• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Different models of sig that rocks

swatpro911

imported post

I wanted to to see how many folks own different models of sig and how they like their guns vs other guns that they have fired. Which models are the best and which models are the worse of all in sig family? ANy?

Mayday

imported post

I've owned just about every Sig out there. My favorite one was a p245, a small 45-caliber carry pistol. I let it go for a HK p7M8. I miss it dearly. Sometimes, when its late at night, I wonder where that P245 is and what its doing and sometimes I whisper its name. Blasty.....Blasty where are you. :cry:

markand

imported post

I own a number of SIG's, including P239 (9mm), P226 (2 ea in 9mm), P228 (9mm), P229 (have both .40 S&W and .357 SIG barrels), P220 and P245 (.45ACP) and P230 (.380).

I own or have fired a variety of handguns including Berettas, HK USP, S & W revolver, Glock, Kahr, Keltec, Ruger and more.

I like the SIGs for their reliability out of the box and for grips and grip angle that seem to fit my hand. Only failures to fire or feed I have ever experienced have been ammo problems with commercial reloads (improperly sized, diameter too large to chamber properly). I don't shoot commercial reloads for practice anymore. Problem solved.

Current carry gun is the P229 in .357 SIG with Crimson Trace Laser Grips carried in a kydex belt holster. If I need something smaller or lighter, I can carry the P239 in a belly band or IWB. Or if I need something smaller yet, I can carry the P230 in a pocket holster. Some might say the P230 is too large for pocket carry, but believe it or not, I have even carried the P239 and the P245 as pocket guns at one time or another.

These are described as the "Classic" SIGS. All have the same controls and most are of the SA/DA mode. First trigger pull is a long and heavy double action one, with subsequent shots fired single action. The guns all have a decocker to safely allow the hammer to be dropped safely onto a live round. All of the Classic series have aluminum frames and steel slides. Newer Classic models can have the DAK trigger, which is essentially a light double action where the hammer does NOT stay cocked after firing. The P220's can be equipped with a manual safety for cocked and locked, single action carry.

There are other SIGS, including the SIG-Pro's which have polymer frames and a line of 1911 style .45 guns.

Even within the Classic line, there are variations in construction and finish that I haven't covered here. Some have all steel frames and slides. Newer guns have accessory rails for lights and lasers and such.

As for which is best, it is a personal decision, based upon caliber desired and how big a gun you are willing to carry. I would characterize the Classic SIG's I listed as falling into one of three or four groups:

Full size: P226, P220. These are the largest and heaviest of the SIGs. P226 in whatever caliber has a double-stack magazie, the P220 a single stack of .45

Mid-sized: P228, P229, P220 Carry. The P228/229 are basically the same gun, but the P228 is 9mm only and has been essentially replaced by the P229 which is available in 9mm, .40 and .357 SIG. The P220 Carry is new and has the same grip as the P220, but a shorter slide/barrel

Compact: P239, P245 (no longer in the SIG line up, but available used or from on-line auctions). Both of these are close to the same size dimensionally, but the P245 has a grip that is quite small, offering no room for the pinkie finger. Probably why it is out of the line up.

Sub-compact: P230

A SIG armorer might be able to give you better information. Or you could go over to http://www.SIGForum.com, or to the SIG web site, http://www.sigarms.com.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

LEO 229

imported post

I own two sig 228s and one has a laser in the spring guide. Sweet! I keep that one in the bedroom in case an intruder decides to visit late at night. All the wife needs to do it place the dot where she wants to put the shot.

I also have a sig 229 (hence.. my name.... ) and I shoot expert all the time now. I love that gun!!

The sig 239 is about the same as the 228 just slightly thinner and less rounds. I carry a Glock 26 as my backup. I shot a perfect score with the glock. Nice gun. I do not like the look of the other glocks.

swatpro911

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I own two sig 228s and one has a laser in the spring guide. Sweet! I keep that one in the bedroom in case an intruder decides to visit late at night. All the wife needs to do it place the dot where she wants to put the shot.

I also have a sig 229 (hence.. my name.... ) and I shoot expert all the time now. I love that gun!!

The sig 239 is about the same as the 228 just slightly thinner and less rounds. I carry a Glock 26 as my backup. I shot a perfect score with the glock. Nice gun. I do not like the look of the other glocks.
I am trying to buy a sig and which model should I get which will better perform in shooting and accuracy? Also what kind of bullets u use?

markand

imported post

swatpro911 wrote
I am trying to buy a sig and which model should I get which will better perform in shooting and accuracy? Also what kind of bullets u use
All of the SIG's I have ever shot are darned accurate. I like the P229 because it is in the middle of the size range for Classic SIGS, but has a double stack magazine holding 12 rounds of .40/.357 SIG ammo.

As for ammunition selection, check and see what your local police agencies use and give that a try. They probably (hopefully) spent more time and money testing ammunition than you ever could. Also, if you ever shoot somebody in self defense and a prosecutor or civil attorney tries to paint you as a blood thirsty maniac who just had to have the most lethal ammo possible, your lawyer can simply point out that you use the same ammo as the police. I've been using Speer Gold Dot ammo in .357 SIG for the P229.

Wooley

imported post

I have a 228 in 9mm. Anyone got a .40 they want to trade for? I have the gun and 7 mags for it, plus a couple holsters that can go along. I only got it in 9mm because of the deal I got for it...700 bucks for a Rock River AR and the Sig 228!

Anyone? I'll repost...:D

swatpro911

imported post

Wooley wrote:
I have a 228 in 9mm. Anyone got a .40 they want to trade for? I have the gun and 7 mags for it, plus a couple holsters that can go along. I only got it in 9mm because of the deal I got for it...700 bucks for a Rock River AR and the Sig 228!

Anyone? I'll repost...:D
sell me the rock river AR hoe much? $600 my offer