• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Governor follows AG's advice & signs Bloomberg-repellant bill!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OpenCarry.org Press Release – 28 March 2007

OpenCarry.org applauds Virginia Governor Tim Kaine’s (D) decision to follow Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell’s (R) advice and sign HB 2653 to felonize New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s (R) so called “sting operations” against Virginia gun dealers. See[/i][/b] HB 2653, available at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+ful+HB2653ER.

AG McDonnell told Governor Kaine in writing that Bloomberg’s rogue extraterritorial "sting" operations were “counterproductive to legitimate law enforcement efforts, and may in fact be criminal under federal law.” See[/i][/b] VA AG Letter, 22 March 2007, at attachment.

Accordingly, “New York City officials may have a harder time targeting Virginia gun dealers under . . . House Bill 2653 . . . The bill, sponsored by Del. Scott Lingamfelter, R-Prince William County, prohibits anyone but law enforcement officers from trying to make an illegal gun purchase from a firearms dealer. A violation of the law would be a felony with a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Lingamfelter said the bill will protect law-abiding firearms dealers from being targeted by someone trying to persuade them to make illegal sales. ‘We can't have a situation where people are running stings just for the fun of it,’ said Lingamfelter, who blasted New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg for going after Virginia firearm dealers. ‘If Mayor Bloomberg wants to reduce crime in New York City, he might consider expanding the police force rather than trifling with the rights of law-abiding citizens,’ Lingamfelter said.” See[/i][/b] “Illegal gun purchase bill signed,” The Roanoke Times[/i][/b], by Michael Sluss, 24 March 2007, available at [url]http://www.roanoke.com/politics/wb/110097[/url].

Reportedly, Mayor Bloomberg is “ . . . outraged. ‘Virginia is the top source of illegal guns used in crimes committed in New York City. Just this week, two individuals were arrested by the NYPD for trafficking 83 guns purchased from Virginia dealers. New York City is the safest big city in America, and it didn't get that way by being passive. We will continue to develop innovative and aggressive ways to protect New Yorkers.’" See[/i][/b] “Va. Road Safety Bills Become Law, The Washington Post[/i], by Tim Craig, 24 March 2007, p. B01, available at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/23/AR2007032301581.html

Meanwhile, the Virginia Citizen’s Defense League’s Bloomberg-Gun-Giveaway drawing continues to boost retail sales of participating VA gun dealers refusing to settle with Bloomberg. “The drawing ends on March 31, 2007. The drawing for

the gun offered for each of the dealers will be held at the VCDL membership meeting on April 19, 2007 at the Mason Government Center in Annandale. You do not need to be present to win.” See VCDL.org VA-ALERT dated 18 JAN 07, available at [url]http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=1039553&FILTER[/url]=.

“Bloomberg's face graces a poster taped to a shotgun rack at Bob Moates, under the words ‘Here are our worst enemy.’ Sarah Brady, of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle are also pictured, though Bloomberg's face is circled in bright pink highlighter. . . . Dennis Alverson, owner of Old Dominion Guns and Tackle, is also enjoying brisk business, which he attributes to his customers' contempt for the lawsuits. The winner from his store will get a Browning Varmint Stalker rifle, also worth about $900. ‘I've been in business 27 years and I've probably had the best February I've ever had,’ Alverson said. ‘Nobody's got a great likeness for Bloomberg in this area.’" See[/i] “Va. gun enthusiasts taunt NYC mayor with ‘Boomberg Gun GiveAway,’” The Associated Press[/i], by Kristen Gelineau, 16 March 2007, available at htp://tinyurl.com/ytvqu3.

OpenCarry.org now calls for follow-on Bloomberg “poison pill” legislation in VA to set forth gun dealer privacy standards to invalidate any gun owner data sharing commanded by Bloomberg’s “settlements” with two VA gun dealers - Coles Gun Shop of South Boston, and Town & Country Pawn Shop of Roanoke.

##########################

Contact anytime on gun stories:

Mike Stollenwerk/John Pierce

www.OpenCarry.org

##########################

Attachments

• AG Letter to Gov Kaine MAR 07 re straw purchase conspiracies.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 107

casullshooter

imported post

I have to applaud Kaine on this one . I recall that in 1861 we sent a message to the Norththat we do not need them trying to run our affairs .

+1 for The Commonwealth and Robert E. Lee (We Still Miss You)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey, this is FANTASTIC!!! New York is nothing but a bunch of Tories anyway. They were under British Rule throughout the American Revolution.

In most ways, I think they still are!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not sure I understand all the implications. Does this mean the stores that signed the "agreements" (extortion demands) with Bloomberg's goons can now tell them all to go sh*t in their hats and never come back? Or are the stores still bound by the agreements?

Either way, I'm glad those damnyankee scalawags got told to get the hell out and stop telling us how they do it in New York!

mlands

imported post

From what I heard at the VCDL meeting a few months ago, those gun shops that caved in and signed a one sided agreement with Mayor Bloomgerg's cronies are very screwed. They have to abide by their binding legal agreement because it is a legal document. They might as well close their shops and turn the lights out because the "Special Master" will be looking for anything at all to take them out with. Smart guns shops will seek legal advise only from experienced gun rights lawyers. It is indeed worth every penny to have a good lawyer looking after your interests, rather than pinching pennies and taking very bad advise. In the case of those gun shops who stood firm and did not submit to Mayor Bloomberg's tractics, my hat is off to them. They are the winners and will reap the rewards. Our Governor did the right thing sticking up for Virginia and signing that law. Those guns shops can now tell Mayor Bloomberg to go sh*t in his hat and wear it because they now have the law on their side.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Gov. Kaine, whatever else you may think of him, deserves praise! Signing a law making Bloomberg's goons actions afelony is a BIG DEAL. I am about to email him to thank him right now. We have to thank the people who are good to us, not just criticize and contact those who aren't. We're going to need the Govorners signature on bills again next year, so let's all make a point to thank him and let him know that his actions have improved our opinion of Virginia Democrats. Positive Reinforcement....

DeadCenter

imported post

Mike wrote:

OpenCarry.org Press Release – 28 March 2007

OpenCarry.org applauds Virginia Governor Tim Kaine’s (D) decision to follow Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell’s (R) advice and sign HB 2653 to felonize New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s (R) so called “sting operations” against Virginia gun dealers. See[/i][/b] HB 2653, available at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+ful+HB2653ER.

And the crowd goes wild -- Thank you Govenor Kaine.

DC

VAopencarry

imported post

Positive reinforcement is a good idea.

fellow Democratic govenor
Bloomberg is a Republican, Mayor of NYC. The way I read you comment it appears this is who you a referring to, so, just as a heads up.:D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Positive reenforement is a good idea.

fellow Democratic govenor
Bloomberg is a Republican, Mayor of NYC. The way I read you comment it appears this is who you a referring to, so, just as a heads up.:D

Hey, ya'll ... Did you see the article in Tuesday's Washington Post in which there is speculation Bloomberg will make an independent run for the presidency in 2008?

With any luck it'll bankrupt him and he'll have to quite paying people to break laws.:D

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Sorry about that. Just goes to show how useless these labels can be sometimes. I almost edited the posting to say "a fellow liberal".... but then thought better of it. After all, Bloomberg (R) is more liberal than Kaine (D).

67GT390FB

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Sorry about that. Just goes to show how useless these labels can be sometimes. I almost edited the posting to say "a fellow liberal".... but then thought better of it. After all, Bloomberg (R) is more liberal than Kaine (D).

I would not go that far i would say that they are pretty equal. I remember Kaine while mayor of Richmond taking taxpayer money to charter buses for the anti's to attend the million mom march. I know he backed off and wound up funding it himself IIRC but that is not a pro-gun person by any means. He is however a pro-reelection candidate and it would not behoove his future public office plans to veto too many bi-partisan bills. All the pro-gun bills that made it to his desk were passed through the general assembly with huge bipartisan majorities. I applaud him for signing these bills but I do not trust him on gun issues.

Joe

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I did send a thank you e-mail to the Governor’s office; however I still can't get over the fact that we have to work so hard to hold on to just a little bit of the history of freedom that Virginia had a role in championing towards the birth of our nation.

vrwmiller

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Gov. Kaine, whatever else you may think of him, deserves praise! Signing a law making Bloomberg's goons actions afelony is a BIG DEAL. I am about to email him to thank him right now. We have to thank the people who are good to us, not just criticize and contact those who aren't. We're going to need the Govorners signature on bills again next year, so let's all make a point to thank him and let him know that his actions have improved our opinion of Virginia Democrats. Positive Reinforcement....
I sent Gov. Kaine a message yesterday thanking him for signing the bill. This was a landmark bill that was a major step in the right direction.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mlands wrote:
From what I heard at the VCDL meeting a few months ago, those gun shops that  caved in and signed a one sided agreement with Mayor Bloomgerg's cronies are very screwed. They have to abide by their binding legal agreement because it is a legal document. They might as well close their shops and turn the lights out because the "Special Master" will be looking for anything at all to take them out with. Smart guns shops will seek legal advise only from experienced gun rights lawyers. It is indeed worth every penny to have a good lawyer looking after your interests, rather than pinching pennies and taking very bad advise. In the case of those gun shops who  stood firm and did not submit to Mayor Bloomberg's tractics, my hat is off to them. They are the winners and will reap the rewards. Our Governor did the right thing sticking up for Virginia and signing that law. Those guns shops can now tell Mayor Bloomberg to go sh*t in his hat and wear it because they now have the law on their side.

I do not believe that this bill is retroactive. While it may help stop this sort of thing. it will not help people already in the trap.

It should never have been necessary anyway. Straw purchases were already illegal. The fact that these were conducted by people on the payroll of an out of state, non federal, local government, should never have been a shield in the first place. The guys that acted here in Virginia, might have been PIs but they really had no standing beyond that of any private citizen, and they should be arrested and charged accordingly.

Regards