Thread: Fun times in Clay and Ray county

Post imported post

So yesterday my friend and I were shooting behind his house. Their property set up is kind of weird. The county line for clay county and city limits for Excelsior Springs end about 50 feet behind his house and it becomes ray county.

We were shooting parallel with the road about a good quarter+ mile away from it and out of city limits at his tree line into a natural berm with a hill behind the berm. His dad has been shooting there for 25 years and never even had a complaint. My friend shot around 2 rounds of his .270 and then we plinked for about 5 minutes with my Beretta nios and his ruger 10/22. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a white car stop. I glanced over and saw that it was a police car. The police paused in front of my friends house for around 2 minutes and watched us shoot then drove across the street and stopped in his new neighbors drive way. We heard a lady screaming: " That's them over there!." The officer burned out and sped the 50 feet from her driveway to my friend's and sat there for about 5 minutes.

Braden decided he's just going to go talk to the police officer and tell him what we were doing and that we were outside of city limits. He starts walking over and then I hear yelling. I look over and see my friend walking backwards to the officer with his hands in the air. He then yells for me to walk out of the field with my hands in the air. I raised my hands and walked over to the driveway where I was searched and my knife was confiscated. Then told to sit on the ground and not move.

The police officer told us he knew we were in Ray county and weren't doing anything illegal, then asked us what we were shooting. We tell him a remington .270 , ruger 10/22. WASR 10, Beretta nios and an XD 9. He then proceded to tell us that it was illegal for my friend who is 19 to be firing my pistol because it made him in "possession of a concealable firearm". He then proceeded to tell me that it was in fact illegal in Missouri to be in possession of a shotgun unless you were 18 and you could not possess a rifle or handgun unless you were 21. I challenged him on it and asked him to show me the law that stated that. He became visably irritated and began grilling us on hunter's safety questions. Around that time his partner showed up and began also belittling us for being irresponsible. The continued to imply that we were in the wrong for shooting where we were and we had to move down his property around a half mile.

Around that time a Ray county deputy pulls up and asks what's going on. They inform him of where and what we were shooting at. He asked when a gun is loaded and we told him always. He told us jokingly to us not to shoot any cows, be careful and have a good day. We decided we didn't really want to waste anymore of the day messing with cops so we just moved down the half mile.

So today I decided to go complain to the city manager and the police chief. I told him the whole story and of course he defended just about everything the officers did. He told me he didn't understand what I was even complaining about. After debating with him for around a half hour he finally conceded that they were wrong to make us sit on the ground and patronize us. He said everything else was standard procedure.

Am i off base for being so pissed off about this? I mean the officers stated after they had frisked us and ordered us to the ground they knew we weren't doing anything illegal! Plus, we weren't even in their jurisdiction where we were shooting!

Post imported post

Were these officers trained in Manassas ,VA ?

Post imported post

Since the "officer" was outside his jurisdiction, I would have told him in a tactful way to go f**k himself. Always know your rights.

Post imported post

If I didn't make it clear; I walked back into his jurisdiction when he told me to leave the field with my hands in the air. He was ready to draw and I had a holster on my side so I just complied because i'm not a huge fan of dying.

Post imported post

Anytime you have an issue with a LEO, ask him if you are being detained and what specific charge you are being held on. If he has no answer for you, ask him if you are free to leave.

Here is a great resource:

www.flexyourrights.com

PS On your way out, you still should have told him to go F**K himself.

I have nothing against a good LEO, but the bad ones sure piss me off....

Post imported post

Mimmerzim,

I would like to know more..like Dru stated...if the first cop didn't have jurisdiction, when why did you go talk to him????? If they have a reason, they will come talk to you Or call somebody else that could.

Common error...and one I hope you learned from..if you believe that one or more of your rights were violated, then go talk to an attorney.

Post imported post

My buddy who's house we were shooting at went over to make sure the police officer knew we were out of city limits. Once he stepped foot on his driveway he was in city limits and the police officer started flipping out. I personally didn't want to get shot by an idiot police officer who was scared. He told me to leave the field with my hands in the air and since he had his hand on his gun half way out of the holster. I wasn't really going to try to argue with him while standing next to 10 visible guns.

If I go through something like that again I'll definitely do some thing differently. That was my first major run in with the police department so I tried to be polite and respectful. I now know that the police in my town are idiots and I'll have to be blunt instead of polite.

Post imported post

send a PM to Shawn. He will give you some good advice.

Post imported post

mimmerzim wrote:
    My buddy who's house we were shooting at went over to make sure the police officer knew we were out of city limits. Once he stepped foot on his driveway he was in city limits and the police officer started flipping out. I personally didn't want to get shot by an idiot police officer who was scared. He told me to leave the field with my hands in the air and since he had his hand on his gun half way out of the holster. I wasn't really going to try to argue with him while standing next to 10 visible guns.

If I go through something like that again I'll definitely do some thing differently. That was my first major run in with the police department so I tried to be polite and respectful. I now know that the police in my town are idiots and I'll have to be blunt instead of polite.
    I wasn't going to get into this but I will tell you this if you are not polite with the or any officer you give them grounds to take the next step, think about what is a stake, one you get agrivated at the moment, you should ask the important Questions as to what are you being stopped or Suspected of doing, you know the establish if the officer has or is under the impression that you are doing anything wrong, and rest assured your age group are under fire, rightly or not, just don't give them any reason to go to the next level, you are not dealling with a big city cop and one who may not have a lot of experiance and is nervious or excite about his new athority and is looking for any excuse to demonstrate it.

Post imported post

I would have kindly told him that I was aware that he was outside his jurisdiction ordering you off of the property to cross into city limits. Then I would have ignored him.

Matt

Post imported post

mimmerzim wrote:
    So yesterday my friend and I were shooting behind his house. Their property set up is kind of weird. The county line for clay county and city limits for Excelsior Springs end about 50 feet behind his house and it becomes ray county.

We were shooting parallel with the road about a good quarter+ mile away from it and out of city limits at his tree line into a natural berm with a hill behind the berm. His dad has been shooting there for 25 years and never even had a complaint. My friend shot around 2 rounds of his .270 and then we plinked for about 5 minutes with my Beretta nios and his ruger 10/22. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a white car stop. I glanced over and saw that it was a police car. The police paused in front of my friends house for around 2 minutes and watched us shoot then drove across the street and stopped in his new neighbors drive way. We heard a lady screaming: " That's them over there!." The officer burned out and sped the 50 feet from her driveway to my friend's and sat there for about 5 minutes.

Braden decided he's just going to go talk to the police officer and tell him what we were doing and that we were outside of city limits. He starts walking over and then I hear yelling. I look over and see my friend walking backwards to the officer with his hands in the air. He then yells for me to walk out of the field with my hands in the air. I raised my hands and walked over to the driveway where I was searched and my knife was confiscated. Then told to sit on the ground and not move.

The police officer told us he knew we were in Ray county and weren't doing anything illegal, then asked us what we were shooting. We tell him a remington .270 , ruger 10/22. WASR 10, Beretta nios and an XD 9. He then proceded to tell us that it was illegal for my friend who is 19 to be firing my pistol because it made him in "possession of a concealable firearm". He then proceeded to tell me that it was in fact illegal in Missouri to be in possession of a shotgun unless you were 18 and you could not possess a rifle or handgun unless you were 21. I challenged him on it and asked him to show me the law that stated that. He became visably irritated and began grilling us on hunter's safety questions. Around that time his partner showed up and began also belittling us for being irresponsible. The continued to imply that we were in the wrong for shooting where we were and we had to move down his property around a half mile.

Around that time a Ray county deputy pulls up and asks what's going on. They inform him of where and what we were shooting at. He asked when a gun is loaded and we told him always. He told us jokingly to us not to shoot any cows, be careful and have a good day. We decided we didn't really want to waste anymore of the day messing with cops so we just moved down the half mile.

So today I decided to go complain to the city manager and the police chief. I told him the whole story and of course he defended just about everything the officers did. He told me he didn't understand what I was even complaining about. After debating with him for around a half hour he finally conceded that they were wrong to make us sit on the ground and patronize us. He said everything else was standard procedure.

Am i off base for being so pissed off about this? I mean the officers stated after they had frisked us and ordered us to the ground they knew we weren't doing anything illegal! Plus, we weren't even in their jurisdiction where we were shooting!

You should always try to be polite to the Leos. They dont always know what is going on and are trying to do the best for all. That being said.

Had about the same thing happen down here. Was at my brothers house shooting. We were just blowing everything away. Damn pesky nieghbor comes down and tells us not to shoot in city limits. Well I m in mac county and his house buts right up next to the OKlahoma state line. So we take a step across the land on to a nice nieghbors land and continue blasting. Nieghbor calls the cops cops come down the road turn around and leave. Not a thing they could do.

We could here the pain in the ass nieghbor yelling at the cops. At least the cops knew that they couldnt do anything and the OK highway patrol didnt have to get involved.

Post imported post

Yet another reason to get HB1045 / SB217 passed.