• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Copies of laws and statues

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

I'm curious as to what people carry in their wallets incase they are asked questions by LEOs or curious citizens.

Links would be nice. I'm not sure what NC laws I should carry with me. I'm already going to carry the opencarry.org printout for the state.

Thanks for any help.

ProguninTN

imported post

I have carried a standard 8[sup]1/2[/sup] x 11 printed page in my car or folded up in my pocket with statutes or AG opinions on it. Also, you could emulate John Pierce's method for reference cards. See the following thread.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=170&forum_id=50&jump_to=9466#p9466

While it pertains to TN laws, you could follow the same format substituting NC or any other state's laws.

ProguninTN

packin_NC_79

imported post

There is a document from the NC Department of Justice that details all NC firearms laws. This includes CC as well, but defines what places are off limits to OC as well. You would be surprised how small the OC restricted list actually is. Mostly common sense anyway, other than the restaurant/ alchohol establisment part. Is's 40 pages, but provides a wealth of knowledge. Just pick the key ones you want.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

I hope this helps.

Matt

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

In Washington, I carry the Federal Way, Kent, and Bellevue training bulletins, either in car or in backback.

In Oregon, a page with ORS 166.173, ORS 166.250 (with the belt holster thing) ORS 166.370(1) and (3), with the CHL exemptions highlighted.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know if I speak for the majority or minority of the OCDO members, but I personally don't carry any printed references. I found out the hard way that, even with officially printed laws, some LEOs just wont "believe" you.

It wasn't a gun related incident, but I'll summarize anyway. I have 5% window tint on my car, which is registered in MN, with MN plates obviously. The limit in MN is 50%, but because of the wording of the definition of a "limousine" in the MN statutes, my car qualifies as a limo and is therefore exempt from the tinting regs. (this eventually got clarified and confirmed with the DA of the area that I got pulled and ticketed in.)

I wasn't in the state for 3 days when a state patrol pulled me for my tint, and nothing else. I smiled and explained that I understood why he pulled me over, and that I had a good explanation. I proceeded to explain to him why my tint was legal. He stopped me half-way through and said "this isn't a limousine."

At that point I again smiled and expressed that I understood that it sounded a little silly, then I presented the printed documents with all the necessary information highlighted for easy reference. He read it, tossed it back in my car, stated that he knew better and I could "try that on the judge" if I wanted.

Like I said, once I presented the DA with the same information, along with photographs of my vehicle, she laughed and said "if you're not planning on being a lawyer, you should be." as she dismissed the case.

At the same time, I've found that being able to CONFIDENTLYrespond to questions with immediate, legally accurate explanations can be sufficiently convincing. The key there is to communicate the undeniable fact that you KNOW what you are talking about, without coming off as being rude or belligerent.

That theory allowed me to defuse the situation in the bank where the man questioned having a gun in the bank, and I responded "Yes, in a bank. All though I have a permit to carry concealed, NC law REQUIRES me to have the weapon displayed openly while in the bank so the employees know that I am not a threat." Now while the reason I gave might not have been completely accurate, it was more than enough to shut the guy up.

With all of that being said, the document Matt linked to has caught my attention in the past, and I may very well print it out for myself lol.