Thread: Holster maintenance

Post imported post

So, when your old holster starts to get a little too loose, can anything be done to tighten it up? I'd hate to have to search for a replacement for mine; I have an odd handgun and it took me a while to find it.

While we're on the subject, what do you do to maintain your leather holsters without softening them up?

Post imported post

I unfortunatly do not yet have a leather holster but plan on getting one soon. I can tell you that I use a mild leather cleaner I purchased from Harley Davidson which works great on my black cowboy boots. I'm not sure how it would work on rawhide but I dont think it would be a problem. After I clean with the HD cleaner, I shine them up with Parade Gloss from the Kiwi company.

I know boots arent holsters but I cant imagine the leather used is much different. Hope this helps.

Post imported post

Except that with boots you want the leather to get softer as you break them in. With a holster you want it to retain it's stiffness.

Post imported post

i've got a bianchi holster for my K frame. i got it already broken in, i just clean it with Lexol leather cleaner. its what i use on cars, works great.

this is what the directions/care instructions say for my galco cop series. i abbreviated some of this stuff.

DO:
    • regular clean leather product with galco leather lotion or use a hard bar of glycerin soap
    • allow to air dry naturally
    • reapplya light coat of leather conditionar to replace the natural oils of the leather.
    • holsters that come in contact with body perspiration on a regular basis may need to be treated as often as once a month, to slow down the natural breakdown of the leather fibers.

DONT:
    • submerge or saturate leather product in water or any other product
    • dont dry in artifical heat or direct sunlight
    • dont use pure oils such as Neats Foot Oil as they will saturate and soften the leather too much
    • don't leave on dashboard