Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey pilots

Post imported post

Well I've seen at least two of you on here.... hawkflyer and HLH... any more of us out there? As for me I'm a pilot (that works for AOPA) and of course always like to know who my fellow aviators are.

anyone carry and fly? i would have back in richmond, but around here...

Post imported post

I carry while I'm playing Ace Combat 5 in my living room.... if that counts...

Post imported post

I'm not a pilot (yet), but am slowly working my way there. I have about 20 hours, but due to the fact that I'm less than a year out of college, it'll be a while until I've amassed enough $$ to finish off my training. My Dad and younger brother both fly recreationally, but Dad hasn't been up in a while. I do a fair amount of flying with my younger brother, who is about to receive his CFI, which will help my hours considerably (I'll get to log the trips we take together).

Oh, and of course I'm always "packing" while flying. Never know when I'll have to intervene in a high risk situation at an FBO!

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing everything in my power to get my license years ago when I had a flight instructor for $5 an hour and a plane for $12 an hour. I was going to school full time though, and I had a girlfriend and I had a S&W model 28-2 (highway patrolman) on layaway, so I didn't have a lot of extra money at the time. Now that I'm married and have kids my priorities have totally changed and I doubt that I'll ever get my license now. :?

Maybe after the kids are out of college I'll get an ultralight or a gyroplane.

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    The ultralights, and the new "sport class", intrigue me. Flying fun at much less cost.
    a friend here at work is looking at the sport planes. he even found one that has folding wings and comes with an enclosed trailer - he could pack the plane away and park it in the driveway!

Post imported post

Glock 19, it's almost painful to listen to my dad (who no longer flies) talk about the days when he "could rent a 150 all day for $15"

These days you can add another 0 to your numbers....

Light sport is becoming increasingly popular because of the lack of need for a medical certificate.

Flying is fun, but just too darned expensive. I can spend $120 and fly for an hour, or i can spend $12 and shoot for an hour (or more or less depending on how i feel)

Luckily working for AOPA i get flight benefits, but heck it ain't enough to worry about.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    OC-Glock19 wrote:
    The ultralights, and the new "sport class", intrigue me.¬* Flying fun at much less cost.
    Saturday April 5 there is a United States Ultralight Association Flying Club 1 meeting at Warrenton air-park in Warrenton. If you want to meet some folks, see some Ultralights and sport planes, come on out.

I have a CGS Hawk Classic II (hence HawkFlyer), a Rans S-6 ES, and am part owner in a Rans S-12 down state. The club flys everything from para gliders to Cessnas.

We believe in pushing the bottom of the envelope.

And yes I carry when I fly.

One way to go, low and slow.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I be a pilot! Post in AOPA forum under the same screen name. Like here, I don't post a lot, mostly lurk around and take in all the good info. Fly out of KHEF - G1000 C172. If I know I am staying in VA I'll take the Glock along.

Post imported post

I flew a 150 & 172 for 20 hours when I was 18 to get my solo. Haven't flown since.

Post imported post

DRKC240 wrote:
    I be a pilot!¬* Post in AOPA forum under the same screen name.¬* Like here, I don't post a lot, mostly lurk around and take in all the good info.¬* Fly out of KHEF - G1000 C172.¬* If I know I am staying in VA I'll take the Glock along.¬*
    While it would be a bad idea, I could drop bullets on KHEF from my house, but not only can I not afford a hanger there, I don't like dealing with the ADIZ every time I fly.

I Use W66 and Warrenton Airpark.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

I got my private back in the mid 90s, but I was in college and flying just for fun was too expensive, so I haven't sat PIC for 10 years now. I'd like to get back into it someday. The flying part is easy, but so many rules and stuff has changed since then I have a lot to learn.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    DRKC240 wrote:
    I be a pilot! Post in AOPA forum under the same screen name. Like here, I don't post a lot, mostly lurk around and take in all the good info. Fly out of KHEF - G1000 C172. If I know I am staying in VA I'll take the Glock along.
    While it would be a bad idea, I could drop bullets on KHEF from my house, but not only can I not afford a hanger there, I don't like dealing with the ADIZ every time I fly.

I Use W66 and Warrenton Airpark.
    Yes, the ADIZ is kind of like restaurant carry. Unnecessary and a real pain in the @$$. Did my first solo at W66 and go back on occassion to do some T&Gs outside the "red ring". I have been considering another airport outside the ADIZ, but living in Alexandria, they are almost all equally far.

Post imported post

DRKC240 wrote:
    Yes, the ADIZ is kind of like restaurant carry.¬* Unnecessary and a real pain in the @$$.¬* Did my first solo at W66 and go back on occassion to do some T&Gs outside the "red ring".¬* I have been considering another airport outside the ADIZ, but living in Alexandria, they are almost all equally far.¬*
    If you don't mind grass, 0V5 in Sweago is converting to GA only. It is as close as you can get to the ADIZ. The north half of the runway is under it. All departures and approaches are to the south, and you cannot get airborne until you reach midfield. But it is private and there are no facilities.

W66 is the next closest and they have added a lot of hangers and tie-downs in the last two years. Also the runway has been improved.

Everything else is in the ADIZ, or well outside it.

Warrenton airpark is one mile outside, but W^^ is closer by car, and the airpark is grass. It is also requires a bit more skill to get in and out of, and it is not really suited to low wing or heavy aircraft. A 172 would be very iffy with full tanks. It is really more of a tail-dragger field.

Regards

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    The flying part is easy, but so many rules and stuff has changed since then I have a lot to learn.
    All the new rules, and the cost, have taken the fun out of it for me. I've found other hobbies that can be done out of a home, have little rules, and cost much less. I have a sport bike and a super charged Mustang Cobra instead if I feel the "need for speed".
    i figured you for more of a harley guy than a sport bike guy. haven't been on one of those since college. nothing quite like 175mph down I-95!:what:

Post imported post

i was on a GSXR also, but wasn't willing to risk it any further. as it was, i made it from 288 & 95 to Southpark Mall in like 2 minutes.

haven't convinced the wife to let me get another bike yet - 2 month old kinda puts a hampering on your spending habits. not letting my license lapse though.

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    The flying part is easy, but so many rules and stuff has changed since then I have a lot to learn.
    All the new rules, and the cost, have taken the fun out of it for me.¬* I've found other hobbies that can be done out of a home, have little rules, and cost much less.¬* I have a sport bike and a super charged Mustang Cobra instead if I feel the "need for speed".¬*
    I only get a need for speed on water. But I got an attitude for altitude even when I drive. I've applied back pressure on a lot of straight stretches of road.

for the price of a few quality handguns or 1 two ARRs you could have your own air-force.

Regards

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    Fastest I've been on a bike was on my GSXR in the Rio Grande area of Texas. There was nothing to hit except tumble weeds and wild havalena pigs. Went over 150 for hours...
    With a blown Mustang and GSXR to boot, you have quite an arsenal in the speed world! I don't trust myself with a sport bike at this point in my life, but I would love to get one . . . right after I get my '98 SS Camaro with heads and cam . . .

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    I carry while I'm playing Ace Combat 5 in my living room.... if that counts...
    FUnny one. That does not count. come on. lol

swat

Post imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
    I'm not a pilot (yet), but am slowly working my way there. I have about 20 hours, but due to the fact that I'm less than a year out of college, it'll be a while until I've amassed enough $$ to finish off my training. My Dad and younger brother both fly recreationally, but Dad hasn't been up in a while. I do a fair amount of flying with my younger brother, who is about to receive his CFI, which will help my hours considerably (I'll get to log the trips we take together).

Oh, and of course I'm always "packing" while flying. Never know when I'll have to intervene in a high risk situation at an FBO!
    carrying a gun while flying isnt it risky of explosion of the ammo inside because of pressure decrease/increase? just a thought

Post imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
    ...SNIP
    carrying a gun while flying isnt it risky of explosion of the ammo inside because of pressure decrease/increase? just a thought
    If it was explosive in a vacuum, it would never hold up to the pressure of firing it.:what:

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    And your ammo will still work in space, by the way, should you need to defendyourself from aliens.
    In the shuttle, right? It won't work in a zero oxygen environment (like in a spacewalk), right?

Post imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
    hlh wrote:
    And your ammo will still work in space, by the way, should you need to defend¬*yourself from aliens.
    In the shuttle, right?¬* It won't work in a zero oxygen environment (like in a spacewalk), right?
    Unless the laws of Chemistry and Physics are for some reason suspended in the chamber of your weapon, it will fire if you pull the trigger. Short of oil or water leaking in (powder won't burn wet, and oil changes the chemistry), it will fire. In fact although wetting black powder will actually permanently kill it, smokeless powder can be dried out and it will still fire.

You can take it to space, you can hold it underwater (not recommended) you can take it in an airplane (you know like Ma Deuce in a B-17), you can take it in a cave, you can shoot it in free fall.

Unless something leaks into the case that can prevent the chemical reaction from occurring the gun will fire if the trigger is pulled. Everything is in there, oxygenation, something to oxidize, and something to start the reaction. All it needs is something to set off the pressure sensitive explosive in the primer cup.

Now of course I am only speaking about all guns in the world save for yours. There may be something unique about that one.

Regards

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Can you shoot it in a box?

Can you shoot it at a fox?

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Can you shoot it in a box?

Can you shoot it at a fox?
    Yes you can shoot it in a box
    and you can shoot it at a fox.
    you can also shoot it at an ox,
    and even wearing sox!

It doesn't even matter the type of stocks.

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    Golly we're killing this thread...
    Ok if it has to be on topic-

Yes you can shoot it in a box
    and you can shoot it at a fox.
    you can also shoot it at an ox,
    and even wearing sox!

It doesn't even matter the type of stocks,
    but you should pull the chocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast