• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAXD-9 Open Carry Holster??

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Right now the only thing I have is the stock XDGEAR holster that came with my weapon. In the near future I plan on getting a concealed carry holster however I believe a seperate holster for OC may be the best thing for me since my OC and my CC carrys are going to be totally diffrent. (SOB for CC and 3 o'clock ish for OC). The XDGEAR holster worries me as it has no real retention device and when OCing someone may be able to quickly squirell the gun away from me in a crowded envionment.

What do you use/recomend. I've been eyeballing some lowspeed/highdrag (yup I said it that way on purpose) nylon ones at the gunshop that have a retention strap and a magazine holder on the front side of the holster. I refuse to go any route that will only allow me to carry only the magazine in the weapon. I want at least two mags one in the weapon one backup. I've also considered something like a blackhawk serpa and getting a mag pouch to use.

Thanks for any help. :)

VAopencarry

imported post

Blackhawk Serpa here too. Another upside to the Serpa, when you increase your collection of XD's you can use it for all sizes and calibers. 1 holster for 4 guns is nice. I also have a Wild Bill paddle for my sub compact. Personally not a fan of thumbreaks.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I currently use the SERPA with my XD-45 Compact 4". I have used it with my XD-9SC and XD-9 Service (before I sold it). Like everyone said, it's a nice platform. I use the paddle attachment since it's pretty easy to remove the holster.

I've used a Hume JIT with both XD-9s. I don't think it has sufficient retention for open carry. It's good for lounging around the house or CC.

I occasionally use a Hume Agent with thumbbreak for my XD-9SC. I like it. The only gripe is it isn't interchangeable with the different slide lengths.

I'm looking at a Tucker Gunleather HF2 for fancy occasions. There's something beautiful about his holsters.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Looks like I know what I'm getting when i go to the gunstore that I frequent tomorrow.

It may costs me a little more but these are good guys and I would like to see my money go here (as long as it dosen't cost an outrageous ammout:D)

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Alright I wound up not getting a Serpa because they didn't carry Blackhawk equipment in there.

I got a nylon holster with a thumb break retention strap. I spent the better part of two hrs walking around my house (with a condition 4 weapon) praticing drawing out of it and aiming in quickly. Deffinatly not a CCW jobbie but it does the open carry job well.

I also found out that an XD mag fits perfectly into a Gerber multi-tool pouch.

I'll post pics as soon as I can find my camera's damn USB cable:cuss:

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Alright found my usb cable here are some pics of my current OC setup. CLICK PICS FOR LARGER VIEW.

My spare magazine is carried in a pouch for a Gerber multi-tool. I couldn't believe how perfect it fit.

Here it is with the mag pulled out.

I use a combonation of the belt loop and the clip. I run the belt through the belt loop and hook the clip into my Jeans for added stability. You can see the thumb break device at the top. Works smoothly. Straps are adjustable to where you may need/want them.

Yes this holster can be setup for southpaw use. All in all not bad for a 20 dollar holster. I tested the retention with the wife trying to get it out of there and with no prior experience with how the thumbbreak worked I was able to keep her from getting it.

Here is me with my setup on. not the best of pics I'll try to get another one later.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Alright now I'm packin' in a Serpa. The nylon one worked great for the time I used it but the Serpa is much more sturdy and stedier. I'll have to post up some pictures tomorrow.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Woody wrote:
How well does the serpa work with the XD sub compact?
It works very well with the subcompact. You have about 1.5 to 2 inches (SWAG) of extra holster below the muzzle. Some have removed this extra with saws and/or dremel tools.

The subcompact is no less stable in the Serpa. It doesn't rattle or move or anything like that.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Woody wrote:
How well does the serpa work with the XD sub compact?
It works very well with the subcompact. You have about 1.5 to 2 inches (SWAG) of extra holster below the muzzle. Some have removed this extra with saws and/or dremel tools.

The subcompact is no less stable in the Serpa. It doesn't rattle or move or anything like that.
Now here is where I have a problem with this holster. My firearm wiggles around in there a little. Not enough to cause any real concern I just expected it to hold the weapon a little tighter.