• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open (vs. concealed) needed where alcohol is sold but NOT consumed?

unrequited

imported post

i.e. grocery stores, liquor stores, wine/beer stores, etc.

I skimmed through packing.org and the VA code linked to from there but only found 18.2-308 J3:

"J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit."

That on-premises consumption thingie's got me confused. Also, I've been noticing Target stores near Alexandria all have a big VABC sign on their front doors stating that they've applied for something-or-other most probably to sell alcohol, must I open there?

sitedzn

imported post

unrequited wrote:
i.e. grocery stores, liquor stores, wine/beer stores, etc.

I skimmed through packing.org and the VA code linked to from there but only found 18.2-308 J3:

"J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit."

That on-premises consumption thingie's got me confused. Also, I've been noticing Target stores near Alexandria all have a big VABC sign on their front doors stating that they've applied for something-or-other most probably to sell alcohol, must I open there?
my guess is Target has applied for ABC OFF - probably trying to keep up with Walmart. if you can't drink it there (Walmart, grocery store, etc.) then you can conceal. my guess is probably a liquor store too, since you can't consume on-site.

casullshooter

imported post

The key words are serve and on-site consumption , I CC in 7-11 and Safeway regularly including purchasing of alcoholic beverages . I think that you will find the America Boys Club generaly posted in VA.

IanB

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
The key words are serve and on-site consumption

Casull hit the nail on the head. You are fine to CC at places like 7-11 and Safeway. You must OC at places like Applebee's, Chilli's, and even Chuck 'E Cheese (yes, they serve beer there).

LEO 229

imported post

I believe the code was intended for places where you would be served alcohol. The differences being..

A. You could buy and later drink on your ownwhile concealing

B.You purchase from a business where someone would serve you alcohol not knowing your concealing.

Here is what we know....

You can carry a weapon openly into an establishment thatserves or sells alcohol.

You can carry a weapon concealed into an establishment that only sells alcohol.

You cannot carry a weapon concealed into an establishment that serves alcohol.

You can carry a weapon concealed if your serving yourself as long as the location does not serve alcohol.

So what is the real purpose of the code section? It seems that the major difference is that they want the business employees serving you to know your armed. I can only imagine that they want the employees to know to cut you off instead of letting you get too drunk.

72Malibu

imported post

Based on that, I'm assuming that walking into a winery that offers tasting samples applies as well? I was at Horten Winery off of 33 this weekend and just to be safe, left it in the car. I'm assuming that I can openly carry in there, but I was with one of our friends from California (female) who is genuinely scared of guns (mostly due to unfmailiarity) and I had been CC'ing all day, and didn't want to make her uncomfortable out of respect for her since she's a good friend (even though I made no secret to her that I CC, so she probably figured I was all day, but "out of sight, out of mind" I guess applied.