• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Wal-Mart Encounter...

bayboy42

imported post

Well after open carrying for almost 1 year solid, and reading opencarry.org for almost as long, I had my first encounter. Now before yall start getting fired up cause you think I'm about to write about an overzealous manager on a power trip, or an ex-marine who has issues with open carrying....I say RELAX!! I had a good encounter:what:

I reached the end of an isle an was noticed two males (somewhere between 20 and 24, clean cut) heading straight for me with a look of curiousity/concern/wonder/doubt on their faces. When they got close, the lead male said "Excuse me sir". I took a deep breath and muttered "WooooooSaaa" under my breath and did a quick mental assessment of the two males:
Badges....Negative
Gun displayed....Negative
Had I seen them before....Negative (except for about 3 isles earlier 5-10 min before)
Am i about to get hassled....I don't think so.

I responded "yes?".

The lead male said "Do you have a concealed weapons permit?" Hmmmm, maybe my quick mental assessment was wrong. :exclaim: I said "Yes, and I can only assume you are asking because of the firearm openly displayed on my right side." I was waiting for the hassle to begin and he states "I've been considering getting my permit and really wanted to talk to somebody that has theirs to get a better understanding of the process involved". Whew......not gonna have to bash another Wal-Mart on OCDO tonight....great.

Anyhow, I chatted with the two folks for 5-10 minutes discussing VA's open carry laws (which they were both unaware of) and also the process for obtaining a CHP. They both thanked me for the information. As I was getting ready to walk off, the lead male says "can I ask you one more question and you don't have to answer". I said "Sure why not!". He asked "So why do you chose to open carry?" Now I was excited.....100s of great quotes from OCDO started running through my head...because I can't carry a Cop....because I can....etc. I responded "I carry for self protection and I choose to open carry because the great state of VA allows me that right". They thanked me once again and headed off down the chip isle.

In retrospect, I only missed one thing.....the words http://www.opencarry.org never came out of my mouth:banghead: Please find it your hearts to forgive me!!:shock:

vt357

imported post

Very nice. Now those are the encounters I'd like to hear about more often. Which Walmart was this? The one on Jefferson or on 17?

LEO 229

imported post

Looks like you got to educate two people and if they eachtell two others that will be 6 educated people. :D

Good job!

I think I like the response... "I carry for self protection anddo not have my CHP yet.Since VA permits me to OC.. I will do so till my permit is issued."

I think that covers everything easy enough.

mercutio545

imported post

Well I'm glad you got to actually educate some people. Every time I get kicked out of Wal-Mart for OC and try to explain myself, it usually falls on deaf ears. I did go there last night, however (Short Pump), and the security ninja that spotted me and got me kicked out last time was there. He saw me and didn't approach me, but I caught a little glare. I'm guessing that Wal-Mart is finally getting the picture?

sitedzn

imported post

a coworker & i are planning a walmart trip tomorrow while ocing - i can only imagine the looks when 2 of us show up with sidearms:what:

edit: this will be our first walmart experience (his first time ever) - will post the results.