• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at the local gun shop

Lthrnck

imported post

I was a bit surprised when I arrived at the Olde English Gun Shop, the other day. They had a sign posted that the only people who could OC in the shop was LEO's.

Has anyone else run across other gun shops prohibting OC ..?

Lthrnck

imported post

There just doesn't seem to be anyone in SW Ohio but myself and BB62 concerned about this or any other OC issue. Why is that..???

korupt

imported post

There are a lot of people in SW ohio (me being one) that are very concerned with the public's, and the LE's, ignorance on this matter. The only answer to our dilemma is education. We have to educate people on the importance of guns to maintain a safe, free society.

the best thing to do in this peticular situation is to speak to the owners of that gun shop and find the reasons for their decision to post that sign. From there we can educate.

i live close to cincinnati and have not heard of that gun shop. where is it located?

Lthrnck

imported post

Well Korput this gun shop is just north of Vandalia.

I guess what I was refering to about people not being involved is that I have posted a couple of times. Have received very little to no response. I have even asked people to respond to having a meet to get things going and still little response.

Legba

imported post

I work in a gun shop in Hamilton, and we have no real policy about it one way or another. I open-carry at work, certainly, for self-defense, and I have no objection to anyone coming in with a gun - as long as it isn't brandished in some threatening manner. There are so many concealed-carry people already armed, that you really never know who is carrying anyway, so I figure it does no good to allow some and not others. Besides, anyone out committing crimes is probably not going to want to draw attantion to himself by OCing, and as long as it's not illegal...

-ljp

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
I was a bit surprised when I arrived at the Olde English Gun Shop, the other day. They had a sign posted that the only people who could OC in the shop was LEO's.

That ticks me off. I have bought about 4 guns there and am troubled and disgusted to hear of their posting.

My suggestion is that you engage them in dialogue about why they have chosen to do so. From the outside, it sounds as if they do not recognize that a) OC is not the sign of a criminal or deranged person, orb) that being against OC, like being against "assault weapons" or "evil handguns" is just a way to divide and conquer.

BB62

Lthrnck

imported post

Hey BB62, what makes this even more bizarre is that I can't OC but I can CC without a problem. Like my CHL would stop me if I decided to go "Ballistic" someday.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
Hey BB62, what makes this even more bizarre is that I can't OC but I can CC without a problem. Like my CHL would stop me if I decided to go "Ballistic" someday.

This subject was discussed pretty thoroughly in a VA thread recently. You all might check it out. One of the explanations given by the gun store was that CC'ers were known to have passed safety training as part of the permit process; but OC required no specific safety training. I dont' know if that would apply in your area.

My inclination is to roll with whatever policy the owner has. He knows the general situation regarding his customers better than I do. I've seen plenty of unsafe firearms handling in gun stores. One I shop frequently simply bars loaded firearms. OK, I feel a little better knowing I'm that much less likely to get negligently shot while I'm reaching for the Hoppe's.

Legba

imported post

We had an incident recently where a guy brought in a .25 that he wanted to sell. The manager dropped the magazine and then test fired the piece to see that the striker worked - you see where this is going... Sure enough, there was one chambered and the gun didn't have a magazine safety, so he ended up putting one in the carpet. Fortunately, it wasn't a larger caliber gun, so it didn't ricochet all over the store, but it scared the shit out of a couple of people, me included. So, it's not just the customers that you need to look out for. Oops.

Rule 1: Always handle every firearm on the assumption that it's loaded. Absolutely god-damned right.

-ljp

rhinov

imported post

It just seems to me that the last place that should ban OC would be a gun store. You would think that the owner would realize that this kind of stuff just makes it harder on gun owners. I read a post on THR last night that had link to a youtube video. The video was a gun shop security video. It showed some guy come in and look at AK47's. Then this guy handed this rifle to his 2 yr old son and said things like " I am going to make you a soldier". He had the little kid start marching around the store. Well, the owner took the gun from this man and refused the sale. Which I have no problem with. However this video made it's way to the media. The press also interviewed the owner who said that he would now only sale these types of guns to law enforcement. First I think he should have keep the video from the press and second he should not let an idiot effect his decision to sell these to other people. Gun store owners are on the front lines ofRKBA. The things they say and do matter. I think this is bad policy and hurts us all.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:

This subject was discussed pretty thoroughly in a VA thread recently. You all might check it out. One of the explanations given by the gun store was that CC'ers were known to have passed safety training as part of the permit process; but OC required no specific safety training.

What safety procedures would those be? Any idiot, licensed or not, knows better than to pull a loaded gun from its holding place, whether concealed or not.

Those carrying concealedmay or may not be licensed, and may or may not follow proper procedures.

Denigrating open carriers simply because they may not have not gone through the training that *licensed* concealed carriers have gone through, in my mind is ludicrous.

A sign which simply says "Your gun, openly carried or concealed, is to remain in its holster unless you are given permission to remove it" would fix the "problem".

BB62

RetLeo99

imported post

LTHERNCK, By-pass Old English to begin with, they're not signifigantly lower or higher than the others anyway.

Since you live in Englewood anyway, try the Vandalia Range & Armory, located at 100 Corporate Center Dr. in Vandalia, OH 45377, 937-387-0485. They're a little hard to find, but for those out of the area, take I-75 to the National Road Exit and head West. The Dayton Airport is on your right so you don't have to make any right turns. Right after you pass Joseph Airport Toyota, Corporate Center Dr. is the next left and is tucked in behind the Toyota Dealer.

Their view on Concealed or Open Carry is simple; they don't care. Their only rule is that you let one of the [courteous] staff know when you come in that you're packing.

I got the best deal in town on the Taurus "Night Judge," a 5-shot revolver that shoots both .45 Long Colt as well as .410 ga. shotshells (My Wife just HAD to have it.)

They also have an indoor gun range that is reasonable to use. I believe it's max. distance is 75 feet. Wifey hasn't shot her Judge yet due to time, but I went up there and blew 50 rounds of .45 through my Glock 30 the other night. They have 2 Glock armorers employed there and one noticed that my sights might be off a tad. I was holding a tight group just to the right of the target's head [my left] and after a quick fix I was holding that group center head from 75 feet.

One thing, their CCW classes are reasonable; $125 for "civilians" who have their choice of a one or two day class. Retired Police Officers rate is only $35 and is given on the 4th Thursday of the Month. I've decided to break down and have my name in for the 22nd. Call them for times.

Bob

Alexcabbie

imported post

The gun stores here in Virginia all prohibit carrying a loaded weapon in the store (but obviously not on the range in back, which is a common feature)

Last time I visited the hometown (Huber Heights) it was just nauseating to drive down Marion Meadows Shoppig Center and see every shop posted with a standard "NO firearms" sign. Of course it would be hard to violate that rule because most of these shops were locked up tighter than a drum. Stopped into "Bob's Gone Saloon" (formerly Bob's Tavern where I at age 16 BSed them into serving me a Cuba Libre, but that was 1968) and saw the notification that the mere posession of a firearm is a FELONY in any restaurant that serves alcohol. Hell, here in Virginia I can walk in Open Carry and order a brew, and as long as the OWNER (not the waiter) does not object, I am fine as long as I do not get intoxicated. Even at that point it is a Class I misdemeanor (up to 1 year and/or $2500). We don't have any problems to speak of with drunken gunslingers here in the Commonwealth.

But as to the carry rules in gun shops, I think that may be a function of whatever insurance company they use. These guys dont wanna lose money as it will likely be taken out of their bonuses. Oh wait. Uncle Sugar will pay the bonuses, so why should they worry??

Gunslinger

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The gun stores here in Virginia all prohibit carrying a loaded weapon in the store (but obviously not on the range in back, which is a common feature)

Last time I visited the hometown (Huber Heights) it was just nauseating to drive down Marion Meadows Shoppig Center and see every shop posted with a standard "NO firearms" sign. Of course it would be hard to violate that rule because most of these shops were locked up tighter than a drum. Stopped into "Bob's Gone Saloon" (formerly Bob's Tavern where I at age 16 BSed them into serving me a Cuba Libre, but that was 1968) and saw the notification that the mere posession of a firearm is a FELONY in any restaurant that serves alcohol. Hell, here in Virginia I can walk in Open Carry and order a brew, and as long as the OWNER (not the waiter) does not object, I am fine as long as I do not get intoxicated. Even at that point it is a Class I misdemeanor (up to 1 year and/or $2500). We don't have any problems to speak of with drunken gunslingers here in the Commonwealth.

But as to the carry rules in gun shops, I think that may be a function of whatever insurance company they use. These guys dont wanna lose money as it will likely be taken out of their bonuses. Oh wait. Uncle Sugar will pay the bonuses, so why should they worry??
Not in South Boston. I often carried in that store with no problems whatsoever. Coles. Nice little shop with an excellent selection and people behind the counter who know what they're talking about.

ron-357

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:

I have had some problems with gun shops in Ohio. I mentioned them in a post about a year ago.

K-mart (which no longer sells guns) prohibited them (OC and CC) even though they sold them.

A local gun owner gave me a lot of trouble about OC in his store, I asked him if he was asking me to leave, and when he said no (since he didn't want to kick out a paying customer) I politely explained to him that OC was completely legal. Though, I do not shop there much at all now. I gave them another try and they watched over me like a hawk while I was in there, so I figure, my money is good elsewhere.

I also had a lot of trouble at CABELA'S in Wheeling, WV. Not from the greeters, cashiers, or customers, but those who worked in the firearms department. I thought the behavior was very childish and so I decided to write a letter to their home office - Though I never heard back.

Ron

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ron-357 wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:

...I also had a lot of trouble at CABELA'S in Wheeling, WV. Not from the greeters, cashiers, or customers, but those who worked in the firearms department. I thought the behavior was very childish and so I decided to write a letter to their home office - Though I never heard back...
I OCed there not too long ago.

My suggestion is that youeither a) go in again and see if it's different, or b) re-send the letter (as needed).

I have read of a number of instances where Cabela's corporate has confirmed that they allow whatever is legal in the state. Just write a polite, well-reasoned letter (as necessary), and let us know the result. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you like, do a search on "Cabela" here on OCDO and see if you can find the instances I am recalling.