• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster maintenance

Tomahawk

imported post

So, when your old holster starts to get a little too loose, can anything be done to tighten it up? I'd hate to have to search for a replacement for mine; I have an odd handgun and it took me a while to find it.

While we're on the subject, what do you do to maintain your leather holsters without softening them up?

SIGarmed229

imported post

I unfortunatly do not yet have a leather holster but plan on getting one soon. I can tell you that I use a mild leather cleaner I purchased from Harley Davidson which works great on my black cowboy boots. I'm not sure how it would work on rawhide but I dont think it would be a problem. After I clean with the HD cleaner, I shine them up with Parade Gloss from the Kiwi company.

I know boots arent holsters but I cant imagine the leather used is much different. Hope this helps.

Flowmaster

imported post

i've got a bianchi holster for my K frame. i got it already broken in, i just clean it with Lexol leather cleaner. its what i use on cars, works great.

this is what the directions/care instructions say for my galco cop series. i abbreviated some of this stuff.

DO:
  • regular clean leather product with galco leather lotion or use a hard bar of glycerin soap
  • allow to air dry naturally
  • reapplya light coat of leather conditionar to replace the natural oils of the leather.
  • holsters that come in contact with body perspiration on a regular basis may need to be treated as often as once a month, to slow down the natural breakdown of the leather fibers.
DONT:
  • submerge or saturate leather product in water or any other product
  • dont dry in artifical heat or direct sunlight
  • dont use pure oils such as Neats Foot Oil as they will saturate and soften the leather too much
  • don't leave on dashboard