• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to Cincinnati

denwego

imported post

I'm fixing to go to an academic conference to give a paper in Cincinnati in about two weeks time, and I plan on bringing along a pistol with a glimmer of hope in my eye about Ohio's new preemption statute. Aside from taxi rides to and from the airport when my pistol would be locked up in luggage anyways, I don't plan on being in any vehicle, so the lack of reciprocity with Colorado's permits won't come into play with the need for one to be in a car.

I'm hoping that a few people might give me advice for OCing around Cincinnati; how common it is (which I'm sure it's not), and more importantly, is it going to result in a swarm of cops giving me a hard time because they don't care what the law says... I'd really prefer not to be in a strange city without any means of defending myself in the worst of situations, but a pissy nanny state doesn't facilitate it at all.

Thoughts and comments, oh ye Ohioans?

Lthrnck

imported post

I do not live in Cincinnati, and have never OC'd there as of yet. But from reading and speaking with some others that live there, you are probably gonna draw alot of LEO attention. Maybe BB62 will see this and can enlighten you some more.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Open carrying in Ohio, at least if judged by the number of people who post about doing so, is VERY rare.

You will no doubt get accosted by the local constabulary, how far it goes is anyone's guess, but you must be totally prepared for such an event.

A couple of things - make sure you know the off-limits places for concealed carry, because although the LAW does not make a number of those places off-limits for open carry, the signage the legislature suggested disallows open carry.

I think it would be a good idea for you to post where (type of building, ownership, etc.) you will be while here in Cincinnati, and letme and others respond more fully - just so you don't unknowingly get yourself in boiling (not hot) water.

Depending on circumstances, I may just be forced to OC with you while you're here!

BB62