• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SENATE STAFFER BUSTED FOR CARRYING WEBB'S LOADED GUN

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I will be shocked if he gets prosecuted.

Doug, Webb is pro 2A
In word or deed?

The NRA is 'pro 2A' too while they sell compliance with reasonable regulations.

Sorry, he's a politician whose first duty is to acquire political capital with which to pay for re-election. If he would instead spend it on uninfringing the 2A then I'd agree with you. Where do you think the term limits problem arose but in politicians putting career and power first before freedom.

Do you think that he will own up to it being his gun and go down in a blaze of glory? A blaze of glory that his handlers would call political suicide - over the principle of the 2A?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Doug, Webb is pro 2A
In word or deed?

He's a careful supporter of 2A. Just listen...

Webb told The Richmond Times Dispatch in December that he considers himself a "strong Second Amendment person" but said he does not carry a gun to work.

"I don't carry personally regularly. I shoot regularly. I like to have the option to carry, which is why I keep the permit," he said. "I value the opportunity to be able to protect myself, depending on situations. But no, I don't walk around with a weapon on me all of the time," he told the newspaper.

Doug Huffman wrote:

Do you think that he will own up to it being his gun and go down in a blaze of glory? A blaze of glory that his handlers would call political suicide - over the principle of the 2A?

Webb's stuckwith admitting it's his gun, I think. Buthe sure as hell ain't going down for this one.Although slipping a firearm to his staffer Thompson wasn't a responsible thing for Webb todo, Idon't think the generalpublic or the media can figure that out.

So what we have is simply a gunman (with a veritable arsenal) trying to get into the Russell bulding today. Thompson will have to pay the price.

Maybe Webb can snag a presidential pardon for his boy. Webb is ongood terms with Bush, isn't he?

You know, the mediareally really sucks. They are supposed to inform the public, right? Well, I still do not know what kind of piece it was. I say it was a 1911 of somekind. But that's total spec.

CrashVector

imported post

Is there a list out there somewhere of all the Democratic senators and congressmen that carry pistols or other firearms?

The reason I ask is because it is awfully hypocritical of these bastards to try and pass the most restrictive gun ban in history, all the while carrying firearms themselves.

You can bet your last dollar that the newly proposed "assault weapon ban", which bans practically every semi-auto does not apply to them.

Senators and members of congress are civilians...just like me...just like you. Why the hell are THEY allowed to carry firearms in D.C. when your average law-abiding citizen cannot?!

I, for one, am sick and tired of a few members in government, who are supposed to work for the People, awarding themselves special privledges that their constituants are denied. Who died and made Senators more important than anyone else...to the point where THEIR right to defend themselves is more important than mine?

LeagueOf1291

imported post

So long as they are allowed to carry, it doesn't matter whether they actually carry, at least concerning their politics. If they would forbid us, they shouldn't allow themselves. And even then they shouldn't forbid us, because of the 2A.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

lockman,

I know some people who carry without a permit...they are not "honest" in that sense and therefore they are not "law-abiding." But also they are some of the best people I know regardless.

Civil Disobedience to bad laws and/or laws infringing on civil rights...that does not make someone even remotely in the same class as a criminal.

"The Law" isour servant, notour master.

-- John D.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Tess wrote:
I have written Mr. Webb THREE - count 'em, three - times asking why he hasn't yet signed as a cosponsor of S.388 - National Reciprocity. The last time I asked him to please respond with a rationale or letting me know what he's going to do.

I think perhaps I should ask again?????
I suggest that he may have a principled response. A privilege granted by one administration may be as easily revoked by the next.

The Second Amendment says 'shall not be infringed,' what is so hard to understand about that. Thanks to the National Reasonable-regulation Ass parrots (like 'ass-clowns') more laws are needed to keep them in their stock-in-trade, dispensing our 2A as their privilege.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

I agree. He may. That's why I've requested it. Three times.

Now that it's in the spotlight, perhaps I'll get a response.

In my most recent request, I did advise that as a constituent and voter in Virginia, I am likely to remember which legislators are responsive. I have never indicated I'd withhold a vote for being in honest disagreement.

Anubis

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Geez, when Webb packs, he does it right: a loaded handgun with two loaded mags.

I wonder what kind of pistol it is and what kind of rig Webb carries it in.

Hillary probably carries a Raven .25 in the pocket of her pantsuit.
However, Senator Webb wasn't packing it!

Hillary strikes me more as a Desert Eagle kind of woman...

rabbit994

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
do you really have to register your ammunations in VA?

If we do, I have about 2000 failure to register ammo charges coming my way.

Joke aside, answer is no. Only gun that must be registered is Machine Guns with state police. Ammo isn't registered.

Any attempts to introduce registration gets VCDL foaming at mouth mad and it usually dies a painful death as it should.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

More from Dr. John R. Lott, Jr., author of More Guns, Less Crime. From his blog http://johnrlott.tripod.com/

Breaking News: Senator Jim Webb Staffer Arrested for Carrying Webb's Gun, Webb Carries Gun With Him All The Time Virginia Senator Webb carries the gun on his waist all the time. A senate staffer informs me that police arrested a Webb staffer for gun possession. He was carrying a bag with the loaded gun for the Senator. Quote: "The [Webb's] staffer had the gun by himself...Webb was in car!!"

I have written op-eds on this before regarding the special rules governing Senators and Congressmen. Regular people or even staffers aren't allowed to carry a gun, but politicians are. Reminds me of Mayor Daily in Chicago, who has armed body guards but won't let other in the city legally own handguns.

But possibly this case will get people to think. Here is a Senate aide, a former Marine, who is arrested and jailed. Does anyone really believe that he is a threat to anyone? Does anyone really believe that it makes sense to lock this guy in jail and charge him with a felony and destroy his life?

UPDATE: The senator staffer was arrested by Capitol Hill police while he tried to take the gun through security at a Senate Office Building.

UPDATE 2: I am a little skeptical that this is completely correct, but I wanted to post this while I checked. In any case, the staffer was apparently arrested for carrying a loaded gun in a bag.

Roll Call

May 23, 2005 Monday
Correction Appended

LENGTH: 779 words

HEADLINE: Law Lets Members Keep Firearms in Hill Offices

BYLINE: By Jennifer Yachnin ROLL CALL STAFF

BODY:
. . .

Although the D.C. prohibition against firearms was put into place in 1975, under a provision in federal law, Members of Congress and their staffs are in essence given the right to bear arms on Capitol grounds.

According to Capitol Police Board regulations established in 1967, Members and their aides are allowed to transport firearms on the Capitol grounds in the course of carrying out their official duties provided the weapons are "unloaded and securely wrapped." (Directives published in recent years also state that staff must be verified by Capitol Police.)

Although the regulations expressly prohibit weapons on the floor of either chamber, as well as in the adjacent lobbies, cloakrooms and galleries, individual Members are allowed to "maintain firearms within the confines of [their] office." . . .
_____

Similar story in the September 25, 2000 issue of Roll Call.

UPDATE 3: Fox News has a nice discussion of the case here. Fox News also quotes an interview that Webb had with the Richmond Times Dispatch saying that Webb claims he does not carry a gun to work.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Geez, when Webb packs, he does it right: a loaded handgun with two loaded mags.

I wonder what kind of pistol it is and what kind of rig Webb carries it in.

Two extra loaded mags...

New York Times reported it as a 9mm but did not specify the brand/model of the pistol.

I think the news media almost always miss out on a really useful angle when reporting gun incidents: specifying the make/model and features of the gun. And the ammunition. They usually don't bother with these details for some reason.

For all we know, Webb is using "cop-killer" ammo in his Glock 19 or whatever he's using. Think of the headline:

U.S. Senator Packing Imported Handgun With Arsenal of Cop-Killer Ammo

Something like that...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Uh-oh for Phillip Thompson...

Webb says he did not give aide his gun

By Jeremy Jacobs

March 27, 2007

Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) said Tuesday that he did not give staffer Phillip Thompson the pistol whose possession got the aide arrested Monday when he tried to enter the Russell Senate office building.
“I have never carried a gun in the Capitol complex and I did not give the weapon to Phillip Thompson, and that’s all that I think I’ll say,” Webb told reporters.

“I think this is one of those very unfortunate situations where, completely inadvertently, he took the weapon into the Senate yesterday,” Webb added. The senator noted that he was in New Orleans from Friday until Monday. He speculated that the incident happened because three of his cars were moved because of the trip.

Webb also pointed out that he could not go into too many specifics because Thompson is being arraigned Tuesday.

However, the senator made some broad points related to the incident, including his support for gun rights.

“Everyone here knows that I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, that I have had a permit to carry a weapon in Virginia for a long time, and I believe that it’s important — it’s important for me, personally, and for a lot of people in the situation that I’m in, to be able to defend myself and my family.”

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/webb-says-he-did-not-give-aide-his-gun-2007-03-27.html

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Phillip Thompson, executive assistant to Senator James Webb (D-VA ), has been arrested by Capitol Hill Police on Monday for 'inadvertently' holding the senator's loaded gun, according to a person close to the investigation... Developing...http://www.drudgereport.com/

Odd. An orphan gun???

By Jeremy Jacobs

March 27, 2007

Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.) said Tuesday that he did not give staffer Phillip Thompson the pistol whose possession got the aide arrested Monday when he tried to enter the Russell Senate office building.
“I have never carried a gun in the Capitol complex and I did not give the weapon to Phillip Thompson, and that’s all that I think I’ll say,” Webb told reporters.

“I think this is one of those very unfortunate situations where, completely inadvertently, he took the weapon into the Senate yesterday,” Webb added. The senator noted that he was in New Orleans from Friday until Monday. He speculated that the incident happened because three of his cars were moved because of the trip.

Webb also pointed out that he could not go into too many specifics because Thompson is being arraigned Tuesday.

However, the senator made some broad points related to the incident, including his support for gun rights.

“Everyone here knows that I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, that I have had a permit to carry a weapon in Virginia for a long time, and I believe that it’s important — it’s important for me, personally, and for a lot of people in the situation that I’m in, to be able to defend myself and my family.”

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/webb-says-he-did-not-give-aide-his-gun-2007-03-27.html

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Phillip Thompson, executive assistant to Senator James Webb (D-VA ), has been arrested by Capitol Hill Police on Monday for 'inadvertently' holding the senator's loaded gun, according to a person close to the investigation... Developing...http://www.drudgereport.com/

Odd. An orphan gun???

By Jeremy Jacobs
Guess that Mr. Thompson is liar. Or perhaps Mr. Webb is creating a newfictional novel? It must suck to be Philip Thompson these days.

ProguninTN

imported post

I saw this on CNN this morning. They also said the Sen. Webb has a license to carry concealed weapons in VA and that he was to travel to the airport later in the day. I wonder why they did not mention that open carry requires no documents in VA ?

BTW, anybody remember that Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA) [gun grabber] also had an aide busted with a gun years ago ?

ProguninTN

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
BTW, anybody remember that Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA) [gun grabber] also had an aide busted with a gun years ago ?
Same place: Russell Senate Office Building.

And not just a gun. A veritable arsenal:

[align=justify]In 1986 Kennedy bodyguard Chuck Stein was arrested in the U.S. Capitol building for carrying an unregistered handgun, two (sub)machine guns, and 146 rounds of ammunition. Kennedy attempted to have the charges dropped.[/align]

[align=justify]http://www.boonereport.com/2006winter/n.html[/align]