• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY TRAINING

DT4E31

imported post

I went on line and bought a training certificate for a 4 day pistol course at front sight in nevada. It will cost alot to travel there, get a motel, buy ammo and the other usual expenses. Ive heard great things about Front Sight, but thats from Front Sight brochures. Does anyone have actual feed back on the place. Any course graduates with remarks about the facility and its training?

DT4E31

imported post

I just found a thread on firearms training from back in Jan 07. It mentioned front sight and just got retarded with scientology and other name calling. Let please keep this thread focused on my simple question. How is the training??? Ive done 13yrs military weapons training and 19years police training. Will I learn alot?

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
I just found a thread on firearms training from back in Jan 07. It mentioned front sight and just got retarded with scientology and other name calling. Let please keep this thread focused on my simple question. How is the training??? Ive done 13yrs military weapons training and 19years police training. Will I learn alot?
Yeah, DT. I may have been at least one culprit to this, but I tried to just add info and ended up adding fuel (ammo-:shock:) to the fire. I still apologize for that. On the subject, I have an opportunity to go to Las Vegas the last week of June, much of which is going to be covered by someone else. I got all juiced up to go to Frontsight, my wife thought it a great opportunity, but they're not offering any firearms course that week:banghead:. I'm still keeping my eyes open - I'm also looking to Blackwater, too. I think that someone did post their experiences on OCDO, but it may have been before John stood up the new website, which was so long ago they were probably still using black powder:D.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

DT4E31

imported post

Very little feedback here. Am I too assume the vast majority of gunowners dont attend shooting schools?

Leader

imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
Very little feedback here. Am I too assume the vast majority of gunowners dont attend shooting schools?
I would think that is a safe assumption. I also think the VAST majority of gun owners don't go to gun forums on the internet either.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

While I agree that training is an excellent thing..................... I can't condone the costs of most of these classes.

I'm stationed only 3 hrs from Blackwater's NC traning facility. However even the introductory pistol class costs 200 dollars that's before whatever gear you may need to buy before the class and 500 rnds of ammo. So if you just include the cost of the course and add ammo ontop of that you are right at or right over 300 bucks. You know I MIGHT be able to afford this class but what would be the point its a ONE DAY class and if they teach what they teach on the website my dad taught me that stuff as well as the Marine Corps.

Now move up one level on their BASIC pistol training and after you get done paying for 1500 rounds of ammo you are looking at almost 900 dollars for traning class. This is nowhere near doable by me.

Now go up one more level to the Advanced class and after you pay them an extra 120 bucks for a 4 man bunk room and buy ammo you are looking at over 1000 dollars.

I don't know many people that can blow that kinda money on a 3 day traning course. So I'm stuck improvising my own traning to the best of my ability.

Myself and my wife pratice clearing our house both during the day and at night. My son sleeps on the other end of the house so we may need to clear the whole house to get to him in an emergency.

We pratice weapon retention on eachother. We will be going about our regular activites around the house (weapons unloaded and cleared) and randomly go after eachothers weapons.

We pratice pratical training as much as possible. We setup multiple targets and engage them.

Its not the best training in the world but its a lot cheaper than their 3 day courses and we have the advantage of training together which is how we will be 90 percent of the time if something happens to one of us. There wouldn't be A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL of us being able to afford going to ANY of these classes together.

I'm not saying not to get the training, I think its great IF you can afford it. I'm just saying don't get down on other gunowners because they haven't had formal training.

packin_NC_79

imported post

AMEN. One thing though, You should probably spend as much time at the range as your schedule and budget allow. At least be familiar enough with your tools that you can use them without question or pause. It isn't a good thing to leave it on the dresser or in a cabinet never used until something happens.

30 cal slut

imported post

Well, if anyone is interested in Lethal Force Institute I (Massad Ayoob) - I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Not so much a shooting school as it is a lethal force management course. You DO shoot, but the shooting is geared towards fundamentals (grip, sight alignment, etc) andthe kneelingstressfire technique.

Bring a notebook!