• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Watch out in Tyson's Corner Mall!

hsmith

imported post

I was OC'ing today at Tyson's Corner, I walked around the mall for over 1.5 hours and found nothing I liked so far. As I was making my way to Banana Republic and older looking security guard stopped me in my tracks and asked me if I was a LEO.

I informed him I was not, because well, I am not. He tells me I am violating their policy, which I ask him to produce this policy because well, I want to know. (I am being as respectable as possible, because well that is how I was raised). He pulls out this little card with the policy on it and procedes to read me their "weapons ban" of the premises and then asks me, rudely, if a Fairfax County officer needs to come explain this to me.

Of course, I do not because there are always other days to fight these battles (and I know the law and I respect private property rights). I ask him for his name, the managements office number because I will be following up. (And of course, I am parked on the opposite side of the mall). So I walk to the nearest exit (to which I "guard" is following me) and read the sign for myself, because I am curious. Of course, the sign is located in the side of the entrance where no one can see it (and I mean really, who reads those things anyway).

But the texting does bother me. It bans all posession of firearms (and a slew other other things) in the mall. Yet, they don't make a distinction for LEO's. It just says "all weapons"! Oh well.

The mall will be getting a call about the manner which the guard handled the situation. I did not like the way which I was treated like street trash, especially when I shop there frequently and was quite well dressed from my days work. I had no issue in Giant nor Whole Foods in Falls Church when I shopped there today though. You would think Whole Foods would be a possibility!

Simply amazing!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I really don't understand this whole deal with shopping malls banning weapons. It's completely beyond me for two reasons. First of all, the obvious one, no criminal is going to pay attention to their policies and little stickers. Secondly, I've personally never seen a no weapons sign on any convenience or retail store...it's only the shopping malls!

I used to use the argument that the likelyhood of a licensed handgun owner walking through a mall and shooting people is the same as a licensed car driver taking a spin through the mall and running people over...but lately there have been a few videos online of people driving their cars through malls...so I guess that argument is out the window, lol.

Anyway I'd be willing to bet it comes down to liability, and the fact that IF someone were to be injured by a handgun in a mall, their "policy" prevents them from being held liable by their insurance company. :banghead:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Unfortunately, not to shocking. Well I guess Tyson's is now officially on my list of places to avoid.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

hsmith wrote:
The mall will be getting a call about the manner which the guard handled the situation. I did not like the way which I was treated like street trash, especially when I shop there frequently and was quite well dressed from my days work. I had no issue in Giant nor Whole Foods in Falls Church when I shopped there today though. You would think Whole Foods would be a possibility!

Simply amazing!
Kudos to you for handling the incident so well, HS, especially when the security guard was needlessly disagreeable. His demeanor and the policy itself are well worth complaining about, perhaps in a follow-up letter after your phone call.

Mayday

imported post

Its not posted anywhere, so how are you to know? Plus they are just pissed because all they are allowed to carry is a little flashlight. Thats right, they arent allowed to carry a large one because it may be confused for a weapon.

God forbid the shit hits the fan at the mall someday. They would all stand around wetting themselves. I've carried hundreds of times there...but I carry concealed. They can go suck a lemon for all I care.

Flowmaster

imported post

tysons is very close to my house. i've never OC'd at either one of the tyson's malls. i always feel underdressed when i go into tysons2 anyway, so i just try to stay out of there.

something tells me i would have had a problem if i had OC'd there. i'm sorry to hear your story. if the entire mall doesn't allow guns,i bet that includes the nice new AMC theatres on the 3rd floor.

LEO 229

imported post

Posting the weapon ban is for those who follow the rules.

Look at DC... They have had a ban since 1976 and it seems that the criminals just do not care... They are packing heat all the time.. Breaking the law AND being in possession of a stolen firearm... and then shooting people!! I see the law works well in DC. For shame!!

So the Mall and DC are only disarming the law abiding people.

I believe the sign and the banare simply to make the customers who hate guns feel all warm and fuzzy. They have a false sense of security thinking that the mall is gun free and the bad guys will go someplace else. After all.... There is a sign banning weapons.. :?

casullshooter

imported post

Watch Manassas Mall as well they make their policy very confusing as some of the entrances are posted and some are not. Choose your entranceand choose your policy ! Banning guns will make them disappear the same as banning alcohol will stop drinking .

possumboy

imported post

I normally avoid malls for more reason that just the policies that are listed. Potomac Mills has a number of smash and grabs, and I even help stop a car theft - no gun involved, just a ridge hand to the throat as he was running by me.

There are also an assualt and/or sexual assault every few months or so.

Whenever I go to the malls anymore I CC. I have never been asked to leave a mall, but when I'm forced to go, yes, my wife can make me do things I don't want to, I CC.

To quote a few people "Concealed means concealed."

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If a gun ban at a mall is not conspicuously posted, I don't see adding the mall to the GUB list - GUB list requires a liittle more than passive anti-gun policies - everybody knows that malls have a tragedy of the commons feature about them - the mall security reports to mall management who reports to a corporation somewhere, who in theory report to shareholders; far removed from the store owners at the mall who want all lawful business possible.

Don't ask don't tell in malls folks, the general rule now applies specifically to Tysons, when not in a restaurant.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can't tell from the original post whether he looked for signs before entering.

Since I started carrying I deliberately look over the various signs at businesses' entrances for signs against firearms.

possumboy

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I can't tell from the original post whether he looked for signs before entering.

Since I started carrying I deliberately look over the various signs at businesses' entrances for signs against firearms.
Heh, I'm just the oppsite. I don't look, I just carry. Let them ask me to leave.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Reading the original post...and considering the tone of it...leads me to believe that hsmith is a troll. My best judgment tells me that this event never happened. It just appears to be written in a far to juvenile and uneducated manner to be real.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I wouldn't throw out the T word lightly, as he contacted VCDL about this, and it's a resonably credible and plausible story.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Toad wrote:
Reading the original post...and considering the tone of it...leads me to believe that hsmith is a troll. My best judgment tells me that this event never happened. It just appears to be written in a far to juvenile and uneducated manner to be real.

I don't think so. You can usually pickout the fictional stories by noticing their two most prevalent features: they are self-aggrandizing and unnecessarily vagueon key details. The OP doesn't have either of those.

I've read a few beauts here though. Always good to have a little bit of skepticism in reading stories. Sometimes, people just make sh*t up.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

possumboy wrote:

Heh, I'm just the oppsite. I don't look, I just carry. Let them ask me to leave.

I hear you, possumboy! I thought that signs carry no weight in VA, is that not right?!? I was under the impression that you have to be asked to leave, is that not right?!? This is the reason why I don't look for signs. Please correct me if I need to be corrected.

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

possumboy

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
possumboy wrote:

I hear you, possumboy! I thought that signs carry no weight in VA, is that not right?!? I was under the impression that you have to be asked to leave, is that not right?!? This is the reason why I don't look for signs. Please correct me if I need to be corrected.

2nd Amendment........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

That is my understanding. You have to asked to leave because they cannot prove you stood there and read all the small print.

I know in some states, they have requirements for posting -sizing and shape- and those signs do carry the weight of law. In VA, the signs mean nothing, but being asked to leave does.

Also, it is a criminal trespass charge, and not a gun charge if you refuse to leave. I've been meaning to look up criminal trespass to see what class it is and the pentalities for violation. Anyone have the code available?