• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can an AL resident CC w/non-res. permit?

AlabamaGunner

imported post

Most States require you to live in their State for six months before they will issue a permit. So, if you live in AL. it might be hard to get a GA. permit for example.

Others more qualified may chime in...

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

You can only carry in Alabama with a non-resident permit of another state if you are not an Alabama resident. If you meet the qualifications of an Alabama resident, you're permit from another states is void and you must therefore obtain an Alabama Pistol Permit.

Althought I would also keep in mind that loopholes are for those of us who know the laws. The majority of the LEOs around here haven't the slightest clue what the gun laws are. As I posted in another thread, I was almost arrested the day I got my permit because I was stopped by an officer at a license/insurance checkpoint (another blatent violation of our rights), produced my permit and informed him I was packing, and he had the audacity to accuse me of falsifying the permit and possessing the firearm illegally (I was 18 at the time). It took another officer coming to the scene to deescalate the situation.

Be wary of legal loopholes, because if you try them, you may be jumping through them for quite a while trying to get yourself out of a pickle. Whether the officer knows the law or not, if he thinks you are breaking the law, he will arrest you, and once that happens, all you can do is wait... and pray ;).

Andrew

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
Can an Alabama resident conceal carry, permanantly, with a non-resident license from a state that has reciprocity with Alabama?

If this is possible it would be a great way around these Alabama sherriff's adding made up restrictions on you.
Outside of your car, open carry is another "great way around . . . restrictions" because no license is required to open carry.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

GaGunOwner wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
You can only carry in Alabama with a non-resident permit of another state if you are not an Alabama resident. If you meet the qualifications of an Alabama resident, you're permit from another states is void and you must therefore obtain an Alabama Pistol Permit.

Althought I would also keep in mind that loopholes are for those of us who know the laws. The majority of the LEOs around here haven't the slightest clue what the gun laws are. As I posted in another thread, I was almost arrested the day I got my permit because I was stopped by an officer at a license/insurance checkpoint (another blatent violation of our rights), produced my permit and informed him I was packing, and he had the audacity to accuse me of falsifying the permit and possessing the firearm illegally (I was 18 at the time). It took another officer coming to the scene to deescalate the situation.

Be wary of legal loopholes, because if you try them, you may be jumping through them for quite a while trying to get yourself out of a pickle. Whether the officer knows the law or not, if he thinks you are breaking the law, he will arrest you, and once that happens, all you can do is wait... and pray ;).

Andrew
From the posts on this site, Alabama police really creep me out.

So in Alabama police can arrest you for no reason? The consensus of the board is that Alabama cops will arrest you for legally open carrying, with or without the permit, even though it is legal!

Also, they will arrest you if you are using a "loophole" because they don't like it or they are ignorant of it, again, even though you are legal.

I'd like to see the law stating that an Alabama resident cannot carry with a non-resident permit from another state. I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'd like to see proof of this, in writing. An AG opinion, code section, case law, etc.

I believe that there are some state(s) that a resident can carry on a non-res. from another state. Again, I can't say for sure. Missouri comes to mind. I think I remember reading thatMissouri residents were getting out of state permits because they were cheaper/easier to get. Seems like another state too but I do not remember.

I wouldn't say that Alabama Police CAN arrest you for no reason, but they WILL arrest you for no reason. They'll find something to charge you with... usually disorderly conduct or something else if you're not actually breaking the law. You may get lucky like I did and have an intelligent prosecutor who sees the danger in pursuing such frivolous charges, but you may not. You are also looking at a lot of money for legal representation if you do get arrested.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Alabama does not allow its residents to carry using a reciprocal state's license in lieu of an Alabama license.

Ala. Code §
13A-11-85:

Section 13A-11-85
Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.
(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).

(Act 2001-494, p. 862, §1.)

kurtmax_0

imported post

^^^

Right. I think we already considered this before, but the legislature was sneaky and thought of the loopholes it could make :(