• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

ENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN... Phillip Thompson, executive assistant to Senator James Webb (D-VA ), has been arrested by Capitol Hill Police on Monday for 'inadvertently' holding the senator's loaded gun, according to a person close to the investigation. A Senate staffer reports that Thompson was arrested for carrying the gun in a bag through security into a Senate office building while the Senator was parking his car. Thompson was booked for carrying a pistol without a license (CPWL) and for possessing unregistered ammunition. According to congressional rules, congressmen and senators, not staff, are allowed to have a gun on federal property. Developing...http://www.drudgereport.com/

ParaWarthog

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
possessing unregistered ammunition.
I've heard that cars travelling at a high rate of speed are pretty effective at mowing down people on sidewalks. People should have to register the gas used to power those cars.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Unregistered ammunition? How do the track that?

At least honest gun owners abide by the law. At least one senate staffer does not. He will probably use the "I was cayying this other guys baggage onto the plane for him" excuse.

vt357

imported post

Tune into 1140 AM right now and listen to Mac Watson bashing Webb. :lol::lol::lol:
So funny! Apparently he thinks he is above the rest of "us peons" now that he is a senator - rules don't apply to him.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

First we have celebrity drug "mules"....

Now we have congressional gun "mules"....

I, for the life of me don't know why Congressmen and Senators need guns, DC Metro Police AND Capitol Police are on the job!!!

I guess they're ABOVE the law and their lives are so much more important than ours.

Elitist scum...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
...was arrested for carrying the gun in a bag through security into a Senate office building while the Senator was parking his car...
Novel self-defense technique by Webb.

Just another goof with a gun...

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

And another version...
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8O4397G2&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - An aide to Sen. Jim Webb was arrested Monday when he entered a Senate office building with a loaded pistol, Capitol Police said. Spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said the aide was charged with carrying a pistol without a license and possessing an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition.
The office of Webb, D-Va., identified the aide as Phillip Thompson and said he was "a former Marine, a long-term friend and trusted employee of the senator."
"To our knowledge, this incident was an oversight," the office said in a statement.
The weapon was revealed when the aide went through an X-ray machine at an entrance of the Russell Senate Office Building, said police spokeswoman Schneider. She said the man had a loaded pistol with two additional loaded magazines.
From the FoxNews version
Handguns are illegal in Washington, D.C., but nearby Virginia allows residents to carry concealed handguns.
Apparently that doesn't apply to Senators (though 'no Title of Nobility shall be granted' COTUS I 9:8a and I 10:1a) or Thompson was really 'holding the bag' for Webb, D-Va.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Up on the 'News forum' there are a couple of updates/versions.

COTUS I 9:8a "No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States:..."
COTUS I 10:1a "No State shall...grant any Title of Nobility."

Either the DC law against carrying doesn't apply to Senators or Thompson was really 'holding the bag' for the noble Senator.

If words mean things, has not Senator become a title of nobility just as it was in Imperial Rome? Have we entered the late, Imperial stage of American evolution?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KKK MA$$

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

We don't know what Webb's reaction to all of this will be yet. Sure, what he did was illegal, and I wouldn't do it. But maybe we'll get lucky and see some of that Fighting Irish in him yet.Wouldn't it be great if he had the courage to say what is true and what he probably truly thinks: DC's firearms lawsare irrational, unconstitutional and deeply un-American. As long as there are no excuses made or claims of immunity, I personally don't have a problem with a law-abiding citizen with a Virginia concealed carry permit carrying at the Capital.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
From the FoxNews version
Handguns are illegal in Washington, D.C., but nearby Virginia allows residents to carry concealed handguns.

I wonder why the Fox author doesn't mention that Virginia allows residents to open carry, too?

Also, the story seems to be changing a bit...

A congressional official who has been briefed on the incident by law enforcement told CNN that the handgun belonged to the senator. Thompson was driving Webb to a Washington-area airport, located in Virginia, earlier Monday morning, the official said, when Webb remembered that he had the gun on him. It is legal to carry a concealed handgun in Virginia.

He gave the weapon to Thompson, the official said, and asked him to take care of it. Thompson subsequently put the gun in a briefcase and returned to Capitol Hill where "he spaced, he literally forgot" that he had the gun, the official said.

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/2007/03/webb-aide-arrested-with-gun-at-senate.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have written Mr. Webb THREE - count 'em, three - times asking why he hasn't yet signed as a cosponsor of S.388 - National Reciprocity. The last time I asked him to please respond with a rationale or letting me know what he's going to do.

I think perhaps I should ask again?????

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Monday, March 26, 2007
Webb aide arrested with gun at Senate office

stories.webb.jpg

The gun carried by the aide belonged to Sen. Webb, according to a congressional official.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An aide to Sen. Jim Webb, D-Virginia, was arrested Monday morning with a gun at the Russell Senate Office Building, according to Capitol Hill Police.

Webb's office identified the employee as Phillip Thompson. A statement from Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider indicated an X-ray machine spotted "a loaded pistol with two fully loaded magazines" when Thompson entered the building shortly before 11 a.m.

"It was determined that he did not have a license to carry a pistol in the District of Columbia," Schneider said. "He was in possession of an unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition. He was subsequently placed under arrest and charged with carrying a pistol without a license, unregistered firearm and unregistered ammunition."

Details from Webb's office were sketchy. In a written statement, Webb communications director Jessica Smith said, "To our knowledge, this incident was an oversight by the senator's aide. Phillip Thompson is a former Marine and is a long-term trusted employee of the senator. We are still awaiting the facts."

A congressional official who has been briefed on the incident by law enforcement told CNN that the handgun belonged to the senator. Thompson was driving Webb to a Washington-area airport, located in Virginia, earlier Monday morning, the official said, when Webb remembered that he had the gun on him. It is legal to carry a concealed handgun in Virginia.

He gave the weapon to Thompson, the official said, and asked him to take care of it. Thompson subsequently put the gun in a briefcase and returned to Capitol Hill where "he spaced, he literally forgot" that he had the gun, the official said.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Well, if the above is true, the man obviously made a mistake - one any law-abiding person could make. I feel for him. At the least, this will call attention toDC's ridiculous gun prohibition. Or perhaps I am giving much of the media too much credit.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Geez, when Webb packs, he does it right: a loaded handgun with two loaded mags.

I wonder what kind of pistol it is and what kind of rig Webb carries it in.

Hillary probably carries a Raven .25 in the pocket of her pantsuit.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Tess wrote:
I have written Mr. Webb THREE - count 'em, three - times asking why he hasn't yet signed as a cosponsor of S.388 - National Reciprocity. The last time I asked him to please respond with a rationale or letting me know what he's going to do.

I think perhaps I should ask again?????
I suggest that he may have a principled response. A privilege granted by one administration may be as easily revoked by the next.

The Second Amendment says 'shall not be infringed,' what is so hard to understand about that. Thanks to the National Reasonable-regulation Ass parrots (like 'ass-clowns') more laws are needed to keep them in their stock-in-trade, dispensing our 2A as their privilege.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.