• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey pilots

ParaWarthog

imported post

hlh wrote:
And your ammo will still work in space, by the way, should you need to defendyourself from aliens.

In the shuttle, right? It won't work in a zero oxygen environment (like in a spacewalk), right?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
hlh wrote:
And your ammo will still work in space, by the way, should you need to defend yourself from aliens.

In the shuttle, right?  It won't work in a zero oxygen environment (like in a spacewalk), right?

Unless the laws of Chemistry and Physics are for some reason suspended in the chamber of your weapon, it will fire if you pull the trigger. Short of oil or water leaking in (powder won't burn wet, and oil changes the chemistry), it will fire. In fact although wetting black powder will actually permanently kill it, smokeless powder can be dried out and it will still fire.

You can take it to space, you can hold it underwater (not recommended) you can take it in an airplane (you know like Ma Deuce in a B-17), you can take it in a cave, you can shoot it in free fall.

Unless something leaks into the case that can prevent the chemical reaction from occurring the gun will fire if the trigger is pulled. Everything is in there, oxygenation, something to oxidize, and something to start the reaction. All it needs is something to set off the pressure sensitive explosive in the primer cup.

Now of course I am only speaking about all guns in the world save for yours. There may be something unique about that one.:lol:

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hlh wrote:
Golly we're killing this thread...

Ok if it has to be on topic-

Yes you can shoot it in a box
and you can shoot it at a fox.
you can also shoot it at an ox,
and even wearing sox!

It doesn't even matter the type of stocks,
but you should pull the chocks.

sandy

imported post

I am a pilot too. I learned to fly at Leesburg when I was a kid. I haven't logged any hourssince 2000, so I have never dodged a TFR. It's sad to see how an already expensive and complicated system has gotten worse instead of better over the years.

I'm working on getting rich. In the meantime, I wish I could fly more.

--Sandy (WA)

jimwyant

imported post

I started taking lessons with some cash I got from my high school graduation in 1988. The cash ran out a couple times before I finally got my Private ticket in 1989. I even owned a C-150 for a few months, until I let a situation with a redhead make selling it seem like the right thing to do.

I haven't logged 10 hours in the last 10+ years, though. I spent my money getting married, divorced, married again, divorced again. I have managed to put together a respectable gun collection since divorce #2. I just made it five years into marriage #3, and it looks like I got it right this time. That, and I have this strange desire not to punch a time clock until I draw my last breath, so my wings are retired.

livitup

imported post

My dad dedicated his life to flying, first with 20 years in the USAF, and then another 15 with the FAA. I was flying at 10 years old, but as I grew up and got that horrible disease that affects all teenagers (disinterest in anything to do with mom or dad) I stopped.

Now that it would be financially possible for me to take it back up my dad is gone and my wife fears that the moment I set foot in a "small plane" it will come spiraling down to the ground. But I gaze wistfully at every 4 seater that goes over my house. :(

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

livitup wrote:
My dad dedicated his life to flying, first with 20 years in the USAF, and then another 15 with the FAA.  I was flying at 10 years old, but as I grew up and got that horrible disease that affects all teenagers (disinterest in anything to do with mom or dad) I stopped.

Now that it would be financially possible for me to take it back up my dad is gone and my wife fears that the moment I set foot in a "small plane" it will come spiraling down to the ground.  But I gaze wistfully at every 4 seater that goes over my house.  :(
She needs to get a little older. Then she will realize that gravity always wins, and you do not have to be in a plane for that to happen.

Look into some of the new sport planes. Sexy, slippery, reasonable fast, cheaper than regular GA, and no medical required. OF course its Daylight VFR only, but where would you want to go at night in the rain anyway?

Regards

ParaWarthog

imported post

livitup wrote:
But I gaze wistfully at every 4 seater that goes over my house. :(
I still to this day stop everything I'm doing (if appropriate at the time) and run outside to look up if I hear a low flying plane or helicopter. And before any Alabama jokes are made, this isn't a once a month occurence :lol:. I think I hear one now!

livitup

imported post

Never mind that I live within spitting distance of a NDB near a decent sized regional airport. I think the students regularly use the NDB as a circling point becuse you'd think the C172s were buzzards circling a dead wildebeast.

I hope that eventually she'll let me back in the left seat. :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
livitup wrote:
But I gaze wistfully at every 4 seater that goes over my house.  :(
I still to this day stop everything I'm doing (if appropriate at the time) and run outside to look up if I hear a low flying plane or helicopter.  And before any Alabama jokes are made, this isn't a once a month occurence :lol:.  I think I hear one now!

You will know that you have the genetic defect that causes flying after you have had a lifetime of free flight dreams, spend all your time looking at farms as landing strips, and apply back pressure on the steering wheel on long straight roads.

Regards

livitup

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
and apply back pressure on the steering wheel on long straight roads.[/quote]

Sheepish grin... I'll never actually admit to that one, but...

How about dreams of owning a Mooney? I saw something that almost made me cry at Shannon airport in Fredericksburg a couple years ago. Guy with his pretty, shiny, super expensive, ultra awesome Mooney takes off and is so anxious to show off his retractable gear that he puts it up while he's skimming across the runway from ground effect. I could only pray that nothing would happen that would cause him to abort his takeoff, because he would have been up phit creek without a shaddle. Of course I didn't care all that much about the rich showoff, just the plane. It would be a shame to waste such a beautiful plane. :)

ParaWarthog

imported post

I went flying with my younger brother over the weekend and saw a BRAND NEW Mooney Ovation 2 sitting next to us on the ramp. We drooled over it for about five minutes. 260 knots in a single engine piston!!!!

livitup

imported post

ParaWarthog wrote:
I went flying with my younger brother over the weekend and saw a BRAND NEW Mooney Ovation 2 sitting next to us on the ramp.  We drooled over it for about five minutes.  260 knots in a single engine piston!!!!

Brother, can you spare a half a million?

Sweet Mooney on Aerotrader

Check out the instrument panel photo. :what:

ParaWarthog

imported post

livitup wrote:
Brother, can you spare a half a million?
I sure wish I could! The one we saw Saturday had the Garmin glass panel cockpit, too! I can only imagine flying one of those!