a rifle and ammo, a manager has to walk you out. If you are carrying, they can sell ammo to you. Strange, but true. The wife is a sporting goods dept. manager for Wal-Mart here in Kentucky. A've got to assume that it might be because there is no waiting period for a gun in Ky. and it's to keep some idiot from loading it in the store and going postal. One of the many things about corporate policy that makes you go Hmmm?

Basic Guy

imported post

WalMart policy will differ from state to state and even store to store.

In New Mexico you cannot carry - either CC or OC - in an establishment that dispenses alcohol. This has been determined to include sales of closed containers as well.

So there is only one WalMart in Albuquerque that allows customers to carry because they do not sell alcohol. This turned out to be fortunate for one saleslady at that store when her estranged BF showed up and started stabbing her - said BF was shot and stopped by a customer who happened to be carrying his gun.

Makes me wonder if Walmart took note of this incident at a corporate level.

teknoid

imported post

State law takes precedence in KY. The "firearms prohibited" signs can be ignored, unless the type of establishment is on the list of places they aren't allowed by law (banks, courthouses, etc.). Liquor rules would vary widely, especially in KY. The "bourbon capital of the world" has more dry counties than any other state. This one is "moist", meaning no package sales and no bars. Restaraunts can sell if they derive less than half of their profit from it. Ky is also pro freedom. Wal-Mart is anal about gun sales to a degree, in a purely "CYA" sort of way. It's amazing how many people get mad when they're turned down because they have the wrong address on their licensce or something stupid like that, but it's the law.

State law(s) may be the reason the rules vary. Around here, they couldn't ban guns in the store even if they wanted to. Local sentiment would hurt their business badly if they tried, anyway. Maybe they could get by with it in Louisville or Lexington, but not here.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

vega480 wrote:
I am missing it somewhere, but basically your response from them, Wal-Mart (Local or HQ?) is that its in their policy not to sell ammo to people who are carrying? I think the insurance company overreacted there. If he had left his gun in the car and bought the ammo would they have been liable?

Vega480, you have asked the right question. I don't see how WalMart can be liable in your question (scenario).

2nd Amendment...........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X

mercutio545

imported post

teknoid wrote:
It seems that this is not corporate policy, but Wal-Mart is a bit odd when it comes to guns. If you buy a rifle and ammo, a manager has to walk you out.

I can vouch for this. I bought my first rifle there and some ammo- the manager had to be there to verify the transfer documents, AND he had to walk me out to my car.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
teknoid wrote:
It seems that this is not corporate policy, but Wal-Mart is a bit odd when it comes to guns. If you buy a rifle and ammo, a manager has to walk you out.

I can vouch for this. I bought my first rifle there and some ammo- the manager had to be there to verify the transfer documents, AND he had to walk me out to my car.

Sounds like WalMart is paranoid!

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It's all about the insurance liability...oh well. I just liked being able to buy a gun, holster, and ammo from the local gun shop, sign the papers, then load and holster her before I leave the store :)

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Becuase of the messed up policys that walmart has I will not buy anything firearm related in any of there stores, I prefere to buy firearms related gear from venders that support my rights such as Sportsmans werehouse or northern security, there I am allowed to carry as I please and buy what I want and there always happy for my business. I buy about one firearm a month. well now that I figured it out its .7 firearms per month(had to do the math). as well as an armory worth of ammunitions and accesories.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
Becuase of the messed up policys that walmart has I will not buy anything firearm related in any of there stores, I prefere to buy firearms related gear from venders that support my rights such as Sportsmans werehouse or northern security, there I am allowed to carry as I please and buy what I want and there always happy for my business. I buy about one firearm a month. well now that I figured it out its .7 firearms per month(had to do the math). as well as an armory worth of ammunitions and accesories.

So, are you saying that you do support the Wal-Mart profitmaking juggernaut by buying other than-firearm related products? If you do, then perhaps your "boycott" is aratherconvenient one, just for show. That's OK. But a complete boycott would be more compelling. Boycotting one product category inWal-Mart isn't all that big of a deal, though it may make you feel better.

Millionsof people say they are boycotting Wal-Mart. Very few actually do it.

Some just refuse to step in one and let everyone know about it. But they just send the wife andkids to pickup the stuff.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Around here they have many things that are unavailable else where. I have other plces to buy firearm stuff, but there are many things that can only be had at the wal-mart. Wish it wasnt the way it is but it is what it is. I walkthrew the sporting goods section everytime I'm there but I never buy anything and if asked for help I always make a point of telling them they can help me after changing there anti gun policys.

ne1

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
Around here they have many things that are unavailable else where. I have other plces to buy firearm stuff, but there are many things that can only be had at the wal-mart. Wish it wasnt the way it is but it is what it is. I walkthrew the sporting goods section everytime I'm there but I never buy anything and if asked for help I always make a point of telling them they can help me after changing there anti gun policys.

It may be true that Alaska is more remote than other places but I still think this is a matter of convenience vs. necessity. Have you considered shopping online?

Maybe it is all about insurance, but insurance can be taken out of the picture when a company doesn't make enough sales to pay the premiums. Again the point is just because walmart is big does not make them immune from consumer pressures.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ne1 wrote:
murphyslaw wrote:

It may be true that Alaska is more remote than other places but I still think this is a matter of convenience vs. necessity. Have you considered shopping online?

It is almost always a matter of convenience. Alternative sources abound for all the products that Wal-Mart sells.

That is the reason that a self-pronounced boycott of Wal-Mart (over whatever issue) which is really just a partial boycott (i.e., one product category) or a faux boycott (the spouse andkids actually go there to get the stuff) is not very compelling or noteworthy.Better to just state disagreement with or hatred of whatever Wal-Mart policy is of issue.

ne1 wrote:
Maybe it is all about insurance, but insurance can be taken out of the picture when a company doesn't make enough sales to pay the premiums. Again the point is just because walmart is big does not make them immune from consumer pressures.

True. Because of allthe ongoing boycotts against Wal-mart in FY 2006, it was kept under $350 billion in revenues again! (Only $348.7 B)

This makes I don't know how many years in a row. :p

packin_NC_79

imported post

I guess to be technical, a private business can choose if they wish to provide service to any particular individual. Now with that being said, I don't think WalMart would approve of it's employees not selling merchandise unless there were some threat made. Just because she was scared or whatever isn't enough. She should have called for a manager to finish the transaction.
The WalMart my dad works at has had some trouble with guns, though not what most of us would expect. They had employees fill out the 4473's wrong and then a manager signed off on it and then tried to cover it up. I can understand a mistake, but then covering it just up doesn't cut it.

ne1

imported post

Is someone trying to say that major companies cannot go bankrupt? Maybe some of you are too young to remember many of these former companies, some were big in their time: AT&T, KMART, Polaroid, Montgomery Wards, etc.- where are they now?

http://www.bankruptcydata.com/brdsSelectByAlpha.asp?Task=Select

When people stop patronizing big companies then they stop getting bigger. Fortunately, today's Americans do not need to suffer anywhere near the inconveniences that our founding fathers had- all they had was their lives, fortunes and sacred honor. What would our founding fathers have done if faced with the prospect of living without the latest widget from China?

packin_NC_79

imported post

Ok, if it wasn't bad enough that you insult a true american hero, now you try it on me. You may be older than we give you credit for, but still very immature. I know there are a lot of people out there who for one reason or another dislike WalMart. I believe it is because WalMart is the giant it is. I also believe that smaller businesses have suffered because of the size of WalMart. This is the way business is done. They either find a way to compete or they step aside and move on. I can't say that I haven't avoided WalMart in the past, but I'm not putting them down for trying to make a buck. Isn't that the american dream? Aren't we all supposed to get rich and be better off than those before us? I don't think so. We do the best we can, we save money however we can and if that means going to WalMart because everyone else is $2 or $3 higher, then so be it. WalMart has put meals on the table and a roof over my head for nearly 8 years now and you can't say that people having jobs is a bad thing. WalMart starts there new employees off at around $7.50 an hour, this is not what you get from the media. They want you to believe they pay people minimum wage. That is a load of B/S. I know everyone is entitled to there opinion, but opinions are like a#$holes, everybodies got one and most of them stink. If you have a problem shopping at WalMart, then don't. You can go down to the corner store, if they have gone under, and give them your business. If you want to save some money, shop online. Just don't criticize those who have been successful in the business world. I don't here anything now about taxing the profits for the big oil companies now. Maybe soon though.

ne1

imported post

packin_NC_79 wrote:
Ok, if it wasn't bad enough that you insult a true american hero, now you try it on me. You may be older than we give you credit for, but still very immature. I know there are a lot of people out there who for one reason or another dislike WalMart. I believe it is because WalMart is the giant it is. I also believe that smaller businesses have suffered because of the size of WalMart. This is the way business is done. They either find a way to compete or they step aside and move on. I can't say that I haven't avoided WalMart in the past, but I'm not putting them down for trying to make a buck. Isn't that the american dream? Aren't we all supposed to get rich and be better off than those before us? I don't think so. We do the best we can, we save money however we can and if that means going to WalMart because everyone else is $2 or $3 higher, then so be it. WalMart has put meals on the table and a roof over my head for nearly 8 years now and you can't say that people having jobs is a bad thing. WalMart starts there new employees off at around $7.50 an hour, this is not what you get from the media. They want you to believe they pay people minimum wage. That is a load of B/S. I know everyone is entitled to there opinion, but opinions are like a#$holes, everybodies got one and most of them stink. If you have a problem shopping at WalMart, then don't. You can go down to the corner store, if they have gone under, and give them your business. If you want to save some money, shop online. Just don't criticize those who have been successful in the business world. I don't here anything now about taxing the profits for the big oil companies now. Maybe soon though.
I am not trying to insult anyone but if the shoe fits wear it. I admit that I do not know much about working at Walmart but may have considered applying at times- I refuse to take their piss test though there is no doubt that I could pass. Fortunately for you they do not also require a literacy test ( normally I despise the grammar police but you are begging for it).I do not have a problem with Walmart trying to make a buck but their policies will earn very few of mine. In my opinion, some things are just worth $2 or $3 more, even if they are made in the USA (hell, just the rarity factor must mean something). People who whine about being treated unfairly at Walmart (or Cabelos, or Bass, etc., etc.) but insisting they just have to shop there (or send others to shop there for them) deserve every bit of criticism they can get.

packin_NC_79

imported post

You are like one of those punks that doesn't seem to know when to stop. I was going to really give it to you, but then decided not to. Your insults are truely a reflection of who you are. I would hate to have such a miserable life. I hope you seek help soon, before someone, if not yourself, gets hurt.

gsusnake

imported post

Unfortunately, as far as weapons and ammo go here, I've got Wal-Mart (where I don't shop, AT ALL) or a pawn shop. Wal-Mart locally does not allow firearms, open or concealed, and I've never tested them on this, as they conveniently have a police substation on the premises and I really don't want to find out.

I have to drive to Hinesville, which is on the other side of Ft. Stewart, to buy decent ammo or get to a range, except that it's extremely inconvenient because I have to put 14 locks on my weapons and hide them in the freakin' trunk to be able to drive across post as a civilian.

Or I can drive to Savannah and buy Winchester White Box garbage that will give me 20 minutes of shooting on a 100-round box folllowed by 2 hours of cleaning...

The perils of being a gun owner in an increasingly fascist state...

packin_NC_79

imported post

GSU I believe the reason for your local WalMarts policy is your states laws. It's a real shame we sold the south to a bunch of freakin pricks. Well, you could alwas move. Try Virginia maybe. Anyway, stay out of trouble with them commie cops.