• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I OC at the DMV?

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey, XD. Glad to see you here. PM me when you're back. I'm up for a Dairy Godmother.

XD is the "poster child" for Carrying in the DMV!

LEO 229

imported post

Pardoner wrote:
vtme_grad98 wrote:
I asked for their names at that point. SG #2 had a name tag, but #1 refused to identify himself to me.

XD Owner, think I'd have any luck insisting on a face to face apology from Security Guard #1 when I write to the DMV?

You could always file a complaint with Virginia's DCJS (Dept of Criminal Justice Services). They handle the licensing of private security and their officers are REQUIRED to have a name tag and you should be able to EASILY IDENTIFY the company they work for by looking at their uniform.

Seems to me that any employee or contracted employee working for the state should, upon request, provide his or her name. This would allow a citizen to file complaints involving that employee.

You have a name tag for a reason too. The wilful failure to disclose that name should be a violation of some type regarding their employment.

LEO 229

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
This event has taught me that I need toadd a notepad and pen onto the list of things I always carry.
Most mobile phones have a voice recorder built in. "Memo to self.. Complain about jackass names 'dillhole' that does not know the law." :)

swatpro911

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Yes. See my experience at the Alexandria DMV in August 2006.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=380&forum_id=54&highlight=DMV

I received a letter of apology from the Virginia Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles, D.B. Smit.

The relevant paragraphs of the letter read as follows:

“If an individual is observed carrying a firearm in aDMV Office and is acting in a non-threatening manner, it isDMV policy to notify the security officer on duty at that time. The security officer andDMV personnel are to observe the individual, but no action is to be taken.

NeitherDMV personnel nor the security officer are to approach the individual or contact local law enforcement without first contactingDMV Law Enforcement Services. Unfortunately, the manager of the Alexandria officer and the security officer on duty failed to follow established procedures, and contacted local law enforcement instead. I apologize for this but can assure you they took this action only because they were concerned about the potential safety of our employees and customers. Please be assured that we have taken steps to ensure that all security officers and DMV personnel are aware of the procedures to follows in situations such as yours.”

If you go to the Alexandria DMV, please give a friendly hello to Armed Security Officer T. Ali and remind him that before he calls local law enforcement, that he first has to call the DMV Law Enforcement Services first, but since you are a peaceable citizen, there should be no reason for him to even do that.

If Alexandria PD roll upremain seated in the waiting room and say "you want my ID??" OK. My name is (fill in the blank.) Are you detaining me? Am I being charged with anything? You do not have to give your SSN, drivers license (are you driving inside the waiting room?) or anything else other than your name, and giving it to them verbally should be enough for them to determine if you are a wanted person or NOT! And start asking your neighbors for their name as witnesses. I would not let them isolate you, because it then becomes harder for witnesses to see or hear anything.

They really ticked me off when they interrogated me. Without probable cause, you can just sit there. Snice it is the DMV, you will be doing a lot of sitting!

I'd take time off to go with you, but not possible. I'm in Kuwait currently!
i like the way you handled the situation. It takes guts!!! Good work

swatpro911

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Pardoner wrote:
vtme_grad98 wrote:
I asked for their names at that point. SG #2 had a name tag, but #1 refused to identify himself to me.

XD Owner, think I'd have any luck insisting on a face to face apology from Security Guard #1 when I write to the DMV?

You could always file a complaint with Virginia's DCJS (Dept of Criminal Justice Services). They handle the licensing of private security and their officers are REQUIRED to have a name tag and you should be able to EASILY IDENTIFY the company they work for by looking at their uniform.

Seems to me that any employee or contracted employee working for the state should, upon request, provide his or her name. This would allow a citizen to file complaints involving that employee.

You have a name tag for a reason too. The wilful failure to disclose that name should be a violation of some type regarding their employment.
exactaly! I think the company is securiguard or something! they must disclose the name and the company's name upon request.

LEO 229

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

exactaly! I think the company is securiguard or something! they must disclose the name and the company's name upon request.
Ya... figured. Swat.. Is that who you work for? :p

AbNo

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
Well, I was just ejected from the Chesapeake, VA DMV for open carrying.  I had just completed conducting my business there.  While walking out, a gentleman stopped me to ask if I could give him advice on a good starter gun.  While I was starting to respond to him, Security Guard #1 walked up and asked me to show him my credentials.
*snip*

I believe I know the DMV that you are talking about.

I can honestly say that most of the people I had ever dealt with in that one were a massive P.I.T.A.

I don't know. Maybe they gave you better service? :lol:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
Gee, I just got my DL renewal in the mail, guess I'll hav eto gop down to the DMV on Eisenhower.

Now, which hardarw to pack, the 1911 or the M&P?

Choices, choices. :celebrate
Got a weak side holster for either one? Pack both ;)

vt357

imported post

I just moved so I had to get a new drivers license. Yesterday I OC'ed my 4 inch 357 magnum revolver into the DMV on Quioccasin Rd in Henrico. No problems whatsoever... except that I look like I have a serious lazy eye in my DL photo. ;)

LEO 229

imported post

vt357 wrote:
I just moved so I had to get a new drivers license. Yesterday I OC'ed my 4 inch 357 magnum revolver into the DMV on Quioccasin Rd in Henrico. No problems whatsoever... except that I look like I have a serious lazy eye in my DL photo. ;)

Post it and we will help you decide...:p

Did you ask if you could pose with the gun in your photo? ;)

vt357

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
vt357 wrote:

Post it and we will help you decide...:p

Did you ask if you could pose with the gun in your photo? ;)
Like this guy?

"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do."

Anybody else remember the movie UHF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHH5xZcVvQ

Last edited:

LEO 229

imported post

At first... I thought that was your DMV photo.. Lazy eye would have been the least of your worries... :p

I do not recall seeing that movie...Now I will have to tell TIVO to record it for me.

vtme_grad98

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
Well, I was just ejected from the Chesapeake, VA DMV for open carrying. I had just completed conducting my business there. While walking out, a gentleman stopped me to ask if I could give him advice on a good starter gun. While I was starting to respond to him, Security Guard #1 walked up and asked me to show him my credentials.

Me: "What credentials"
#1: "Your permit. I need to see your permit."
Me: "You don't need a permit to OC in VA."
#1: "Well, if you don't have a permit, you have to leave"
Me: "This is state property, and you have no statutory authority to prohibit me from being here simply because I'm armed"

At this point, the second guard started chiming in with it being common courtesy to come inform them. I pointed out that she was effectively acknowledging that I was doing nothing legally wrong at that point, but they continued to insist that I had to leave. I was tempted to escalate this further, after he said he'd have to get the manager if I didn't leave, but I had been there for almost two hours already and was too hungry to want to continue this. I asked for their names at that point. SG #2 had a name tag, but #1 refused to identify himself to me.

Well, I went to the same DMV yesterday to get plates for my new motorcycle, and open carried yet again. I came in wearing shorts, a t-shirt, a Glock 26, and a small pile of "Fine Cooking" and "Bon Appetit" magazines to kill time while I waited. I'd love to know how that combo looked to some people. "He's armed....and reading about Pancetta?".

The only security guard there was the same woman from my previous visit. After about 30 minutes, it was obvious that she had noticed me, but she never approached me the entire time I was there. I had hoped someone around would ask me about my Glock, so I'd get a chance to educate some people. But I guess the cooking magazines didn't make me non-threatening enough.

Now if only Norfolk Police were as easy to correct.