• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC experience

vrwmiller

imported post

So, I live in the City of Manassas. I have had a CHP for almost 5 years and CC most of the time. Since the events of the Tony's 7 incident, I have decided that I will be exercising my right to openly carry my pistol.

When I first began entertaining that thought, I had thought that I would be semi-nervous. However, it turned out not to be as bad as I had thought it may have been. I suppose it was because of all the preconceived notions I had regarding other's reactions.

I got some looks tonight, heard some chit chat about the pistol...I even heard one person say to the other people they were with "Oh my God! Is that what I think it is?!". Thankfully, the MCPD didn't show up... :lol:

I went to Captain D's, Shopper's Food Warehouse, and Sheetz (in the city of Manassas Park). None of which had any signage prohibiting firearms.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Glad it was a positive experience. Look forward to OC'ing more often.

rady8um

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Edit to add maybe not on the recorder I'm trying to determine the legality of using one. See 19.2-62
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-62

I think you will be okay. Check section B, part 2

2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.

I believe as long as you are one of the parties involved in the communication, recording it is legal. Anybody read that differently?
Of course IANAL, just my 1/50 of a dollar.

ScottNH

imported post

Big caveats here about not being a lawyer, but I thought VA was a "one party" recording state. In fact, I seem to recallthe big legal thing when Linda Tripp got in trouble for recording Monica wasthe actual recording was done either in MA or the District (can't remember which), but they said if she had been in VA she would have been OK.

Any VA lawyers help out?

casullshooter

imported post

I am not a lawyer but familiar with the law as a contractor . In VA you can record a conversation as long as you are one of the parties , without notification . You may not Third party record without notification of the persons to be recorded.

rebfan

imported post

I have open carried a few times in Manassas, and outside of a double take not much else has happened.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

As long as you are one of the parties, it is legal to record a conversation surrepticiously in Virginia (not so in Maryland). I used to know two police officers who did this almost every day.