• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida CCW's for Jersey residents - Something fishy going on!

Jersey Ron

imported post

Please read from the bottom up!

Here's the situtation. I'm a Jerseyan with a non-resident Florida CCW. I got the darn thing because I work in Philly and NO ONE is getting a CCW in Jersey unless your a retired LEO, a V.I.P or you've got more money than God. So anyway, I've been hearing a nasty littlerumor
about how the Pennsylvania State Police are NOT recognizing the CCW if you live in Jersey. I contact the Attorney Generals office and look at what they told me. Start at the bottom.

Thanks,

Jersey Ron

Thanks for the response Mr. Mulle! However the State Police aren't the ones who interpret the laws they only enforce the laws. The Attorney General is the one who sets the rules on reciprocity and it would only be fair to hear his position on the law that he set. Right?

Thanks,

Ronnie

[align=left]-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 11:01 AM
To: Paige, Ronnie
Subject: Attorney General Response

[/align]

March 22, 2007

Office of Attorney General

15th Floor, Strawberry Square

Harrisburg, PA 17120

(717) 783-1111

Ronnie Paige

rpaige@pmare.com

Dear Mr./Ms. Paige:

Your e-mail to the Attorney General has been referred to this office for reply.

We suggest that you direct your inquiry to the Pennsylvania State Police at 717-783-5568 or their website: [url]http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/browse.asp?A=15&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=70426[/url].

Sincerely yours,

Robert A. Mulle

Chief Deputy Attorney General

Legal Review Section

RAM:mlm

CRA070341

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]
]

-----Original Message-----
From: webadmin@attorneygeneral.gov [mailto:webadmin@attorneygeneral.gov]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:14 PM
To: Info
Subject: General Questions : -- No Sections

Email: rpaige@pmare.com
General Questions : -- No Sections

2nd Request. Can someone, anyone, please tell me whether or not valid non-resident Florida CCW's are legal in Pennsylvania.

Thank you,
Ronnie Paige
[/size]
[/font]​

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The PA AG does not want to answer your question, nor do they have to answer you, or answer you correctly.

Stop worrying about it and stop poking a sleeping bear - PA accepts FL issued CHPs, end of story - the PA Uniform Firearms Act does not limit acceptance of CHPs to residents of the state of issuance, or any other rube goldberg restriction.

If people persist in asking questions the authorities that do not need to be asked, they raise the issue to the radar of the antius - look at Colorado - the legislature is moving to ban acceptance of CHPs held by persons who do not live in the state of issuance.

Jersey Ron

imported post

"WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Florida"

This is the part of the agreement that concerns me. From what I've been told, from the instructor who help get me my permit, the PA State police are reading this statement to use against us Jerseyans. To me it's tricky because it technically does not say "privileges to the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and thecitizens of theState of Florida" It just says "and the state of Florida".

Mike, be gentle! I don't want any trouble! I'm in the process of receiving my ACT 235 from Pennsylvania and I don't want any unnecessary bull crap! That's all!

Jersey

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

"The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

The above does not state "residents", it states, "valid Florida permit holders".

You are a valid Florida permit holder as long as you hold a valid Florida permit!

If you have any doubts at all you can apply for the PA permit and the point is moot.

Jersey Ron

imported post

Pennsylvania will NOT give permits to Jerseyans unless they have a permit from New Jersey. However, I've applied for my Virginia non-resident permit, which PA clearly accepts. Just covering my bases. Thanks for your input!

Ronnie

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

The only reference to "residents"is in the Whereas statement, but not in the enumerated provisions. The enumerated provisions are not necesarily limited by the justifications listed. The scope would appear to be inclusive unless the PA Attorney General opines otherwise. Thats my take on it - INAL.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Got ya. Since my state does not issue a permit I can get a PA permit, but because your state does, you cant unless you have a NJ permit!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

It does no good whatsoever to write to Pennsylvania's Attorney General for a legal opinion (unlike other states). What follows is a response I received from the Attorney General's office:

"Under Pennsylvania law and, specifically, the Commonwealth Attorneys Act, the Attorney General gives legal advice and opinions to the Governor or to the head of a state government agency. The Attorney General has no authority to advise local government or other public officials or private citizens. As a result, we are not able to give you an opinion on the matter you have presented in your letter.

"We recommend that you refer your questions to your attorney for review. If you do not have an attorney, you can consult the bar association referral service in your county or the Pennsylvania Bar Association service in Harrisburg at 1-800-932-0311."

So, unless you're the Governor or the head of a state government agency, you're on your own.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
"Under Pennsylvania law and, specifically, the Commonwealth Attorneys Act, the Attorney General gives legal advice and opinions to the Governor or to the head of a state government agency. The Attorney General has no authority to advise local government or other public officials or private citizens. As a result, we are not able to give you an opinion on the matter you have presented in your letter.

"We recommend that you refer your questions to your attorney for review. If you do not have an attorney ....
Typical bureaucratic runaround.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Here's the situtation. I'm a Jerseyan with a non-resident Florida CCW. I got the darn thing because I work in Philly and NO ONE is getting a CCW in Jersey unless your a retired LEO, a V.I.P or you've got more money than God. So anyway, I've been hearing a nasty littlerumor
about how the Pennsylvania State Police are NOT recognizing the CCW if you live in Jersey. I contact the Attorney Generals office and look at what they told me. Start at the bottom.

It was a nasty rumor that got squashed hard. I spoke with Ken Wilkinson at the Florida Division of Licensing. He spoke with Robert Mulle and non-resident licenses are recognized as valid.

-Lonnie

novaccw

imported post

Ron,

Check with Centre County Sheriff (Denny Nau). Some states will issue you a non-resident permit without a copy of a permit from your state if your state is not a "shall issue" state. Basically, if it is impossible to get a permit (ie Maryland, New Jersey) they will issue you the non-resident permit provided you meet all other criteria. Denny Nau's office was very helpful to me when I was a resident of Virginia. I would suggest you at least call and see if they can help you. It seems that all sheriffs in PA handle non-resident permits differently. Hope this helps.

vermonter

imported post

Vermont is the only state PA will issue to without a home state permit since we have no permit system.

Jersey Ron

imported post

Hey Lonnie, you are indeed on point as usual! Check it out!

Good afternoon, Mr. Paige:

For the time being, the answer to your question is yes. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does honor Florida concealed weapon licenses held by non-Florida residents. However, over the past few months, we have received a number of telephone calls and e-mails from citizens who have been told otherwise. Apparently, there is some difference of opinion between the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office and the Pennsylvania State Police over the precise interpretation of the provisions of the reciprocity agreement. If you call Pennsylvania and pose this question, the answer you will get will depend upon which office you call and which person you speak with.

This is not the first time that this matter has become a disputed issue. When we requested confirmation regarding the status of non-resident Florida licenses in Pennsylvania from the Attorney General's Office in March 2005, Chief Deputy Attorney General Robert A. Mulle informed us that Pennsylvania would honor all valid Florida permits, including those issued to non-residents. I have received verbal confirmation from Mr. Mulle since that time, even as recently as early January. However, e-mails and telephone calls continued to trickle into our office from some of our non-resident licensees who have been told that non-resident licenses would not be honored in Pennsylvania. I sent an e-mail to Mr. Mulle on March 14 explaining the situation to him and requesting a definitive answer. He told me that he would get back to me when he had an answer. To date, I have not received any word from him.

So, as I said, for the time being your non-resident license is valid in the Commonwealth Pennsylvania. This is the official word I have received from the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office. I regret that conflicting information is coming out of Pennsylvania. I wish I could give you an ironclad answer on this issue. However, I can tell you only when I have been told by the AG's office.

I will put your name in my pending correspondence file regarding the Pennsylvania reciprocity issue. If I get word of a final resolution to this matter, I will send you an e-mail and let you know the outcome.

Ken Wilkinson

Management Analyst

Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Division of Licensing

Post Office Box 6687

Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687

TEL: 850-245-5665

FAX: 850-245-5655

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 1:34 PM

To: DOLWeb Questions/Inquires

Subject: Ask Your Question

Would like more information, I already have my application:

Concealed Weapon License

My question is: Can someone please tell me if the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania honors the nonresident Florida CCW license? There seems to be a very nasty rumor OR fact floating around in Pennsylvania and I would like to know if its true or not.Thanks,Ronnie