Thread: OCDO ACTION ALERT - CO SB 34 unconstitutionally denies right to carry!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

SAMPLE MESSAGE:

SUBJECT: Please veto SB 34; Unconstititional violation of privileges & immunities clause

TO: Governor.ritter@state.co.us

Dear Gov. Ritter:

Please veto SB 34. CO cannot constitutionally decide to accept a state's gun carry permit, but discriminate against holders of this permit based upon state of residency.

The bill is an unconstitutional violation of the privileges and immunities clause because it arbitrarily discriminates against citizens of the US based upon their state of residency.

See Supreme Court of New Hampshire v. Piper, 470 U.S. 274, 274 (1985) (New Hampshire’s ban on nonresident admission to state bar “violates the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Art. IV, § 2”).See also Lee v. Minner, 458 F.3d 194 (3d. Cir. 2006)(affirming trial court's holding that “'citizens only' provision of Delaware's FOIA is unconstitutional under the Privileges and Immunities Clause of Article IV, Section 2 of the United States Constitution”).

Sincerely,
    YOUR NAME
    YOUR ADDRESS (if Colorado resident)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Ya know, I think I have standing to sue Governor Ritter if he signs this bill. I have a Florida license to carry that just became invalid if he did actually sign it.

Post imported post

add me. I visit my mom in Colorado Springs annually.I am no longer able to conceal in CO. I suppose if they want a bunch of tourists (with FL permits) open carrying, that is what they will get.

Post imported post

I can't find any news about a veto, therefore it became law by letting 10 days go by.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Governor Ritter signed SB 34. If I visit Colorado again I will have to open carry and avoid Denver. My non-resident Utah permit is no good now.

Post imported post

It goes into effect July 1st.