• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Of Pirates and the Latter 19th Century:

Mini14

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Seems to me like a good reason to reserect the old PT boat. Torps for the pirate mother ships and plenty of .50 cals for their attack runabouts.

Take no prisoners.
E-Boats would be even better!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Pirates were identified by Blackstone as 'Hostis Genaris Humani" (General Enemies of Humanity) in the 18th Century. Several years agoI sent a formal letter to SCOTUS addressing the resurgance of Piracy... linking 'no-flag' Islamic Terrorists in this catagory. Another facet of this letter dealt with coastal states issuing 'Letters of Marque' to Privateers for interdiction of smuggling (drugs, ect.) on the high seas.Of couse... I never received a response.

At one time... the "Captain of anyinterested warship" was free to engage pirates wherever encounteredand mete out such justice as he deemed fit. This was 'Admiralty Law'. The actual result being that pirate vessels were siezed or sunk and the surviving crew were hung. Presently... Pirates are to be 'returned' to their country of origin for trial. That sounds like somethin' the UN thought up. Somalia has no functioning government... and this idea never considered 'Rouge States' which tacitly sponsor Piracy.

The primary problem (with the US Government) today is there are few former 'warriors' in Congress or the Senate. Lawyers... lack the required 'sand' to enact anything effective. I suspect the same is true of most western nations.India doesn't seem to share that problem... having engaged at least one pirate vessel and sinking it.

We know where the pirate havens are. IF the government was serious about combatting piracy... These pirate ports would be attacked, their ships and infrastucture destroyed. It would take a land op to regain those ships siezed by pirates (for ransom) along with the 3-400 crewmembers held hostage. I hate to image what conditions those folks are in. It could be done... but it won't.

Merchant Captains could do a LOT more in preventing pirates from boarding... but they won't... or moreover... are not allowed by the owners. Meanwhile... the pirates flourish and the media whines.

"Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences.":

Robert Lewis Stevenson

bordsnbikes

imported post

PT boats were freaking awesome. I think they were also the first to use the MK-19. My personal favorite weapon system. I would be more than happy to cruise in a PT boat with maybe 3 other boats armed with MK-19's and .50's. How fun would that be?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Wern't no PT boats in the 'Nam... PCF's, PBR's, Mike boats 'n stuff. (Formerly of TF-116 Riverine, IV Corps, Mekong Delta).

Infantry? Yer off yer rocker! :uhoh:

bordsnbikes

imported post

Hmm what were the boats they used to run up the delta's called? I thought they were PT boats.

It's ok to be jealous, not everyone is good enough to be Infantry (please note, this is all in good fun)

ETA you already answered, nevermind.

The PBR boat is what I was thinking of. They are pretty sweet.

Legba

imported post

Where can I get a used/surplus navy PBR? Those are very cool.

Nevermind - just saw the price tag.

-ljp