• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

landlords and guns

Legba

imported post

I've heard (just anecdotally) of cases where landlords have denied leases to gun owners/collectors - anyone know for certain of any such cases? I can see a university banning them from dormitories, say, but otherwise,I would think that a civil contract that contravenes an established constitutional right would not be enforceable. Any informed legal opinions on this?

-ljp

hirundo82

imported post

Landlords have the right to deny a lease to anyone as long as the reason is not that the person is a member of a "protected class"--ie they can't decide to not rent to someone because of their race, sex, religion, etc.

Gun ownership is not a protected class. It is therefore legal to not rent to somebody because they own guns.

I would think that a civil contract that contravenes an established constitutional right would not be enforceable.

TheConstitution only limits what government can do. It does not restrict private citizens or corporations. An employer can restrict your wearing of a shirt that says something that they do not like--if the government did that, they would be violating your First Amendment rights. Likewise, a landlord can restrict your ownership of firearms on their property; in many states though, a landlord who recieves government money (ie government-subsidised housing) cannot restrict firearm ownership by tenants.

I live in a rented apartment. My complex has no written policy on gun ownership that I can find, but I didn't ask. Asking gives them a chance to tell you know. If they did have a policy prohibiting guns, I would take my money elsewhere.