• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge pulls gun in Florida court

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 27 (UPI) -- A Jacksonville, Fla., judge drew his handgun when an accused child molester was attacked by an alleged victim's father in court.

"I didn't know if he was going after me or the bailiffs or the defendant," Circuit Judge John Merrett told The (Jacksonville, Fla.) Times-Union.

The father, who had not seen the defendant before the court appearance, hurdled a railing and landed several punches on the handcuffed and shackled man before bailiffs restored order.

Merrett said that once he saw the situation was under control, he handed his gun to the court clerk and asked her to lock it in a drawer. Merrett has a concealed weapon permit and said he'd do the same thing again, the newspaper reported.

But Duval County Public Defender Bill White said the incident was frightening. He plans to talk to the chief judge about whether judges should be armed in court.
"It's very disconcerting for a lawyer to be in the line of fire," White told the Times-Union.

The father was charged with felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor battery.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

jbobmurph

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
But Duval County Public Defender Bill White said the incident was frightening. He plans to talk to the chief judge about whether judges should be armed in court.
"It's very disconcerting for a lawyer to be in the line of fire," White told the Times-Union.

The father was charged with felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor battery.
Copyright 2007 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.
More lawyers should be in the line of fire more often. It would make the world a better place. And it's not disconcerting to me, regardless (at least until 2009, at which point I'll be a lawyer.)

starbuck

imported post

John Merrett is known around here for being VERY pro-gun rights.
I voted for him.
Funny thing is when I saw the headline today on the news website I thought of him before I even read the article. Heh.

Kelly J

imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
Give the judge his gun back, give the father a medal, and give that wimpy public defender a man-pill. Oh, and give the child molester a cigarette and a blindfold.
I don't agree with the Blindfold offer I think he should be forced to see it comming.